Home

My idea for a realistic passing mechanic

This is a discussion on My idea for a realistic passing mechanic within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2015, 07:36 PM   #25
Rookie

turfguy23's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: My idea for a realistic passing mechanic

2 parts: Both Awareness rated (Human player and In-game player)

1. In-game player with LOW awareness would see less receiver icons visible. No pre-snap icons and once the ball is snapped some icons would show "?" above the player and would not be visible for a couple seconds, while other receivers would show their regular icon "R1, Square, X", immediately at the snap of the ball.

This would replicate a "rookie" or LOW awareness QB with limited reads or options to throw to. Peyton Manning knows where all 4 or 5 receivers are going to be at all times (HIGH awareness), where as Blake Bortles would be limited to maybe 2 or 3 "reads" or receivers during his progression. All icons would become available during play but LOW awareness QB's would take longer for icons to show up.

2. Human Player awareness IMO needs to be part of the game experience. No more pre-snap icons and receiver "route" graphics. Pick your play and remember where the receivers routes are going to be by YOUR (Human) memory. This will force players to think and use their brains just like real QB's do. You won't have graphics reminding you where the receivers are going pre-snap (only in play-call menu). This option could be toggled ON/OFF for the user-friendly crowd of players.

Following the Human awareness theme, icons for receivers would switch every pass play. "Square" might be your running back on this play........call the same play again......it might switch to "R1 or X" on the next play. The receiver icon only shows up after the play is snapped and is random with every play call. You can't panic hit a button without looking at the receiver anymore. You must physical look at that receiver (YOUR eyes) and acknowledge the icon above them and press the corresponding button. This, IMO, would give the organic feel of being a real-life QB. How fast can your brain work to pick the right receiver and throw the pass to them?

Summary:
Low awareness affects amount of icons visible post snap. 60 AWR= 1 or 2 icons immediately available.......90 AWR= 4 or 5 icons immediately available.

No more LOS (line of scrimmage) route graphics for human player. Player must remember the pass patterns from the play call menu. Receiver icons randomly switch every pass play. You must acknowledge receiver you are throwing to and press corresponding button.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #26
Rookie

crenk's Arena

OVR: 4

I think many of these ideas are good but I just cant see madden scrapping a system that has been at the core of their gameplay for almost 30 years. It just isnt gonna happen no matter how much other methods can better simulate qb awareness. So I think any changes that occur must do so with the current icon passing as the base
Ideas
1) why not allow qb's with high awareness to see more routes pre-snap. Brady gets to see every route accurately, Jameis Winston gets to see his primary receiver, thats it, otherwise the user has to remember his routes or see what develops in play. Although you can memorize all of your pays it will definately give you the higher awr qb an advantage to have the routes at your disposal to check in on a few times pre-snap.

1a) Maybe rookies could get get confused and pre snap it shows 2-3 for Winston but one or two of them could be wrong on occasion accounting for the mixups you see from some of these less aware qb's

You can still make any throw but is that 3rd receiver running a streak or are they gonna break off into a curl route? You will have to read it in real time, making throws that are a split second late or thrown before the route fully develops...
Combine this with a composure rating, piggy backing off of BIG FN Deals idea where great Qb's like brady Manning etc keep accurate throws no matter how much pressure is on them, situational, big game etc, and you will have real distinct differences between QB's
Old 07-28-2015, 07:57 AM   #27
Rookie

crenk's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfguy23

2. Human Player awareness IMO needs to be part of the game experience. No more pre-snap icons and receiver "route" graphics. Pick your play and remember where the receivers routes are going to be by YOUR (Human) memory. This will force players to think and use their brains just like real QB's do. You won't have graphics reminding you where the receivers are going pre-snap (only in play-call menu). This option could be toggled ON/OFF for the user-friendly crowd of players.

Following the Human awareness theme, icons for receivers would switch every pass play. "Square" might be your running back on this play........call the same play again......it might switch to "R1 or X" on the next play. The receiver icon only shows up after the play is snapped and is random with every play call. You can't panic hit a button without looking at the receiver anymore. You must physical look at that receiver (YOUR eyes) and acknowledge the icon above them and press the corresponding button. This, IMO, would give the organic feel of being a real-life QB. How fast can your brain work to pick the right receiver and throw the pass to them?

Summary:
Low awareness affects amount of icons visible post snap. 60 AWR= 1 or 2 icons immediately available.......90 AWR= 4 or 5 icons immediately available.

No more LOS (line of scrimmage) route graphics for human player. Player must remember the pass patterns from the play call menu. Receiver icons randomly switch every pass play. You must acknowledge receiver you are throwing to and press corresponding button.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
I dissagree with you here. First off my awareness as a user is the same whether I am using Manning or Winston, so the game needs to make differentiations for me, by allowing good Qb awareness to give me more icons pre snap. Also mixing up icons on every play could be a decent idea if it applied to low awr qb's only, otherwise it could screw me up equally whether using Brady or some rookie.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #28
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfguy23
2 parts: Both Awareness rated (Human player and In-game player)

1. In-game player with LOW awareness would see less receiver icons visible. No pre-snap icons and once the ball is snapped some icons would show "?" above the player and would not be visible for a couple seconds, while other receivers would show their regular icon "R1, Square, X", immediately at the snap of the ball.

This would replicate a "rookie" or LOW awareness QB with limited reads or options to throw to. Peyton Manning knows where all 4 or 5 receivers are going to be at all times (HIGH awareness), where as Blake Bortles would be limited to maybe 2 or 3 "reads" or receivers during his progression. All icons would become available during play but LOW awareness QB's would take longer for icons to show up.

Summary:

Thoughts? Suggestions?
I would be ecstatic if this was even an OPTION in the game. I wish difficulty settings went this route more than the current all-knowing AI and artificial rating boosts.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #29
Rookie

What about a more simple way of doing things..

High awareness QBs see the whole field and thus all targets are available to throw to.

Low awareness QBs have to look at each part of the field to have icons appear. Example : QB is looking to the right side of the field but everything is covered.. User notices that a WR on the left side of the field is open so they have to look to that side of the field for the icon to appear ( L1 / R1 to cycle Right , Middle , Left field ).

Use the rating to come up with how much of the field a QB can see.. 90+ could be nearly the whole field every snap. 80-89 could be 75% of the field almost every snap. 70-79 could be 50% of the field and anything less would be Right / Middle / Left which would be similar to how some QBs are said to only be able read a section of the field at a time.

There could also be a modifier depending on how good or bad of a defense you are going against. The best defenses can cause even the best QBs to look really bad ( Bills vs Packers last year for example ).

Hopefully that isnt confusing.

Last edited by JOS1181; 07-28-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #30
Banned

I've always kind of thought a two stick passing attack would be cool.

Left stick controls QB movements as usual, but right stick picks which receiver you're going to throw to, then R1 pulls the trigger like in shooting games.

If you had a TE Curl up the middle, you would hold up on right stick and let it go, deep fly for left WR, up and left, RB on check down, down and to the right.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:42 PM   #31
MVP

D81SKINS's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOS1181
What about a more simple way of doing things..

High awareness QBs see the whole field and thus all targets are available to throw to.

Low awareness QBs have to look at each part of the field to have icons appear. Example : QB is looking to the right side of the field but everything is covered.. User notices that a WR on the left side of the field is open so they have to look to that side of the field for the icon to appear ( L1 / R1 to cycle Right , Middle , Left field ).

Use the rating to come up with how much of the field a QB can see.. 90+ could be nearly the whole field every snap. 80-89 could be 75% of the field almost every snap. 70-79 could be 50% of the field and anything less would be Right / Middle / Left which would be similar to how some QBs are said to only be able read a section of the field at a time.

There could also be a modifier depending on how good or bad of a defense you are going against. The best defenses can cause even the best QBs to look really bad ( Bills vs Packers last year for example ).

Hopefully that isnt confusing.
Sounds like the vision cone w/o the cone.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »