Home

Draft Scouting Question?

This is a discussion on Draft Scouting Question? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #17
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Draft Scouting Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
Personally I only scout prospects that are expected to go in the first 4 rounds (except FB's, kickers and punters) and I only scout key traits like the ones that were listed by Cloud. After the 4th round If someone from my draft board is still there I will draft them, if not I draft randomly. I love it because it gives me a good mix of gems and busts. I wish Madden would hide ratings completely from scouting and make it more realistic but I don't ever see that happening.
Or at least hide the ratings for all players in their, say, first year or so. In the preseason of their second year is when they would become unlocked in my scenario. It would make you hold onto rookies that whole first year -- and potentially force you to cut a decent veteran -- because you just don't know (like in real life) how good they're going to be.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 3

When you guys draft do you only draft players that fit your scheme or will your draft any player regardless of scheme?
Old 05-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #19
Esports Manager @ Twitch

CloudFuel's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by niftyjets
When you guys draft do you only draft players that fit your scheme or will your draft any player regardless of scheme?
I don't trust the game to properly label schemes, so I scout all players. I just figure out my minimum requirements (like a QB has to have ATLEAST an A in THP) and then only scout the players that meet that requirement. Saves a ton of SP.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3

You can't back up your way being more efficient but it seems to have worked well for your purposes.

I have to ask, the last part about the online league you were in, what kind of owners were there that were scouting and drafting and only you unearthed these gems and SS development players exactly? If they are as good as you are saying then these guys never got take in the draft, and if you won 2 Super Bowls and were drafting at the end of each round none of the other 31 teams found these studs? Seems strange is all.

I start with Intangible, if it isn't at least a C I move on so I don't scout the other two and waste the other 50 scouting points so I am a bit more efficient and I am only scouting specific positions. I don't need to scout areas I don't need help in and I started with the 49ers in my league so obviously I am all set at OL, QB, TE, LB and safety for the most part and I have devoted most of my time to DE, RB, WR and CB. Plus the two areas you said where you got 3 studs, WR and CB are full of great players in every draft I've seen while RB, DL and safety are very hit and miss.

It's great you have found success scouting the way you described but I don't think you need to try and put everyone down that scouts the other way. We are all constrained by the same Madden chains after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthboundMysfit
Bull....

Hands down my way is 10x more "efficient"..(thx to Cloud Fuel, for expanding and proving my point further, above).. Don't knock it until you've tried it. I've not only tried your way, but I've done research to see where the flaws in that way are, and it's so wasteful it's not even funny.

You spend 25 points for the ITG grade, then you spend 25 for PHY, then you spend 25 more for personality. Grand total of 75 per player. 10 players and you are out 750 points!... 100 players, which is a little over 3 rounds worth of players and you're talking 7500 scouting points. Which is way more than you even get for all season, and you haven't even scouted the last 4 rounds of people or the "undrafteded" guys.

With my way, I unveil one letter grade spending 5-10 points, and already know more for certain than you do with spending 50-75 per player.

Yesterday I did a draft with only 6 picks, my first 3 rounders were all Superstar Dev. Why and how you ask. Because I knew the exact players I was interested in after spending little over 1000 scouting points, which left me 5000+ to use looking at the top guys on my board(guys in round 1-3). I found my top pick, moved on to my 2nd rounder.

First guy I looked at (a 6'6" WR) in the middle of round 2 was SS. I moved on. Had a CB projected early round 4 with "B" strength pinpointed asy round 3 pick. Uncovered his development; Superstar. He came out with 97 speed, 84 strength and as a 79 OVR, oh with SS... (Feel dumb yet? If not, you should. But then again, ignorance IS bliss.)

So, At that point(with the three top SS guys in haul), I still (!!!!!!) HAD 3000 scouting points left over to do WHATEVER(!) with for my remaining picks (rounds 4-7)... So I could have scouted 100 or more guys personality, or still looked at 6 guys, who I already knew we're late rounds studs, development trait(which is nearly pointless as finding a SS Dev in the last 4 rounds is extremely rare, the one [the CB] I found I knew he was SS before even spending the 500 points on him, was only double checking).

I was basically set, knowing my 1st 3 picks were a HB, WR and CB with amazing physical and SS Dev. To boot having still half of my total scouting points left over, for basically NOTHING, since I had already scouted one time through on letter grades.

I think you mis-took me saying, I have 5000 scouting point left over for Dev of the players I want, for I used 5000 point to randomly scout Dev. No, because you're right, that WOULD be wasteful. I scout dev trait, because i scouted so efficiently, I had nowhere else to use those points! I find the guys I want with around 1000-2000 scouting points(round 1-undrafted) then pick out the best to discover their development..

.. And if you think I miss on picks, you're sadly mistaken in that assumption too.. I can remember the last dud I drafted.. My way all but eliminates that possibility..

Believe/trust me, if you're in an online league 90% or more people use the method you speak of, and everybody is going after the same guys. The A/B guys, or the B\B guys!.. And 80% of you will be SOoL(uck), because the guy who picked before you stole your supposeded "stud" that you spent all your scouting points to uncover/pin point.

That doesn't happen to me. I clean up and get the guy I want, without reaching or competition for my pick... & you REALLY THINK your way is either more efficient or better than mine!?!?... HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No way in the universe, friend.

P.S. I was in a 32 team league about 6-8 month ago, and after two seasons of me winning the Super Bowl, with the Cleveland Browns mind you, and cleaning up in the draft, everyone quit because my team (wow the hate messages) was already 95 OVR, with an avg age of about 22-23, and over half my roster had SS Dev.(and i dont use cheese on field, though i'm starting to think my drafting technique is off-field cheese because of how i always "clean up")... You CAN'T really think I missing out by not scouting ITG/PHY/PER!? Lol so loudly!
Old 05-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #21
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by niftyjets
I usually stick to my scheme for everything except QB's and CB's. But if a can't miss prospect is still on the board I will draft him regardless of scheme.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »