Home

Anyone else think PFF like integration would be awesome?

This is a discussion on Anyone else think PFF like integration would be awesome? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Anyone else think PFF like integration would be awesome?

In franchise guys can be graded just like how PFF does.

It would not be overly difficult to add in either. Think about it, gameplay matchups are already determined by calculations right? Convert those results to a score and track them.

In game when a defender is rushing the QB and is met by a blocker: A under the hood equation is ran to determine who "wins" and whether or not a move is successful. I don't know what EA's code looks like, but say the outcome is that the blocker contains the rusher. The under the hood equation result could be converted to a visible grade. The game tracks the results from equations for each player and assigns them a overall grade for that game.

what do you guys think? Not a good idea? Too difficult to add? On your wish list?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #2
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Anyone else think PFF like integration would be awesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
In franchise guys can be graded just like how PFF does.

It would not be overly difficult to add in either. Think about it, gameplay matchups are already determined by calculations right? Convert those results to a score and track them.

In game when a defender is rushing the QB and is met by a blocker: A under the hood equation is ran to determine who "wins" and whether or not a move is successful. I don't know what EA's code looks like, but say the outcome is that the blocker contains the rusher. The under the hood equation result could be converted to a visible grade. The game tracks the results from equations for each player and assigns them a overall grade for that game.

what do you guys think? Not a good idea? Too difficult to add? On your wish list?
I was actually thinking about this exact thing when the cfm news came out. Like you said, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard. Maybe we could go a little further and give an option to hide attributes and only go by PFF scores. Either way, I like the idea. Honestly tho, I was kinda hoping EA was looking at PFF scores already when figuring player ratings.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
I was actually thinking about this exact thing when the cfm news came out. Like you said, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard. Maybe we could go a little further and give an option to hide attributes and only go by PFF scores. Either way, I like the idea. Honestly tho, I was kinda hoping EA was looking at PFF scores already when figuring player ratings.
Donny says he does look at PFF scores.

I think it would be great to look at my CBs in CFM and see that Webb may be +7 on the year in pass coverage.

Honestly, it does not need to go into too much detail like PFF does, just a couple of basic grades would add so much.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #4
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

I would not recommend a grading score like PFF. I have major issues with them. The fact that they only measure the outcome of each play is a major problem. That is the same as coming up with the OVR then making the attributes fit the desired OVR like EA already does. Have you guys actually read their fact page? There are some alarming issues with PFF when it comes to rating players. PFF won't tell you how fast, agile, strong, aware, etc. a player is. They only look at the outcome of the play.

PFF is useful for determining trends and maybe performance, but that is about it. You cannot use PFF to determine attributes. Otherwise you will get the same old "SPD Boosts" that EA gives players now when they perform well, instead of identifying exactly WHY they performed well. I will even quote their site:

"All of the data is collected in order to build a detailed picture of each player’s performance and production over the course of a season."

This stuff is only good for rating production/performance, NOT individual attributes. You need scouting data for that.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Old 06-14-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Yeah, here in lies the issue with displaying actual numbers/ratings that power each player. I would think it should be obvious by now to ever developer making sports games that displaying actual ratings diminishes the experience. A main strength of sports at large is that any and everyone can have an opinion on how good athletes are and where they rank, displaying ratings takes away that debate and makes the answers definitive.

That said I wouldn't mind them using PFF's stuff as the display, since it is done in real life, as long as the display is all it is, with the actual rating or computed data driving player performance is something different and hidden. So to DCEBB's point, I wouldn't want PFF replacing numeric ratings under the hood but using it as it's used in real life as an evaluator of their in-game performance, I'd be cool with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 0

The only manner I would want PFF grading in for is to measure performance. Say your nickel back has a higher grade than either of your two outside corners, is that because he is covering lesser competition or is he actually better? It gives you a decent metric to use when making roster decisions such as who to start.

It would also aid in the preseason in knowing who to cut among your lower rated players.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 0

My only reason why I think they should add is it to make online cfm more competitive. Say your friend drafts a corner in the top 5 and you draft one in the end of the first and you guys argue who is better. At the end of the season you guys could actually see who performed better. Sometimes it not all about how many interceptions you get in the season and how many tackles. They could add pff stat like passer rating against the specific corner. Etc...

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2015, 03:34 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
I would not recommend a grading score like PFF. I have major issues with them. The fact that they only measure the outcome of each play is a major problem. That is the same as coming up with the OVR then making the attributes fit the desired OVR like EA already does. Have you guys actually read their fact page? There are some alarming issues with PFF when it comes to rating players. PFF won't tell you how fast, agile, strong, aware, etc. a player is. They only look at the outcome of the play.

PFF is useful for determining trends and maybe performance, but that is about it. You cannot use PFF to determine attributes. Otherwise you will get the same old "SPD Boosts" that EA gives players now when they perform well, instead of identifying exactly WHY they performed well. I will even quote their site:

"All of the data is collected in order to build a detailed picture of each player’s performance and production over the course of a season."

This stuff is only good for rating production/performance, NOT individual attributes. You need scouting data for that.
But the quoted is exactly why I want the grades in.

I think you may have misunderstood me. I don't want PFF to replace or do anything with player rating, I only wish it to be present in CFM tracking player performance.

It should just be another stat the game tracks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »