Home

How to beat zone?

This is a discussion on How to beat zone? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #9
MVP

Hiro1's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: How to beat zone?

Cover 3 is by far the most used defensive coverage online, Its in nearly every formation but its effectiveness out of 46 makes that formation extremely popular. If you cant beat cover 3 in madden 15 your'e going to have a very bad time. Here are some tips for beating that pesky Cover 3.

Passing 101

- When picking a pass play your primary target is highlighted in red. This is the guy you should be looking for 2nd.
- Presnap you should pick a 3rd target. In the event your primary is covered he is the guy you throw to.
- Choose a third target (usually a quick route) in the event you're blitzed and need to get rid of the ball. (1st read)

Now to the good stuff.

In general, screens and draws are very effective against Cover 3. Their effectiveness depends on the quality of your opponents defensive line.

Below are concepts I like to run against Cover 3

Spacing aka hitches hitches every where. Like in all pass plays you should only be reading one side of the field.

In this case you're reading the OLB on the right. His job is the flats, leaving the outside WR Smith Jr open for an easy 5-10 yard gain.

Curl Concept

Same read. In some cases the Safety has the flats in others it's the OLB. In any case recognize the flat defender. If he covers the flat hit the Curl. If he covers the curl hit the flat. This particular play is great against man as well. If you read man the post(slot WR) is usually open.

In this case The OLB jumped to the flats leaving the Curl route wide open.

Flood Concept

Like the last 2 concepts you are reading the OLB. He has to make a decision to cover the flat or the corner. The CB has to respect the outside wr's deep route.

Once again the OLB chooses the flats leaving the corner route open.

This last concept I debated sharing. It's my favorite and after 200+ games online I'm the only one I've ever seen utilize it.

Switch concept

This concept involves the pump fake. Did you know you can pump fake? Did you know you can pump fake to specific targets?
While holding L1 hit the corresponding icon.

Switch concept involves an in route by the outside wr and a wheel route by the slot. In this play it's a post by the outside wr. The post against most cover 3s WILL be open if you throw it as soon as he breaks, BUT if you want the big yards pump fake to him(R1 + O)

The CB will bite on the post leaving the wheel route streaking up the sideline.

Happy Hunting!!
Old 01-13-2015, 12:53 AM   #10
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18

So funny you should ask. Just did a video on beating zone (and man). However, I would start by saying not to throw deep routes all game or a high pct which is kind of what you indicated. Might not be what you meant but, as someone else mentioned, take your 5-7 yards and move down the field. That's realistic football. You can check out the vid for some more help.

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website
Old 01-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #11
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayenomics
Outside coverage in zone ends flag routes.
Not really. Even when using a curl-to-flat zone unless your opponent specifically tells his defense to take the over-the-top route, then you have an open man. If he decides to keep using the over-the-top coverage, everything underneath will be open for a good five yards.

Flag Route pretty much beats everything in Madden to the point you almost have to manually cover it.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #12
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

OVR: 0

Anything that can get multiple offensive players around 1 defensive player will work. Don't let everyone confuse you, its a quite simple concept.

Stacking sides will ruin zone coverage. If someone was running zone on me I'd run a similar route system each time.

If you put 3 WRs to one side, and have a RB, hot route the RB to the flats where the WRs are. Have a WR streak (outside), have one do a slant Middle), and (inside) one do an out-route.

Their cover guys will have to make decisions, and you will win every time, if you make the right read.

If the DB stays in the flat with the RB, you'll have a split second to throw the streak (WR closest to the sideline), if he goes w/ the WR, wait for the outroute, or dump off to the RB. If those are both covered, its going to be almost impossible to stop the slant from the middle WR.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro1
Cover 3 is by far the most used defensive coverage online, Its in nearly every formation but its effectiveness out of 46 makes that formation extremely popular. If you cant beat cover 3 in madden 15 your'e going to have a very bad time. Here are some tips for beating that pesky Cover 3.

(snip)

This deserves more than a like. Fantastic post.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
Not really. Even when using a curl-to-flat zone unless your opponent specifically tells his defense to take the over-the-top route, then you have an open man. If he decides to keep using the over-the-top coverage, everything underneath will be open for a good five yards.

Flag Route pretty much beats everything in Madden to the point you almost have to manually cover it.
I'd give up 5 yard passes all day over the yardage from flag routes. making people march 80 yards, 5 yards at a time will usually lead to mistakes. It takes a lot of patience to run an offense like that, and most Madden players don't have it.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:28 PM   #15
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayenomics
I'd give up 5 yard passes all day over the yardage from flag routes. making people march 80 yards, 5 yards at a time will usually lead to mistakes. It takes a lot of patience to run an offense like that, and most Madden players don't have it.
I agree. I try to give up short plays on 1st and 2nd and force them to make mistakes on third with pressure. You've got to mix it up and confuse them periodically, but most guys want big play and aren't patient enough to nickel and dime their way down the field

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #16
Just started!

OVR: 0

You are doing the right thing. Just pick apart a zone defense and drive down the field. You don't have to have deep passes to have success.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »