Home

Theory/Question RE: CPU Play Calling

This is a discussion on Theory/Question RE: CPU Play Calling within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Theory/Question RE: CPU Play Calling

When M15 came out one of the features EA touted is playing vs. the CPU would be more like playing against another user than any previous Madden. I think they "accomplished" this by data mining M15 user play calling like crazy and integrating these strategies with their own.

I remember being very impressed the first few weeks after release with the CPU AI and specifically their play calling. About a month in I remember seeing the often complained about Verts patterns called on 3rd & short on the reg along with some other unrealistic tendencies. This could be explained by user play calling in online games with unrealistic structures and 4th down rules (In many leagues 3rd & 1 is a great time to take a shot down the field bc people can pickup an almost automatic 1st on 4th and short.) If so it should be an easy fix for EA to reweigh the distributions on USER play calls vs their original game plan for proper balancing.

I automatically DL CPU Playcall "Community_Suggestions" every Thursday/Friday along with the Roster update. The "Community_Suggestions" file can be found in "Load/Delete Files" from the main screen.

Does anyone have further insight about the topic or deleted the Community Suggestions file and noticed a significant difference?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: Theory/Question RE: CPU Play Calling

That's why I'm happy to he part of a league that strives for realism. No 4th down attempts unless you're in opponent territory. 3rd down isn't a "take a shot" down.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:16 AM   #3
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise408
That's why I'm happy to he part of a league that strives for realism. No 4th down attempts unless you're in opponent territory. 3rd down isn't a "take a shot" down.
Why wouldn't 3rd down be a "take a shot" down? If you are 3rd and 1, it seems perfectly reasonable that a team would try to catch you off guard with a shot down the field.

So, does the community suggestions file actually impact CPU play calling? I'd like to hear more about this...

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website
Old 12-11-2014, 02:40 AM   #4
Just started!

I'm happy to he part of a league that strives for realism.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95
Why wouldn't 3rd down be a "take a shot" down? If you are 3rd and 1, it seems perfectly reasonable that a team would try to catch you off guard with a shot down the field.

So, does the community suggestions file actually impact CPU play calling? I'd like to hear more about this...
I agree with this. Not every time, but when I get a feel for a defense's tendencies and no they sell out more often on 3rd and short, I definitely will take a shot.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
Rookie

I don't have a problem taking shots on 3rd & 1. The CPU is consistently overaggressive and unimaginative in these spots.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 21

Does anyone know if Community Suggestions impact CPU play calling?
Old 12-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95

It's not that shots aren't taken, but that they are strategic and not just done on a whim, since on 4th down you'll actually have to punt if you're still in your own territory.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »