Home

Why did Madden take away blocking punts?

This is a discussion on Why did Madden take away blocking punts? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Why did Madden take away blocking punts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
20-30 is not an astronomical number, depending on the number of games played. There were 23 blocked punts in the 2014 regular season, according to the NFL stats page, 17 in 2013, 21 in 2012. And I specifically remember one season early in the 2000s where there were 10 blocked punts by week 6 in the NFL.

There are 256 games each NFL regular season which roughly means about 8 percent of the games included a blocked punt in those three years.

That means if this guy played 312 games of Madden, assuming the numbers lined up he would be right about at 25 blocked punts.

I don't know how many games he has played, but I myself have likely played about 500, between online CFM, online play now, couch rivalries, and solo CFM. Which means, based on roughly 8 percent of games including a blocked punt, should have seen around 40 - never have I ever seen 1, ever.

I think many times the community seems to over react to things, without thinking through the actuality of how it compares to the NFL.

There are glitches that allow for blocks, but I want to see something way more organic and within the natural flow of the game - should not be every game, but if you play a 100 plus games you should have likely seen a couple blocks...
True, but he was specifically talking about the user controlled player should have had 20-30 blocks. I honestly don't know how blocked punts are distributed amongst guys lined up to block a punt in real life but I'm sure it's more than 1 guy who gets them all. So if his one user controlled guy should have had 20-30 then his team as a whole should have had many more than that.
Think about it like sacks. Unless you're "cheesing" user controlled sacks only represent a percentage of the total number of sacks you team gets. Like I said I don't know how many different guys based on where they line up block punts but I'm guessing his 20-30 would only represent 1/4 - 1/7 of total block punts meaning his total number of games would have to be 4-7 times more than listed above to be realistic.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:21 AM   #10
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Why did Madden take away blocking punts?

^^^Fair assessment. You will get no argument from me on the particulars of who gets them, but never having any is just plain ridiculous.

Things like this are why I keep asking repeatedly for special teams to get upgraded in numerous ways;

bad snaps, botched holds, missed assignments, varied blocking schemes, varied fakes - not every team in the NFL runs the 2 fake punt options we currently have.
motioning the "backfield blockers" on the punt team
"formation audibles" within special teams like you come out in normal punt - the other team is in punt block, you should be able to audible into max protect punt formation...

Get rid of the glitchery do, the "turbo defensive jump" crap, and make line adjustments work for both defending and executing punts/fgs. Have the CPU controlled players "adapt" if a user gets close to a block one time and he goes back to that same player/position the next time have the blockers "cut off" his previous route to the block, or cut block him, or double team him or slide block his way. Or give us the option to use the hot route system to accomplish these things...

Custom sub packages could help here as well so you could put a higher awr/spd/acc player as your "personal protector" meaning he would be more likely to see the unblocked player and head him off...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »