Home

We NEED to be able to CONTROL our CCM!

This is a discussion on We NEED to be able to CONTROL our CCM! within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: We NEED to be able to CONTROL our CCM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
So a lot of people are missing the point to my hypothetical.

I mentioned nothing of any existing game mechanics, functionality, or quirks and have no interest in indicting any of them as "sim" or "not sim" for the purposes of this question. My assertion was simply that the ability to play God and change player ratings outside of the context of the normal game for any reason at all was "not sim".

Put another way: I'm not interested in custom draft classes, the XP progression mechanic, EA Sports' procedurally-generated draft classes, or FBGratings for purposes of this question; they are out-of-scope.

I'm trying to figure out what's more valuable, the game being "sim" or allowing the user total control.
The answer to this is what is "Sim"?
Because what it is to one gamer, may not be for another.
Basically, the functionality is being moved from the decision of "one" person, to that of many.
Both are playing God, if you will.

Then, what is the point of having Total Control?
Which will vary also.

The end game should be to "Put the best gaming experience in the gamers hands"!!!
So whatever that involves, would be what's more valuable.

My 2 cents not directly related to your question:
Although most replies on this topic deals with visual corrections, the main purpose is to adjust the ratings to the "Thresholds" that push animations to play out during gameplay, moving gameplay to animate in a better "Sim" fashion.

Animations are lost and/or simply don't animate out do to how Donny has the ratings weighted and how high he sets generated players to enter CFM at.

In fact, I would go as far to say that the "Sim" experience folks speak of/desire, is achievable if the community is given full access to this functionality, as it's been proven with many videos.

Last edited by khaliib; 06-21-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #42
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
I generally fall in the "bring back player editing" side of things, but for fun, a devil's advocate argument:

The ability to edit any and every player in the league, especially player ratings, is "not sim".

Discuss.
Asking a question like this is dangerous my friend. Some people will see it as an attack on what they consider 'Sim' players. I get your overall point tho, if the game was 100% life like there would be no way to change a rookies name. If Mike Zimmer looks at his roster and says "Captain Munnerln? There's no way that's a real name!, C;mon EA!!" He cant just go into a computer and change it. If he doesn't like the fact that his MLB is undersized he can't adjust his weight/height.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:54 PM   #43
MVP

StefJoeHalt's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:

I mentioned nothing of any existing game mechanics, functionality, or quirks and have no interest in indicting any of them as "sim" or "not sim" for the purposes of this question. My assertion was simply that the ability to play God and change player ratings outside of the context of the normal game for any reason at all was "not sim".

Put another way: I'm not interested in custom draft classes, the XP progression mechanic, EA Sports' procedurally-generated draft classes, or FBGratings for purposes of this question; they are out-of-scope.

I'm trying to figure out what's more valuable, the game being "sim" or allowing the user total control.

Trying to answer this question by ur guidelines is driving me crazy lol..cause by trying to answer u, u made ur point..yes def not "sim" within the realm of the question..however outside of ur guidelines this mode/editing can be def used for "sim" to correct issues within..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rule #1: Never leave a fellow Crasher behind. Crashers take care of their own.
Rule #2: Never use your real name.
Rule #15: Fight the urge to tell the truth.
Rule #30: Know the playbook so you can call an audible.
Twitter: @318TA621
Old 06-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #44
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
If Mike Zimmer looks at his roster and says "Captain Munnerln? There's no way that's a real name!, C;mon EA!!" He cant just go into a computer and change it. If he doesn't like the fact that his MLB is undersized he can't adjust his weight/height.
This is the full extent of the point I'm trying to make.

I want to know if people care about this particular point. Given that full player editing is not something which has traditionally been included in the Madden NFL games (it was in a couple versions on 360, but I don't recall full player editing being in any of the PS2 games), I'm guessing EA does in-fact care about this point, particularly in an online Connected Franchise setting.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #45
Pro

Arrowhead21's Arena

OVR: 1

I would consider my thought out edits to be more realistic and thus more "sim" than any of the seemingly random generated stuff madden does
NBA:Toronto Raptors
MLB:Toronto Blue Jays
NCAAF:Oregon Ducks
NCAAB:Kansas Jayhawks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #46
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefJoeHalt
Trying to answer this question by ur guidelines is driving me crazy lol..cause by trying to answer u, u made ur point..yes def not "sim" within the realm of the question..however outside of ur guidelines this mode/editing can be def used for "sim" to correct issues within.
I'm gathering that, and I think that (essentially doing a global rebalance of the game's player ratings) could be useful, especially for certain tasks such as playing the entire game with an FBGratings roster file. Granted, that would probably break player contracts; I am guessing that that OVR ratings would be too low to get enough players demanding big money, which is why EA wouldn't want player editing to that scale in the game.

More specifically, though, I wasn't even thinking of any intentionally-developed player progression game mechanics when offering my question, and I didn't want that to factor into the response whatsoever. I was phrasing my clarification pretty generally, probably too generally.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #47
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:

I would say that allowing the user total control is more valuable, because one could still create a sim game with that control. In my opinion, omnipotence and sim are not mutually exclusive. Omnipotence CAN be used to destroy the simulation quality of a game, but it doesn't automatically make a game non sim. Total User Control is actually the best way to enhance the simulation aspects of a game, smooth out the rough edges, so to speak.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:04 PM   #48
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

I don't think if hs to be either or. Full control doesn't mean non sim. Just like anything else. .depends on who's using it for what. I made LB ratings changes and the game played far more sim than it did after leaving EA'S hands.

Basically I don't buy it that anyone other than the developer making changes = non sim.

Lastly I don't want to be able to edit after a CFM starts.....Just would be nice to edit any issues, if any..before it's locked down.
Edit
Just now read rest of replies etc....

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 06-21-2015 at 02:12 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »