Home

Lawsuit by Former NFL Players Against EA Allowed to Advance

This is a discussion on Lawsuit by Former NFL Players Against EA Allowed to Advance within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #49
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Lawsuit by Former NFL Players Against EA Allowed to Advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Really? lol
Yeah. My perception was that (and obviously I could be wrong) you were looking for a way to shoehorn the exclusive deal in here, as often happens; because making the leap from "EA being used for former player likenesses" to "This is due, in part, to the exclusive deal" takes some mental gymnastics.

That being said, I don't want to derail the thread with a stupid argument, so I'm just going to leave my end of it here.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:25 PM   #50
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Yeah, no. The lawsuit is over past use, and as far as anyone's identified this was well before exclusivity. Shoving the exclusivity agenda into this is just another way to be able to go off about the devil that EA is in the eyes of some and about how the company is responsible for all that's wrong in your world. This has nothing to do with a lack of options to litigate.

A word processor is a much broader tool than a video game allowing you to create others intellectual property only in that video game that is generating a revenue in part because of those features. A comparable example would be Marvel v City of Heroes. http://www.joystiq.com/2005/12/14/ma...wsuit-settled/
The complaint spawned from the ability to create characters in City of Heroes that closely resembled characters from the Marvel Universe.
Use some common sense here guys, if EA themselves aren't allowed to create players in their own game without licensing, why do you think it's legal for you to? They absolutely could send a C&D to Bob and to EA for any violations. Will/would they? Remains to be seen. Companies don't tend to invest in things that are going to encourage legal challenges because they enjoy making money.
NCSoft settled in that case, and according to that article, Marvel had half of its complaint thrown out. Not only that, but there were no changes to the character creator as a result of that lawsuit, according to that article. Companies sometimes settle, not because they are guilty, but because the cost of winning is greater than the settlement. So, yes, anybody can file a lawsuit, but whether it holds water is another story.

If a company were to release a football video game using the licenses from the FBS schools with generic players, but included a player editor so that gamers could create their own characters to use in the game, then that company would, likely, not be held responsible if a group of gamers collaborated in creating an entire roster consisting of real players.

Any game that has a character creator could potentially be the target of a lawsuit if all it took was being able to make a character closely resemble a real human being.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:29 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 0
A lawsuit like this would go absolutely nowhere if a company were to release a deep editor with no license. Take Fire Pro Wrestling as an example. A a game that has one of the deepest editors I've ever seen. And it has been used for a long time to replicate pretty much every wrestler in appearance and moves. The players look and move exactly like their real life counterparts. Not only would they have absolutely no legal footing. Anyone who goes after the users would be committing suicide. You would essentially be attacking your biggest fans.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Jpollack, exactly what I was saying but you said it better...

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 01-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #53
MVP

Gman 18's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollack34
A lawsuit like this would go absolutely nowhere if a company were to release a deep editor with no license. Take Fire Pro Wrestling as an example. A a game that has one of the deepest editors I've ever seen. And it has been used for a long time to replicate pretty much every wrestler in appearance and moves. The players look and move exactly like their real life counterparts. Not only would they have absolutely no legal footing. Anyone who goes after the users would be committing suicide. You would essentially be attacking your biggest fans.
Is this is the case then why do you think EA shys away from enabling the ability to edit draft classes to their games?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman 18
Is this is the case then why do you think EA shys away from enabling the ability to edit draft classes to their games?

Precisely because they advertise themselves as a licensed product?

Heavy is the head that bought the crown !
Old 01-09-2015, 08:52 PM   #55
MVP

cowboy_kmoney's Arena

OVR: 11

Well i hope The NFL will drop the exclusive and open the doors for others to make a game also.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #56
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman 18

I think the answer is simple incompetence.

They backed themselves into a corner with their progression system and storylines.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »