Home

Team Play

This is a discussion on Team Play within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #9
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Team Play

I'm honestly shocked about all the people asking about team play, if people keep asking though it's a lot more likely they will get it in. I don't remember many people asking for it for the last few years, the way they are now. Like Rex said though, they aren't going to just put it in unless they make it quality.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #10
Rookie

bloobloouk's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
I'm honestly shocked about all the people asking about team play, if people keep asking though it's a lot more likely they will get it in. I don't remember many people asking for it for the last few years, the way they are now. Like Rex said though, they aren't going to just put it in unless they make it quality.
I'd be happy for team play in CFM just to be as simple as someone joining a "party" and then opting to play for my franchise. I just want the same experience online as I would sat on a sofa with a friend (minus the high fiving.)
Old 06-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #11
Rookie

lbjcavsx23's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
It didn't seem to get touted as much as other features, they buried it in the menus, didn't allow you to set up a party with friends and play other randoms, provided no stat tracking/record keeping ... and they're surprised it wasn't heavily utilized? People had played Madden 1v1 online for years and years and it's what they were accustomed to. Did they really think that would change in just one-two years? Especially when OTP lacked the features present in 1v1?

It's an answer at least. I just wish they would look at the popularity of team-up modes in FIFA, NHL, NBA 2K, etc and maybe consider the fact that it was the structure of OTP, and not the concept itself, that was lacking in Madden.
Team Play in Communities had all those features, which was of course removed in Madden 25 next gen. It's a shame I'll continue to keep playing Madden 25 (360) until OTP is back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #12
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjcavsx23
Team Play in Communities had all those features, which was of course removed in Madden 25 next gen. It's a shame I'll continue to keep playing Madden 25 (360) until OTP is back.
I never played in a "Community." Didn't realize they had those functions. Why wouldn't they have expanded those to Quick OTP games?

I've been pretty down on Madden's gameplay for years now, but I was finally seeing encouraging progress. I was even prepared to purchase Madden 15 for the first time since 2005, but after renting the game and seeing that Team Play was removed, I never really gave it any more thought after that. I was so looking forward to playing OTP with my friends with the new defensive camera last year. And this year, playing in the secondary with the new hand-fighting, positioning, and the play-the-ball/play-the-man/play-the-hands options you have for defending passes would have been a lot of fun.

I really thought OTP would be expanding following Madden 25. Not only with more players in a single game, but maybe even a "MyPark" or "Club Pro" kind of mode where 6-12 or more people could play with their created Career players against others. I didn't expect OTP to be removed completely.

Sadly, looks like the streak will be up to 10 years come August.

Last edited by Pokes404; 06-19-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #13
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
I guess I just can't figure out why they couldn't have left the bare-bones OTP version in there. If it isn't a priority, and they don't want to devote time to it, I guess I can understand that. The fact that it was so bare-bones, in my opinion, played a role in it not being overly popular, but whatever that's fine. But why not leave it in as is for those who enjoy it, see if more people start giving it a try, and if it ever does start becoming popular enough to warrant extra attention, expand the mode at that point? I realize it would still require server space, memory, and other resources to function, but we're talking about something that was already in the game, wasn't going to require any more development hours if they didn't want to devote the time to it, and was about as bare-bones as it could possibly get. Would leaving OTP in have not allowed the resources to make Draft Champions happen? I really doubt it, but let's say it did. Do we need another mode where you build a fantasy team and play another user 1v1 online? Don't we have Connected Careers and Madden Ultimate Team already? Could they not leave in the mode that was at least different than anything else in the game (even if it was under utilized)?

One of the things I love most about football is the team aspect. It frustrates me that our only football gaming option seems to have zero interest in emphasizing team play. Or forget emphasizing it ... even just allowing the ability to do it. We have couch co-op and Share Play on the PS4. That's the closest thing we have left to any kind of team play in this game. Whether that's the developer's fault for not creating a compelling enough OTP experience to draw people in, or simply the majority of the Madden Community simply preferring 1v1 over team play for online games, or a little of both I don't know. But it's definitely disappointing for those of us looking for its return.

Alright, I'll get off my little soapbox now. The thing I liked wasn't popular and isn't coming back. Tough ... don't buy it and move on.

Last edited by Pokes404; 06-19-2015 at 03:21 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »