Home

As a community we can not support Madden 16 without Overhauled Penalties.

This is a discussion on As a community we can not support Madden 16 without Overhauled Penalties. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #17
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: As a community we can not support Madden 16 without Overhauled Penalties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
Once again: make a sim setting and a lobby setting. Let the guys who don't want any fumbles, bad throws, bad snaps, slips, penalties, botched FG/Punt exchanges, or anything else to go wrong outside of their ultimate control have their own mode where nothing goes wrong.
Its really that simple just have people turn sim elements off that don't want realistic penalties, FG%, Fumbles, etc. I don't understand why EA doesn't get this. It has to be because the code is so broken and layered ontop of other broken code that it can't be fixed.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #18
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I can't tell you how much I would love Real FG%

It would make my day lol

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 01-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #19
Rookie

ianlast's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedLion14
I'm going to have to disagree, at least in part. Should the actions of the player that would normally be penalties be called? Absolutely. Should there be seven or eight pass interference or false start calls that happen just to meet a "quota." No.

Picture this - down 21-17, :45 left on the clock, 4th and 1, doesn't matter where on the field. The clock is stopped from an incomplete pass, you line up to run the ball and then...false start by your right guard, whom you literally cannot control whatsoever. Now it's 4th and 6, you have to pass, and fail to convert. Game over, you lost because of a random factor.

Realistic? Yes. Fun gameplay? I don't think so, because there is literally nothing you can do to prevent it.
Realism and fun gameplay are intertwined for me.

I would be just fine with that scenario you describe. I imagine there are thousands of "sim" oriented Madden gamers that would be as well.

This post here describes precisely why Madden hasn't had properly functioning penalties in years. Most casuals don't want to see penalties, and there's no consensus among the more hardcore gamers about it. Therefore, why would they spend time on it?
Old 01-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlast
Realism and fun gameplay are intertwined for me.

I would be just fine with that scenario you describe. I imagine there are thousands of "sim" oriented Madden gamers that would be as well.

This post here describes precisely why Madden hasn't had properly functioning penalties in years. Most casuals don't want to see penalties, and there's no consensus among the more hardcore gamers about it. Therefore, why would they spend time on it?
It would be nice to have the choice. I'm with you in that I would like to see a false start at a critical moment affect the challenge to me to win a game. I would prefer it not be 100%, though.

If I construct an OL with high awareness or other attributes that affect penalties, I would like it to happen less. Not never, but less. You might also have to set the penalties to be tied with who your coach is. The trick is finding the variable that makes sense to include in a video game that results in more or less penalties based on the players, the coach, and the situation.

One thing I actually liked about the NCAA series was that you could set your team to hold their blocks longer, but the risk was more holding calls. You could set your DL to get better jumps, but they were more likely to jump offsides.

The key in every sports game, for me, is risk/reward. I don't mind if we can slide down to arcade style and skip the penalties. But it sure would be nice to be able to slide up to something more realistic.

But let me tell you, you will be surprised by how many people will throw fit when a realistic number of penalties are called. While you cannot get the right penalties called all of the time, you can finesse the slides to find the right amount of penalties and yards called. But when I included that, moots our sim loving coaches flipped out. They would claim that there were too many, even when the numbers were still short of real life.

I suspect part of the problem with pass interference is that right now, it would just make the passing game even more dominant. And guys would fill the message boards with complaints that their lack of precise control of DB's is leading to a ton of PI's when they used to get INT's.

So, yeah, I want realistic penalties reflected in the game. But no, I'm not going to make a stand. I understand that it can easily be a source of frustration between gamers because, I'm telling you, no one ever thinks penalties re fair when they see them upon TV. If the devs can't perfectly animate the penalty, gamers will flip out. And no one will agree on the proper frequency.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #21
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

I love these threads every year in every EA Sports game forum. A sim setting and a lobby setting would be nice. I am all about options. If people want something, let them have the ability to turn it on. If people don't want something, let them have the ability to turn it off. Should be as simple as that.

The whole code database need to be re-created from the ground up. From animations to ratings scale, re-do it all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2015, 02:14 PM   #22
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

The only thing that I will say above is that even your best OL commit holding calls on critical drives.

If there is a place to toggle, sim or arcade, nobody will be whining and complaining.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:25 PM   #23
MVP

RyanLaFalce's Arena

OVR: 0

We all know that we'll end up caving and getting the game

Sent From My Galaxy S7
Old 01-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #24
Hail To The Redskins!

cjallure24's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLaFalce
We all know that we'll end up caving and getting the game

Sent From My Galaxy S7
Not really, everyone reaches a breaking point. With the current gen, there is no reason the most basic elements of the sport, isn't being represented.

Unfortunately, the sim community isn't as popular as the MUT YouTube generation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »