Home

Trading for Johnny Manziel

This is a discussion on Trading for Johnny Manziel within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #9
Rookie

SpyPirates's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Trading for Johnny Manziel

Depends what perspective you're taking...

If you're trying to create a sim franchise with logic starting from a year ago when madden 15 was released, that trade offer would be easily rejected.

But as of May 2015, I think that would be a fair trade. Not sure what the Browns would do with Mettenburger, but being able to cut a clearly bad pick loose and getting ~75% of the value back from the pick you spent is a pretty good deal for the Browns, imo.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #10
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

The thing with Manziel's in-game trade value is that none of his off-field transgressions are any object in Madden. So the AI just sees him as a rookie first-round quarterback with decent base ratings and a great development trait, so the AI wants to keep him around.

You'll probably have to give more for him in the game than you would in real life right now (based on current reporting that the Browns are '90% done' with him), so "fair" becomes subjective.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:26 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
I use to play golf with a guy who worked in the Falcons front office year ago. He allowed to to pick his brain on how things work. He use to talk about how teams overvalue players until they see they are worthless then dump them for nothing.

I think the Browns would have a hard time moving Johnny now after his 2 games and a offseason of rehab. He would be toxic if he was not before. The Browns would still have a high tag because he cost them a 1st round pick. After next year I think they might take anything or dump him if he does not develop.

I think your first trade is fair value based on his cost for the Browns to get him, but in video game world I have seen him become a beast. I say do the first trade and enjoy your CFM.

Thank you for your advice and help, i do really appreciate it. After reading it i felt better about doing it. The Browns ended up rejected all the trades i offer. I finally got them to pull the trigger and did this. My offer was Wright, and this years third and next years third for Manzel and a 7th rounder. They wanted NOTHing to do with Mettenberger. For fun i even offered them him and two first rounders (NO way in hell would i proceeded, but) and they declined. But, they accepted this one? odd logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiphos
It's funny, I also tried to trade for Manziel too. This was in year three of my Cfm.

I needed a backup qb, and the browns had him on the trade list.
Perfect situation, right?

I say TRIED to trade for him, as they wanted the MOON and more. I offered like a third round to start, rejected. So I got mad and offered a first round. Rejected!

Ok, I kinda got even more angry and offered TWO firsts....

Yeah, rejected. I just laughed and stopped there. Drafted another backup through a draft, third round.

Dunno what the browns were on about, but they can keep their guy
I think the key for a guy like that is you have to try to do it in the preseason, or during the year if he is struggling. I feel once you get past the first year and they upgrade him and his overall goes up, your chances of grabbing him go down. I had issues also, but they did it for me week two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyPirates
Depends what perspective you're taking...

If you're trying to create a sim franchise with logic starting from a year ago when madden 15 was released, that trade offer would be easily rejected.

But as of May 2015, I think that would be a fair trade. Not sure what the Browns would do with Mettenburger, but being able to cut a clearly bad pick loose and getting ~75% of the value back from the pick you spent is a pretty good deal for the Browns, imo.

Thank you for your advice, again i feel good about my chise and proceeding happily!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #12
Rookie

SpyPirates's Arena

Interesting... Definitely faulty logic with the Mettenburger hate, lol. Seems the trade you went with is a reasonable value overall.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #13
Rookie

I guess this just means the AI is like me sometimes; I sometimes put guys on the trade list that I don't really intend to trade unless someone really overpays.

A different scenario entirely just happened though: the niners put Chris Borland on the trade list and I snatched him up...He's a beast already in year three.

😁
Old 05-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #14
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyPirates
Interesting... Definitely faulty logic with the Mettenburger hate, lol. Seems the trade you went with is a reasonable value overall.
I have found in my search to better understand the logic behind trades is values placed on certain needs/wants. The Browns have QB listed as a position of need. The game seems to have a set number to fill that need. In the case of Mettenburger his current ratings are not an upgrade to what they have. I tried trading a 84ovr Blake Bortles several seasons in. He was only a slight upgrade over what they had but it was a need. The only way I could make the trade work was to take back less value then his in game worth. A young QB with quick progression and rated in the mid 80s should net a return of a minimum of a 2nd round pick, I could not get that but rather a future 3rd.

So after much thought I come to the conclusion after attempting another similar trade that the player offered must be a larger upgrade over what they have. A new factor comes into play when a player is in his last year of a contract and will ask for more then team is willing to pay. I have been able to get a player like Chandler Jones for as little as 2 3rd round picks.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:52 AM   #15
Rookie

crf2012's Arena

No, a late round qb and to day 2 picks are not equal to a 1st round qb,
based soley on the fact that he is a 1st rounder you should be giving up 2 2nds or 1 first and then add in a mid to high mid tier player
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »