Home

IF the gameplay is good enough, can it make up for what CFM appears to be lacking?

This is a discussion on IF the gameplay is good enough, can it make up for what CFM appears to be lacking? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Operation Sports is Looking for Someone to Help Create and Guide Our Video Content
NHL Trade Deadline 2020 Winners and Losers
The NBA Offseason in an Alternate Universe (Part 2)
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 06-11-2015, 11:40 PM   #41
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: IF the gameplay is good enough, can it make up for what CFM appears to be lacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
I just wanted to re-post this because these are the gameplay features that have been announced so far. Would like to hear everyone's thoughts on these.
Until we see them in action, most people here probably wouldn't be able to provide a reasonable analysis of these changes. Could be good, could be bad. Could be both.

I'm sure that initial info thread had a decent amount of impressions off the text though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2015, 11:41 PM   #42
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: IF the gameplay is good enough, can it make up for what CFM appears to be lacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
I can 100% assure you that EA Sports/Tiburon is NOT interested in making the game contain accurate, data-driven, statistically-represented ratings. They had their chance to lock that up in 2011 and blew it. They are more interested in having suits dictate ratings than accurately rate players themselves.

To them, it IS about money and NOT sending a message (via making an accurate game with some amazing technology and innovation).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OyrX11cMkE
I can 100% assure you that you're wrong,moving on...

Want something in Madden added or fixed? Vote for it here http://www.ranker.com/list/top-reque...WlKfF9iZbujQ.0

Madden 15 will be the turning point of the Madden franchise
Old 06-11-2015, 11:42 PM   #43
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

No because even if game play was phenomenal I can only play so much h2h before I'm frustrated without a more immersive mode. If solid game play without a solid franchise were enough, I'd be playing that other football game from 2007. Now on the other hand, like others have mentioned, a solid NFL based CFM could carry lacking game play, for example any Madden this past decade coupled with a HC09 Franchise would have been drastically better.

That said, let's be real about this being a big IF, to SkyBoxer's point, there is a lot that goes into solid game play, beyond improved player movement, all 22 true step, wr/db interactions, etc. Granted those and more would be welcome additions but the list to get Madden game play to "good enough", meaning on par with with where other lauded sports titles have their game play in 2015, is substantial. They still have yet to get aspects of game play equal to past football games, even if that's some's definition of good enough.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:44 PM   #44
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
I just wanted to re-post this because these are the gameplay features that have been announced so far. Would like to hear everyone's thoughts on these.

Battle for Air Supremacy

Total Control Passing - Place the ball where only your receiver can get it with body-relative throws including high-point, low-point, back-shoulder, and the ever-popular touch pass. Become the ultimate dual-threat and terrorize defenses with new pressure avoidance and QB scramble controls.

Receiver/Defender Controls - Dictate the outcome of each passing play while the ball is in the air for the first time ever in Madden. For receivers, go for the highlight reel with the ‘aggressive’ catch or move the chains with the ‘possession catch’. On defense, disrupt the outcome of each play using the new ‘play ball’ and ‘hit receiver’ mechanics. Receivers and defenders deliver the most authentic exchanges to date with new press and zone-chuck interactions, contextual hand-fighting, and a variety of 2-man interactions at the catch point including pass interference penalties, tip balls, knock outs and simultaneous possession catches.
Personally I need to see it in action, especially with CPU doing on own.
My biggest fear is Rocket catch 2.0 and 60 rated WR's making Hall of Fame catches.
We'll see.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
Old 06-11-2015, 11:50 PM   #45
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
No because even if game play was phenomenal I can only play so much h2h before I'm frustrated without a more immersive mode. If solid game play without a solid franchise were enough, I'd be playing that other football game from 2007. Now on the other hand, like others have mentioned, a solid NFL based CFM could carry lacking game play, for example any Madden this past decade coupled with a HC09 Franchise would have been drastically better.

That said, let's be real about this being a big IF, to SkyBoxer's point, there is a lot that goes into solid game play, beyond improved player movement, all 22 true step, wr/db interactions, etc. Granted those and more would be welcome additions but the list to get Madden game play to "good enough", meaning on par with with where other lauded sports titles have their game play in 2015, is substantial. They still have yet to get aspects of game play equal to past football games, even if that's some's definition of good enough.
I wasn't really talking about playing h2h, I don't really even do that unless it's in tournaments, I'm not a tournament player, I play sim even in tournaments, but anyway, I was thinking more along the lines of offline CFM. IF CFM is better this year than last year overall and easier to navigate, and the gameplay & presentation feels fresh and realistic, that's enough for me to put up with a less expansive CFM for M16. So would that be enough for you guys?

Want something in Madden added or fixed? Vote for it here http://www.ranker.com/list/top-reque...WlKfF9iZbujQ.0

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2015, 11:53 PM   #46
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
I can 100% assure you that you're wrong,moving on...
I will cite a phone interview I had with 6 developers (including Donny Moore) back in the summer of 2011. I was interviewing for a position on the team after my ratings website was recommended to one of the managers on the Madden team at EA/Tiburon.

Donny Moore directly asked me how I would handle "a suit in management telling you to change a player's rating, even if you know that the new rating would be inaccurate." He used Larry Fitzgerald as the example.

Since, I don't work for EA, you can guess as to what my answer was.

That was the sticking point for me. They are not interested in getting accurate ratings into their game. They began by saying how impressed they were with my site and how they wanted that data to be a part of it. However, I basically told them that I would not compromise my system, a system that I believe in, simply because management would tell me to change it. That is wrong.

If there is any ethical and/or moral high-ground to be had in rating players accurately, EA seems to not be interested.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Old 06-11-2015, 11:58 PM   #47
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
I wasn't really talking about playing h2h, I don't really even do that unless it's in tournaments, I'm not a tournament player, I play sim even in tournaments, but anyway, I was thinking more along the lines of offline CFM. IF CFM is better this year than last year overall and easier to navigate, and the gameplay & presentation feels fresh and realistic, that's enough for me to put up with a less expansive CFM for M16. So would that be enough for you guys?
JP I appreciate your enthusiasm and in the end I know I'll enjoy the game for what it brings but yet still see all the missed opportunities.

What I don't think you realize or sense with most of us (Brought on by the "would it be enough" question...)
Is we've been "settling" for 10 years.
Madden has moved at less than a snails pace as far as taking Madden to higher levels.
It's not that we don't know Kolbe etc.. work hard
It's not that we don't realize they have a certain audience

It's the fact that games made over 10 years ago had/have more depth etc that Madden has now.
EA having the NFL license has done 0 to give us a more NFL experience.
On the grand scheme of things it's done the opposite and that's leave us with no options and again "settling" year after year...

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
Old 06-12-2015, 12:04 AM   #48
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
I will cite a phone interview I had with 6 developers (including Donny Moore) back in the summer of 2011. I was interviewing for a position on the team after my ratings website was recommended to one of the managers on the Madden team at EA/Tiburon.

Donny Moore directly asked me how I would handle "a suit in management telling you to change a player's rating, even if you know that the new rating would be inaccurate." He used Larry Fitzgerald as the example.

Since, I don't work for EA, you can guess as to what my answer was.

That was the sticking point for me. They are not interested in getting accurate ratings into their game. They began by saying how impressed they were with my site and how they wanted that data to be a part of it. However, I basically told them that I would not compromise my system, a system that I believe in, simply because management would tell me to change it. That is wrong.

If there is any ethical and/or moral high-ground to be had in rating players accurately, EA seems to not be interested.
Ok, but that was 2011, the leadership and developers relationship is a little different now, that's well known information.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »