Home

Madden Should Bring Back Its PS2 Era Substitution System

This is a discussion on Madden Should Bring Back Its PS2 Era Substitution System within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2015, 09:59 AM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchwartz07
Madden really peaked feature-wise two consoles ago. Now it is all about pumping out a $60 roster update with new "ultimate team" features so you can pay more money to collect digital cards.

It has also always blown my mind that you can't split time at any position. Say I have 2 RB's, like I dunno EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL, that I want to share the load equally, can't do it... but I can pay $20 to get Barry Sanders on a fictional team with random guys... so there is that.
This makes so much sense.

I don't question the desire to make more money with basic things. I question the actual depth of knowledge at EA. Makes me wonder how knowledgable these guys actually are. I know at least one of them played college ball. Doesn't seem to be enough. They need at least one D II former coordinator or positions coach or something similar. But it usually takes them so long to perfect a physics engine, the actual game suffers cuz they're not spending time fine tuning other details about the game of football.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
Not to take things off topic, but speaking of incredibly useful features from the PS2 era, does anyone else remember the on the fly audible system?

Basically, in the play selection screen, if you held down R1 and pressed the corresponding icon, that play was now one of your formation audibles. I used to set 2-3 new formation audibles before calling a play. Then, once I got up to the line of scrimmage, I could read the defense and either run the play I called, or check to one of the formation audibles that I had just set up. I used it a lot in NCAA when trying to mimic the college no-huddle system. A lot of those offenses were based on the idea of lining up quickly, taking a look at how the defense was set, and then getting the final play call in from the sideline.

It was great because maybe I didn't always want a WR screen as an audible, but if it was 3rd and 1, it was great to quickly set a WR screen as a formation audible and then call a dive up the middle. Once I got to the line, if the defense was stacked to stop the run and the corner was playing off at all, I could check out to the screen and flip it out to my WR for a conversion (hopefully). I tended to play with average-good teams, but not great or overpowering ones, so I had to be creative sometimes.

To get back on topic though, Madden and NCAA had substitutions right on the PS2. I don't know if the change was made to cut down on people putting WRs at TE, their fastest player at QB, and all kinds of other crazy substitutions simply because of the amount of time it takes to do all that (especially while the playclock is winding down). Other than that, I really can't figure out any reason they would have changed it from the PS2 setup.
Pokes, dude! I haven't been logged onto OS since 2009. I was getting on here to make the same argument!

I used to pick a play, and have two quick audibles every time I picked a play. It's more like the way plays are called in games today. It's like the new quick audible system took place of this. But the original audible system was better cuz you had better control of the audibles each play.

In addition, I miss formation shifts. Where you could shift the formation while keeping the same play. It allowed you to manipulate mismatches...again, like the way the game is actually played. An example would be to run an off tackle run play in singleback big. You could formation shift to singleback bunch and run the same play.

In for like one year and disappeared for seemingly no reason...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »