Home

Watching MLB 2015 make me realize how far Madden is from that

This is a discussion on Watching MLB 2015 make me realize how far Madden is from that within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Watching MLB 2015 make me realize how far Madden is from that

It is not fair to compare MLB The Show to Madden.
It is apples and oranges. The Show does not have to worry about animating multiple actors colliding with each other.

Madden definitely has its problems, but leave baseball games out of it
Old 03-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #10
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
It is apples and oranges. The Show does not have to worry about animating multiple actors colliding with each other.

All due respect -- don't want it to seem like I'm blasting you at all -- but this is a point that has been made around here for half a decade, and I think it was a fair one back then, but it's 2015 now. We are in next gen. Other games such as Fifa and even NBA 2K are able to handle animations where multiple characters are in motion at one and one another.

The problem as I've always seen it, and maybe now is starting to be mitigated, is the approach. Other developers like The Show and 2K were willing to sacrifice a bit of user control for a system that was more animation based, whereas madden wanted that twitchy control at one point, that then evolved into the branching animations system that gave the user more control at the expense of smoother animations.

But even if I concede the point about the collisions, it is completely inexcusable to still not have signature animations and the pititul running animations that are in the game.

Julio Jones ona broken field run in the game doesn't move anything close to the way he does in real life. Reggie Bush's slightly upright, violent gait when he breaks loose isn't anywhere near represented in the game.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:39 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
All due respect -- don't want it to seem like I'm blasting you at all -- but this is a point that has been made around here for half a decade, and I think it was a fair one back then, but it's 2015 now. We are in next gen. Other games such as Fifa and even NBA 2K are able to handle animations where multiple characters are in motion at one and one another.

The problem as I've always seen it, and maybe now is starting to be mitigated, is the approach. Other developers like The Show and 2K were willing to sacrifice a bit of user control for a system that was more animation based, whereas madden wanted that twitchy control at one point, that then evolved into the branching animations system that gave the user more control at the expense of smoother animations.

But even if I concede the point about the collisions, it is completely inexcusable to still not have signature animations and the pititul running animations that are in the game.

Julio Jones ona broken field run in the game doesn't move anything close to the way he does in real life. Reggie Bush's slightly upright, violent gait when he breaks loose isn't anywhere near represented in the game.
that is all fine, I'll be the first to agree that Madden is a disappointment.

But critique Madden on its own merits, not that of a baseball game.

I watch footage of Madden and realize how bad the animations are, there is no need to mention a baseball game.

75% of MLB The Show is players standing upright in a single position. A comparison between the two does not make much sense to me.

I'm not a fan of lumping all sports games together. Madden is as different from The Show as it is from Skyrim.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #12
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
that is all fine, I'll be the first to agree that Madden is a disappointment.

But critique Madden on its own merits, not that of a baseball game.

I watch footage of Madden and realize how bad the animations are, there is no need to mention a baseball game.

75% of MLB The Show is players standing upright in a single position. A comparison between the two does not make much sense to me.

I'm not a fan of lumping all sports games together. Madden is as different from The Show as it is from Skyrim.

I agree! Madden shouldn't be compared to The Show at all or NBA 2K or Fifa. or NHL. They are all different and should never be compared for their animations from sport to sport. Football is by far the hardest for them to get right.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:53 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
I agree! Madden shouldn't be compared to The Show at all or NBA 2K or Fifa. or NHL. They are all different and should never be compared for their animations from sport to sport. Football is by far the hardest for them to get right.
Fifa may be the exception as the two games share the same engine and it seems one utilizes it far better than the other. Besides that the playing surface is similar, as are the number of participants, and the interaction level between the actors are of a closer number.

With The Show, it is not so much about one sport being more difficult to capture, though I do agree that animation wise it is the case. It is more about how different they are. Ever since the move to this generation of consoles I see the comparisons increase. Okay fine, they are both sports titles but from a development standpoint it is apples to oranges. Might as well say that the walking and running animations in Destiny make you realize how far behind Madden is.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

I'm normally not that guy but animation quirks aside, this is THE best Madden ever made...and I'm normally one that buys day 1 then sells it in favor of spending the remainder of the year with NCAA

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2015, 02:08 AM   #15
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

Im talking about simple running animation. Qb throwing animation. Even those R not right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2015, 08:52 AM   #16
Rookie

mlb61's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21
Im talking about simple running animation. Qb throwing animation. Even those R not right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing is simple in football. Not running. Not throwing. Football is barely controlled chaos. You'd understand if you'd played the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »