Home

Watching MLB 2015 make me realize how far Madden is from that

This is a discussion on Watching MLB 2015 make me realize how far Madden is from that within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #17
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Watching MLB 2015 make me realize how far Madden is from that

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb61
Nothing is simple in football. Not running. Not throwing. Football is barely controlled chaos. You'd understand if you'd played the game.
So it's unreasonable to expect Madden to have correct signature throwing motions?
Old 03-17-2015, 12:07 PM   #18
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
that is all fine, I'll be the first to agree that Madden is a disappointment.

But critique Madden on its own merits, not that of a baseball game.

I watch footage of Madden and realize how bad the animations are, there is no need to mention a baseball game.

75% of MLB The Show is players standing upright in a single position. A comparison between the two does not make much sense to me.

I'm not a fan of lumping all sports games together. Madden is as different from The Show as it is from Skyrim.
Then what are we supposed to compare madden to?

EA owns the rights to the NFL, and NCAA IS DEAD. All that is left for us to compare to are other sporting games.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #19
Pro

majesty95's Arena

Other posters are right about comparing different sports. They are apples and oranges. You can say "hey, this is cool I wish Madden could do this" and that is fine. But saying "hey, MLB does this so Madden should be able to also" is flawed logic.

As has been mentioned, having 22 guys on the field interacting is much different than having 2-10 moving at the same time. And, even though FIFA has 22 players, they aren't all interacting with each other. The GK is standing still mostly. The D mostly plays back in a soft zone. The wing players don't really get involved if the play is on the opposite side or end of the pitch. Its similar, yes, but very, very different.

I don't know what all goes into the coding and I'm certainly not saying that Madden couldn't do certain things better. However, 99% of us have no idea what it takes to make the game do what we want. We think "hey, this sounds great, they should do it" and expect its easy to implement. Usually it is not.

I truly believe that the guys working on Madden want to make the best game possible. I really do. But I do not know what their limitations are.

Are their budgetary constraints that keep them from hiring more guys to do some of the things that they want? Are there technological constraints that, with the nature of having 22 players all interacting within the same 20-30 yard area, are very hard to program and get right? Does having helmets and pads and things like flowing towels and hair make these other animations harder to program?

What about player ratings? Does having 20+ player ratings for each player somehow effect animations? You wouldn't think so but it may. What about the officials and sidelines and extra players? Fans and stadium video boards? How does all of that play into the overall presentation?

Unfortunately, without another football game, we will never know. We can ask for things that other games are doing but we will never know whether they are truly possible in Madden until we see them. And even then they may not work like we had hoped.

Keep bringing up ideas and suggesting improvements by all means. But don't just assume that the Madden team isn't trying as hard as the devs of other sports games. It just might not be possible given what they have to work with.

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website
Old 03-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #20
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

Ok i´m not going to compared to any other video game ever existed, since it seems, that Madden is the most complicated of all the video games ever existed.

So that being said, i will say just this:

EA please, make the running animations and throwing animations more lifelike, they are too robotic as they are know. it feels like the Legs are not doing the whole motion that is need it.

Thank you.

Last edited by booker21; 03-17-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #21
Pro

adub88's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21
Ok i´m not going to compared to any other video game ever existed, since it seems, that Madden is the most complicated of all the video games ever existed.

So that being said, i will say just this:

EA please, make the running animations and throwing animations more lifelike, they are too robotic as they are know. it feels like the Legs are not doing the whole motion that is need it.

Thank you.
I can't speak for the OP but what I think he's really trying to say this game is not where it should be, especially when you see what other sports game are doing. Forget about it being Football vs. Baseball. The bottom line is the animations in Madden are very dry, robotic, stiff, however you want to call it.

How many years have we asked for better running animations? I've never seen an athlete in real life run like they do in Madden. You look at some of the catching animations and it looks like some guy just jumped in the air and landed on a mat. It just don't look natural, and as result most of the animations come out to be awkward and simply put NOT what we see on Sundays. Whatever happened to this "True Player Motion" they were touting when the Ignite engine was announced? I swore we would finally get realistic running animations, but I guess my expectations were to high.

I truly hope animation quality is/was a big focus for Madden 16.

Last edited by adub88; 03-18-2015 at 01:23 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
Then what are we supposed to compare madden to?

EA owns the rights to the NFL, and NCAA IS DEAD. All that is left for us to compare to are other sporting games.
How about we compare it to how accurately it replicates the sport it is based on?

Last edited by ggsimmonds; 03-17-2015 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Did not mean to sound like a douche
Old 03-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #23
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I know this sounds crazy, but how about we compare it to how accurately it replicates the sport it is based on?
If that's going to be the case the complaints about the animations are no less valid.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
If that's going to be the case the complaints about the animations are no less valid.
Agreed.

But from a developer perspective and a community perspective, what is better? The first post of this thread, or the post by adub a few spots above this?

Forget about what the Show does. They replicate baseball and that is a different beast from football.

If I was a Madden developer and someone asked me why The Show's running animations are so better my reply would be that maybe it is because the running is rather limited in the Show and they don't have to consider things like helmets, pads, quickly changing direction, etc.

Now ask me why Madden's running animations do not look like what we see on Sundays.

Adub's middle paragraph echoes my thoughts perfectly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »