Home

Online Team Play

This is a discussion on Online Team Play within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2015, 06:08 AM   #1
Rookie

bloobloouk's Arena

OVR: 0
Online Team Play

We know that OTP isn't in the game this year and EA have said it was removed because people weren't making use of the feature. Have we any ideas as to how we can make it clear that this is a mode that we really want in the game? Obviously we can't start using it more to show its value to players as the option simply isn't there.

Couch co-op was huge before online play was available, it was the only option! It still had its place even after online play became a reality it's an experience that you just can't get online.... However for many it simply isn't an option any more. Gamers are getting older, they're moving away from their hometowns, working late, having kids etc. They can't pop round to their friends house to play a few games; the kids are asleep upstairs, they live too far away or it's too late in the evening to be practical.

"Why not just play head to head?" many people would say. Simple - fighting a friend isn't the same as going in a shared journey. I love co-operative play, I like cheering on my friends, sharing wisdom and working towards a common goal.

I'd like EA to go beyond what was there previously and give us online co-op in franchise mode. Let us share the highs and lows of the season - in essence make the co-op games count for something. Maybe this is the missing ingredient that meant people weren't using it?

My personal situation
I'm in my late twenties and I play Madden with my younger brother-in-law whenever he comes to stay (he lives a few hours away). We've always started a franchise that we play through together; building up our roster, compiling a draft board and having the odd argument over whether "that interception" was the fault of my QB or his WR. The sad thing is that he doesn't get to come over as much as he used to - rather than playing through 5-6 seasons we might be lucky to make it through 2. In a few years it wouldn't surprise me if we don't even make it to the post-season. Why can't we keep on playing together online when he's gone home? We'd be able to keep playing our franchise together when waiting for our competetive league to advance, rather than switching to a different game entirely to keep us amused in the meantime.

Other than sharing stories and hoping EA pays attention is there anything we can do?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Online Team Play

Give people in the league 24 hours to play their game otherwise it gets simulated. Too many times franchises get hauled because people just stop playing.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2015, 06:33 AM   #3
Rookie

bloobloouk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmw32
Give people in the league 24 hours to play their game otherwise it gets simulated. Too many times franchises get hauled because people just stop playing.

We do force sim from time to time, but most of the time we don't. We all know each other in real life and we all lead busy lives, meaning that we can't always play our game as quickly as we might like to. It's a different situation to most of the other leagues out there where you don't necessarilly know everyone that well. Even with our somewhat lax attitude we still manage to play through quite a few seasons though!

Even if we did institute a stricter policy for that league (and we are contemplating a 48 or 72 hour limit for this year) it wouldn't change my desire to play co-operatively. It's a completely different way of playing. For example, choosing a draft pick is so much more intense when it needs to be a collective decision. We can do this when we're in the same room together, but not when we're online.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:48 AM   #4
Rookie

But I think microphones and text messaging make it possible to be on the same page. I at least think it should be an option when it comes to simming games in the online franchise mode

Old 07-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
Rookie

bloobloouk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmw32
But I think microphones and text messaging make it possible to be on the same page. I at least think it should be an option when it comes to simming games in the online franchise mode

I think you miss my point about being able to play the game together. Sure I can chat with my brother-in-law about the franchise and he could watch me play over twitch, but he couldn't actually control any of the players during a game.

I agree you can work out schedules to get through an online CFM, but even if we were always available at the same time and never had to wait on anyone I'd still be keen on co-op play being in the game. As I said in the original post, it's a different way of playing with friends - working together rather than against one another.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #6
Rookie

I understand

Old 07-22-2015, 02:59 PM   #7
Pro

VinnyVegas28's Arena

I agree and can relate as I moved to a different state and couch coop was how I played. You can use the share play feature on ps4 to access online Co op. Granted it is an hour at a time but better than nothing.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
Pro

VinnyVegas28's Arena

It was never implemented the right way for an attractive online experience. Big reason why it was not successful in EA's thought process. That really bothers me. If they put the right resources in and made the mode function properly, many more people would try it and enjoy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »