Home

Press Row Podcast NHL 16 Thoughts & M16 Interview with CFM Creative Director Kolbe L.

This is a discussion on Press Row Podcast NHL 16 Thoughts & M16 Interview with CFM Creative Director Kolbe L. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #41
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Press Row Podcast NHL 16 Thoughts & M16 Interview with CFM Creative Director Kolb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom zoom
I miss the days when fans of sim sports games didn't pretend games with controllers were sims. It was a lot easier to enjoy console sports games when there wasn't a vocal niche of gamers constantly trying to make the games less fun in favor of realism.

Don't get me wrong, I love sims. I've been playing text sims since being forced to snail mail an APBA disc around for each owner. I miss FBPro, and I wish EA would reboot Head Coach. But I have no desire for the EA console to be sims, because. There are some great sims on the PC, but I want Madden and their other games to be fun.

You would think if you've complained about the quality of a game as a sim for several years you would figure out they aren't sims.
On one hand you have a point, but on the other hand then EA should stop saying they want to produce a Sim football game and replicate what you see on the field each Sunday.

If they came out and said "listen...we are creating a game where folks can just pick up and play and have fun and because of this we won't be following all the rules and things you see on Sunday to the nth degree. We just want you to have fun with it." that would be fine. Then we know what we are getting.

But they position it as just the opposite..as a Sim game that is ultra realistic. That is what sets expectations. And for many "less fun" equals less of a simulation.

C
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #42
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Press Row Podcast NHL 16 Thoughts & M16 Interview with CFM Creative Director Kolb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
Every single guy you mentioned there writes ZERO code. You can have the best minds in the world designing and directing, but if the actual programmers struggle implementing, it won't matter. Implementation has always been a real weak point for madden. Nothing works like it's advertised and it is very unpolished and/or incomplete.
Agreed I was basically trying to say exactly what you said about implementation. Every year we hear this is fixed that is fixed, we improved this and got rid of that but things never work how they talk them up to.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
On one hand you have a point, but on the other hand then EA should stop saying they want to produce a Sim football game and replicate what you see on the field each Sunday.

If they came out and said "listen...we are creating a game where folks can just pick up and play and have fun and because of this we won't be following all the rules and things you see on Sunday to the nth degree. We just want you to have fun with it." that would be fine. Then we know what we are getting.

But they position it as just the opposite..as a Sim game that is ultra realistic. That is what sets expectations. And for many "less fun" equals less of a simulation.

C

True. But I stopped believing in the fairy tales of marketing and spin when I was 16.

And I don't think they ever claim it to actually be a sim. Hell, every year sim gamers complain about the continual focus on more arcade like aspects of the game, even in their marketing.

Mostly, a lot of gamers feel entitled to a game that EA doesn't believe will sell well. That's why they include so so many digs at gamers that enjoy the games in all of their rants
Old 05-25-2015, 03:28 PM   #44
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
And I don't think they ever claim it to actually be a sim.
Rex clearly stated and reiterated multiple times last year that they are making a sim football game.

What everyone's definition of sim is, is debatable.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 05-25-2015, 03:43 PM   #45
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Rex clearly stated and reiterated multiple times last year that they are making a sim football game.

What everyone's definition of sim is, is debatable.
I think it would be cool if we could see videos of the devs playing the game themselves. Then maybe we could see what their definition of sim looks like

I used to watch those NCAA team vida around this time of year where Ben and the other guy would play each other for a quarter or a half and answer questions. I remember thinking "these guys don't even play the game well."

Is it a big deal? Maybe not. But if Rex and his crew don't play the game like us, trying to to get a realistic number of plays, penalties, stats, everything into a season long game by game experience, then maybe that explains quite a bit.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #46
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
I think it would be cool if we could see videos of the devs playing the game themselves. Then maybe we could see what their definition of sim looks like

I used to watch those NCAA team vida around this time of year where Ben and the other guy would play each other for a quarter or a half and answer questions. I remember thinking "these guys don't even play the game well."

Is it a big deal? Maybe not. But if Rex and his crew don't play the game like us, trying to to get a realistic number of plays, penalties, stats, everything into a season long game by game experience, then maybe that explains quite a bit.
Honestly I think Rex's idea of sim is the same as alot of people's here is. I just remember him from the livestream pointing out things that were sim and how to do them. I don't remember scratching my head at many of the things he stated.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 05-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
True. But I stopped believing in the fairy tales of marketing and spin when I was 16.

And I don't think they ever claim it to actually be a sim. Hell, every year sim gamers complain about the continual focus on more arcade like aspects of the game, even in their marketing.

Mostly, a lot of gamers feel entitled to a game that EA doesn't believe will sell well. That's why they include so so many digs at gamers that enjoy the games in all of their rants
Would you call NBA2k Sim? How good has that game sold? Sim sales when done right.
NBA2k has Sim modes, arcade modes, my player modes, a little something for every type of gamer. They have true slider sets as well, that actually work. If Madden did this it would please everyone Simheads and casuals alike.

I wonder how many digs they would spew if they had 2k or someone else in the NFL marketplace with them. It's easy to be cocky when no one can make a game to challenge you >see NBA2kvsNBAlive. Then you have to put up or shut up.

Last edited by MissionMaximus; 05-25-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #48
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionMaximus
Would you call NBA2k Sim? How good has that game sold? Sim sales when done right.
NBA2k has Sim modes, arcade modes, my player modes, a little something for every type of gamer. They have true slider sets as well, that actually work. If Madden did this it would please everyone Simheads and casuals alike.

I wonder how many digs they would spew if they had 2k or someone else in the NFL marketplace with them. It's easy to be cocky when no one can make a game to challenge you >see NBA2kvsNBAlive. Then you have to put up or shut up.
According to most of the people on this forum, Madden has never been "sim." So even when Madden had competition from Sony, 2k and Microsoft (with games that were more sim)....its still handily beat its competition. It took a huge price reduction for a game to even come close to competing with Madden in sales.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »