Home

Recycling of features-will this lead to a better experience?

This is a discussion on Recycling of features-will this lead to a better experience? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2015, 02:17 PM   #17
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Recycling of features-will this lead to a better experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I'm of the opinion that most people who play Madden simply don't care about any of their Machiavellian Marketing Machinations. Something is introduced, maybe it was taken out and brought back with a different name or even the same name, it doesn't matter. People only care it they like it or not or if it works or not. I don't think anyone is being duped.

If you guys want to call them out on it, OK, sure, but I don't think people are going to rally to that cause. Those who will are those who are already in the choir, warming up their voices. I don't feel like the people who call Madden out are being ridiculed, but I don't think that it is going to be encouraged either, because I don't think that most think that it is that big a deal.

If tomorrow they brought back "Liquid AI", some here would go Chernobyl and call them every name in the book, but I really believe that the majority of folks would be like, "Trying to bring that back ehh? It was garbage last time, hope it actually works this time," Something worthy of a SMH, but not much more.

You disagree of course, but I feel like that is the reality of the situation.
Fair enough, so let me word it like this, during this time of year, when Madden hype is in full swing, we have all manner OS write ups in this forum, bolded in red/burgundy, touting claims about the game. What I would like to also see are those same type of highlighted threads about things like the OP is bringing up. Some of us can easily be duped and are, not because we are naive but because we missed the info or simply forgot. OSers are considered fairly knowledgeable about Madden but looking around at posts it's quite evident that any of us, on any given topic, can forget or don't know about quite a bit of info that's been posted on here before.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #18
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

I believe that if something that was previously in Madden but taken out for any number of reasons, can now be placed back in the game and function properly, then more power to them...
Old 05-25-2015, 02:40 PM   #19
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I believe that if something that was previously in Madden but taken out for any number of reasons, can now be placed back in the game and function properly, then more power to them...
IF it does in fact function as advertised
Old 05-25-2015, 02:42 PM   #20
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
IF it does in fact function as advertised
THat is the tricky part, yes...
Old 05-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #21
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
THat is the tricky part, yes...
That is what bothers me about the removal of the vision cone. It did do what it was built to do. You couldn't throw the ball where ever you wanted and it separated QBs with different talent levels. It wasn't removed bc it was broken it was removed bc SOME people didn't like it, it just happened to be those people were the core audience. Instead of giving is the option to use it they just scrapped it completely.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #22
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
That is what bothers me about the removal of the vision cone. It did do what it was built to do. You couldn't throw the ball where ever you wanted and it separated QBs with different talent levels. It wasn't removed bc it was broken it was removed bc SOME people didn't like it, it just happened to be those people were the core audience. Instead of giving is the option to use it they just scrapped it completely.
Options, I believe, are the best way to appease the largest number of people.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #23
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
The vision cone did do what it was built to do, and that's exactly what the problem with it was. It hindered the game's accessibility and usability, which resulted in a sizable portion of Madden's audience disliking it.

The vision cone was cumbersome to control (required the user to take his thumb off the face buttons, meaning a longer delay between when the user wanted to throw and the QB actually throwing the ball) and/or doubled the number of inputs required to make a simple throw (if the user used the "snap to receiver" button command). It was an ergonomic nightmare.

A user can already see a receiver breaking open with his own eyes; making sure his quarterback "sees" him too with an ugly flashlight overlay is an contrived inconvenience at best and an exercise in frustration at worst, particularly with a blitzing defense bearing down on the QB.

I readily understand what it was trying to do - create a concept of a QB's vision. It was effective at doing that, but at a usability cost, and a very high one at that, and Madden is already a hard enough game for new players to come to grips with without the vision cone. I would be thoroughly surprised if it is ever reintroduced into the game.

Quote:
Options, I believe, are the best way to appease the largest number of people.
Sure, but not without a cost.

Every option added into or left in the game is another variable to account for when doing gameplay balancing / tuning or diagnosing online desync bugs. For example, the issue at the launch of Madden NFL 15 where some users playing head-to-head games in Connected Franchise were getting disconnected from each other on account of differing settings in their kicking HUD. Removing things outright which don't thematically fit with the current direction of the game allows for more developer attention for the things which the developer actually wants to focus on.

The developer sometimes has to pick and choose its battles with these things, and Tiburon obviously doesn't feel that the vision cone is the hill its wants to die on. Personally I think this is the best decision for the game; others may disagree and that's fine.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:16 PM   #24
Banned

The vision cone was only bad because of the time it took to get on the correct WR. Sacks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »