Home

Is upgrading Consistency worth it?

This is a discussion on Is upgrading Consistency worth it? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2014, 03:16 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Is upgrading Consistency worth it?

EDIT: I have tested consistency and have came up with some very interesting results! See bottom of Post

Hey guys, im a little ways into my cfm and ive been wondering how important consistency is, and exactly what it all does for that matter as well. The game says increasing consistency increases how much xp and confidence is gained in game prep. An EA article says consistency also effects how much your confidence fluctuates from games. I find that to be a problem. A package costing 299xp and up per point cant possibly allow for an increase in xp thats sizable or beneficial to upgrade the attribute. Even if it allowed for 50xp more per 8 hour session, it would take a minimum of 6 sessions to break even from the purchase, and it seems like a 5-10xp point gain per drill is much more likely. Has anyone done any research on this? Does consistency do anything else? As it stands, it looks like you're better off saving the 300+xp to purchase a single consistency point and using it on something else...

Well, I wanted to see how much affect consistency had on xp gain in game prep, so I set out to do just that. My results are rather interesting. For the series of tests, I used backup QB Brock Osweiler with a consistency of 35 and Normal Dev trait. I trained him with the "Develop promising QB" skill drill, at 10 hours a pop. Each drill was ran 11 times. Here are my findings:

Test 1: XP gain with Normal Dev Trait, 45-60 Confidence, and varied Consistency levels

Consistency 35 Avg: 1173, Consistency 50 Avg: 1101, Consistency 80 Avg: 1110

As you can see, increasing the consistency at the Normal Dev trait, had NO EFFECT. It somehow got worse, but my guess is that's a result of not having a larger test number, say 100 rather than 11. Increasing Consistency on a normal dev player has no effect on XP gain in game prep.

Test 2: XP gain with Quick Dev Trait, 45-60 Confidence, and varied Consistency levels

Consistency 35 Avg: 1353, Consistency 50 Avg: 1369, Consistency 80 Avg: 1317

Again, it seems as though Consistency has no effect at the Quick Development trait; however, there is a sizable gain in XP from the Normal Dev trait to the Quick Dev trait, which is to be expected. Increasing Consistency at the Normal and Quick Dev traits seems to yield no positive results in game prep.

Test 3: XP gain with Superstar Dev Trait, 45-60 Confidence, and varied Consistency levels

Now we finally have a positive result! At the Superstar Dev trait consistency is raised to 50 and 80, there is an increase of about 50xp per drill on average. Raising consistency with a player with the Superstar Dev trait yields positive results in game prep.

What does this all conclude? Unfortunately, not much. I am still unsure of how important consistency is. It seems as though the dev traits are much more important in developing a young player, as it increases XP and confidence gained in not only game prep, but also rewards from goals. A jump from 35 to 50 Consistency will cost you around 5200-5900 XP depending on the player and coach dev packages. It seems as though game prep relies heavily on the Development trait of a player, followed by the coach's dev traits, and lastly, consistency. It's noteworthy to point out that on every drill i performed, the drill result was always a 1 out of 5. I have a feeling this is a graphical error on EA's part. I find that when I'm winning, my players confidence levels are rising steadily on their own, so consistency really doesn't play a big factor on how much confidence fluctuates in games for me. Confidence will give your players attribute boosts or deficits, and for me, keeping it between 26-74 isn't too hard, to keep my player playing at his normal level. In developing a player, for now, I'll be focusing on the dev trait, and other attributes before consistency.

Here are a few more charts for funzies:

These 3 graphs really show the spread in which consistency heavily favors a player with Superstar Dev trait, and doesn't do much at all for the others.

Cool, well thanks for reading and please let me know if I'm missing something or if you'd like to contribute! Happy maddening.

Last edited by specopbookie; 08-30-2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Testing and results
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Pro

Re: Is upgrading Consistency worth it?

I have to admit, I haven't crunched the numbers about this, but I have been trying to get my players' confidence up to around 75 before focusing on other areas. The cost per point goes up very rapidly once you hit 75.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7

I'm in an individual CCM and I tried raising consistency, so that my Game Prep yeilded more XP and quite honestly I think it lowers game prep awarded. The game prep screen SHOWS that I should get more xp but the actual results fall well short of the range.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
Rookie

Interesting finds guys. sbattisti, why is it you're pursuant on the confidence of your players being above 75? I can see why the cost per point would go up, making it harder to obtain higher confidence levels, but I've noticed in my CCM, that as long as I'm winning most of my games, confidence sort of takes care of itself, hovering around 50. Since the game is so early and I know I'll be starting a CCM over after some patches have come out, I'm going to do an experiment right now, with a dozen or so drills spent with his consistency low, and then raising the consistency of Brock Osweiler, and seeing what results it yields after. I'll post my findings shortly.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
Pro

I don't have any statistical reason. I just play a style where I draft a million rookies and try to train them up. So, I am always anxious to do what I can to maximize the amount of experience they gain. I saw the thing that said consistency helps, so I have been upping that.

Note: I meant consistency, not confidence! My bad. It is consistency I try to get to 75.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
Rookie

Check out the 1st post, I've updated it with some tests! May not want to be dumping so much xp in consistency for your players after all! I have yet to actually test consistency levels in players and how it affects simulated stats, because I have a feeling confidence will have a much greater effect, even with consistency contributing, but that may be next!
Old 08-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
Pro

Yeah, I was just doing some testing of my own, and hadn't gotten as far as you had, but I was definitely seeing that consistency wasn't affecting experience gained for normal development people.

I thought for a moment that it might be "tiered," like if you got to 80 consistency there would be a bump over 79 (matching with the 5-cube graphic), but no such luck.

Sigh, what a waste of points!!

Now, if we're going to crunch numbers, we should figure out whether it's worth it to save up and upgrade development!! 15,000 is an awful lot of points to upgrade development speed.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
Rookie

As you can see from the numbers and graphs, spending 15k xp will result in an INSTANT bump of about 150xp per drill. that means, from drills alone, and not rewards from goals which also get a bump, it'll only take 100 drills on a player to gain that xp back. I find that to be a solid investment for a player I know will be starting for me for years to come, like Brock Osweiler, or a young talented rookie. I sort of have my own "house rule" any player 28 or over, I no longer develop in game prep, and don't spend points on the dev trait either. usually, they're past the half way mark at that point and either already a decent level, meeting their potential, or won't ever be a superstar. I look for players with high physical ratings and lower intangibles to invest in.

Last edited by specopbookie; 08-30-2014 at 08:08 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »