Home

Madden 16, Regression

This is a discussion on Madden 16, Regression within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2015, 10:15 PM   #17
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Madden 16, Regression

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
I believe Kolbe said regression has been worked on, I'll try to confirm.
Thanks if you can get it confirmed. I must have missed it. I just dont think just because i player turns 30 all the sudden they should take such hits in attributes .So i hope it has gotten some attention.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 06-01-2015, 11:43 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
I believe Kolbe said regression has been worked on, I'll try to confirm.
I hope so because it was the worst last year. Not just guys losing speed but franchise QBs dropping off from the 90s to the 70s in a year or 2 was terrible to see too. That's why they should give us full customization of our franchise(like we use to have) so we can have the option to fix an issue like that.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #19
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

A thing to keep in mind when evaluating player regression -

One isn't going to get a clear picture of how the regression is working just by looking at end-of-season OVR ratings, or any OVR ratings ever, really. The Production rating has a not-insignificant influence on the OVR rating as a single season progresses, so a player who was injured and didn't produce any statistical contributions is going to see his OVR go down - until the start of next season - even if his individual ratings did not decrease a single point. Further, when the Production rating resets at the begin of the next season for every player, everyone's OVR rating is going to go down.

Tangentially related: in this way, Madden NFL is capable of simulating players having big years going into unrestricted free agency and having them ask for bigger contracts from teams than they actually would otherwise.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #20
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I think the regression in speed is a bit overstated and should be toned down a bit, but I find two issues more important than that:

1 - Athletic ratings atrophy should affect all relevant ratings; acceleration, agility, strength, and jumping ratings should also decay. As it currently stands, I'm pretty sure there is a heavy emphasis on Speed declining and not as much any other rating.

2 - A player in steep athletic ratings decline to the point of athletic obsolescence should recognize this fact and retire rather than languish in the free agent pool, or worse get signed by an AI team despite extremely low athletic ratings relative to his peers at their position because their intangibles ratings are still very high.
Two really good points. It's so strange when just speed drops. I had Julio Jones in my online CFM and his speed dropped from 95 to 80 in one offseason. Now I know some argue that he can still be effective with 80 speed and yes he was but, that's beside the point. I can't think of one time WR hit 30 or 31 and just lost that much speed in one off season unless he got injured.

Back on point. lol. The thing that was weird about Jones is that he had the same Acc, agl, jumping and all other athletic skills. Makes no sense. If he lost speed there must be physical reason and there for he would lose other physical skills.

I like your second point too. In a user cfm it takes care of itself but, the CPU just sees a 85 overall WR and signs the guy to start even thought his speed is 50-75 and slower than a offensive lineman. Just need more cpu logic in cfm.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #21
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
Two really good points. It's so strange when just speed drops. I had Julio Jones in my online CFM and his speed dropped from 95 to 80 in one offseason. Now I know some argue that he can still be effective with 80 speed and yes he was but, that's beside the point. I can't think of one time WR hit 30 or 31 and just lost that much speed in one off season unless he got injured.

Back on point. lol. The thing that was weird about Jones is that he had the same Acc, agl, jumping and all other athletic skills. Makes no sense. If he lost speed there must be physical reason and there for he would lose other physical skills.

I like your second point too. In a user cfm it takes care of itself but, the CPU just sees a 85 overall WR and signs the guy to start even thought his speed is 50-75 and slower than a offensive lineman. Just need more cpu logic in cfm.
Maybe there isn't much of a speed difference between 95 and 80? I recall when Madden ratings were 1 to 10; maybe it still is, but just made to look more diverse/detailed by extending the scale between 1 and 99?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #22
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Maybe there isn't much of a speed difference between 95 and 80? I recall when Madden ratings were 1 to 10; maybe it still is, but just made to look more diverse/detailed by extending the scale between 1 and 99?
I'm pretty sure it's a function relative to the rating value.

I remember seeing some graphs posted by Ian Cummings when he was around these parts about how the Weapons system in Madden NFL 08 resulted in larger disparities in SPD ratings increases at the top of the scale (90+) relative to the rest of it. So in Madden 08, increasing SPD from 88 to 89 was equal on the field to the change from 89 to 90 (with respect to how much a player's effective SPD changed), but 90 to 91 was a bigger change in SPD, 91 to 92 was an even bigger change, and 98 to 99 was the biggest possible change.

It's very possible that the slope of that linear function just isn't very big, however.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #23
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I'm pretty sure it's a function relative to the rating value.

I remember seeing some graphs posted by Ian Cummings when he was around these parts about how the Weapons system in Madden NFL 08 resulted in larger disparities in SPD ratings increases at the top of the scale (90+) relative to the rest of it. So in Madden 08, increasing SPD from 88 to 89 was equal on the field to the change from 89 to 90 (with respect to how much a player's effective SPD changed), but 90 to 91 was a bigger change in SPD, 91 to 92 was an even bigger change, and 98 to 99 was the biggest possible change.

It's very possible that the slope of that linear function just isn't very big, however.
I have a desire to do some testing... Thank you for the information...

EDIT*** I ran a simple test... Set WR's with 90 acceleration and then set a WR at 90 speed and the next wr with 80 speed and the next with 70 speed...

Result is, after 20 yards the player with 90/90 SPD/ACC was about 2 yards ahead of the 70/90 wr, and at about 40 yards the player with 90/90 speed/acceleration was about 3 yards ahead of the WR with 70/90 spd/acc. AT 50 yards they were separated by 4 yards; at this point the WR's turned back towards the QB..

2nd EDIT *** Switch one WR to 95 spd/90 acc....In this test the 95/09 wr was ahead of the 70/90 spd/acc wr by 3 yards at the 40 yard mark, and ahead of the 80/90 spd/acc wr by 1 yard at the same mark..

at 50 yards the following was:

95/90 spd/acc by 4.3 yards over the 70/90 player and up by about 2 yards over the 80/90 wr..

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 06-02-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #24
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S

Well when I say he was still affective I meant he could still get open and make catches. He was pretty much just a possession receiver though. His ability to go deep was gone. There was a noticeable difference from 95 to 80.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »