Home

interesting comment about ea's ratings data

This is a discussion on interesting comment about ea's ratings data within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #9
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: interesting comment about ea's ratings data

Im often critical about posts that criticize Madden as it just seems to be complaining for the sake of complaining but I agree here. The rating system and slider system needs to be totally overhauled, If EA neglects this it could really damage Madden down the road.

The hard part is telling the EA bosses that even though the return on investment may not be immediate, it will ensure the future Madden games operate better. In the blue collar world its called Preventative Maintenance and its essential for growth.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:28 PM   #10
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
A good programmer will create self documenting code AND provide comments. Yes, code can be written to be pretty self documenting.

A big problem is when programmers write cryptic code that is difficult to read w/o meaningful comments.
Anyone trying to maintain longterm job security wouldn't leave behind notes.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #11
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batum Shaka Laka

Lol. This is what it seems like, sometimes, and I can imagine some people do this for that reason. I legit write code and comments that future people will hopefully be able to use and understand code more quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #12
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Lol. This is what it seems like, sometimes, and I can imagine some people do this for that reason. I legit write code and comments that future people will hopefully be able to use and understand code more quickly.

I do the same thing when I code SQL. Business Operations Analysts move about from job to job so often that you would only be doing those who follow you a major disservice. I just think that is bad business...and kind of a douchy thing to do. Every time we have an analyst who leaves without detailing what they did, we end up using months of time and resources just to backtrack their methods. It's a real pain in the butt.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Old 07-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batum Shaka Laka
Self documenting code is just as important as the comments/notes. A good programmer does both.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #14
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
I do the same thing when I code SQL. Business Operations Analysts move about from job to job so often that you would only be doing those who follow you a major disservice. I just think that is bad business...and kind of a douchy thing to do. Every time we have an analyst who leaves without detailing what they did, we end up using months of time and resources just to backtrack their methods. It's a real pain in the butt.

Oh yeah. No doubt. That is what my team (myself included) have run into when we have new hires trying to 'decipher' the code. I hate going through that, myself, so I try to make things more accessible for future hires. In the end, just depends if you're a douche or not. Lol.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #15
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34

I read this take from a former developer on reddit a few weeks ago, and immediately thought of Madden. Also felt a little guilty because I've been throwing shade at Madden around here lately. Pretty good perspective.

Quote:
Game engines help, but every game is essentially made from scratch

Game Engines like Unreal and Unity can reduce the load, but they also add a layer of complexity to your codebase, and some walls that you have no ability to customize. Ever wonder why so many UE 3 games feel really similar? Because making changes to some of those base elements was considered too costly for the development team to do. (Read as: someone would need to completely read, understand, and extend the Unreal Engine without breaking EVERYTHING)

Code and assets can be shared between projects, and occasionally teams. However, usually enough time has passed between when the code was poorly written at 2 AM to meet a deadline a year ago that nobody really remembers/knows why it was written that way. Time to rebuild it and reinvent the wheel, or ignore it and hope there isn't a bug.

Think this is only reserved for ****ty developers? It isn't. Unless a dev team has all of its original members, with all genius-level brain capacity, and none of them ever took a break from developing they will not remember what everything does, and waste time relearning stuff and integrating it into a new game.

Better graphics = higher budget

Everyone is loving those new Unreal 4 screenshots. So realistic. Did you know that Epic Games spends months with a large team just to create each demo? And the demos are usually one-and-done scripted scenes to prove out a concept, not a complete game.

Ever wonder why so many games have been getting released in a semi-broken state? Because many studios are not committing the correct amount of time and resources to provide the content at advertised quality. Development is far more expensive and time consuming than you could ever imagine.

A common phrase for developers is:
“The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time”

One feature change/addition can require several hundred hours or more of testing

Large AAA studios have QA teams that outnumber the dev team, usually by a large margin. Any time the code is changed you have 3 possible outcomes:
  1. The game is broken, everyone stop working and find out why
  2. The game MAY be broken, upwards of a hundred people need to be mobilized to retest absolutely everything in the game
  3. Just kidding, there’s only 2 options. Stop dreaming.

You may think additions to the pause screen would be a quick change with no consequences on the rest of the game...until it breaks the game. You may think the player customization should have no effect on the final boss battle…. until it breaks the game. You may think an artist can add content to a level with no adverse effects….until it breaks the game. Starting to get the idea? I’ve seen development come to a halt for the most trivial of changes that you would be shocked any game was ever finished.

Game studios are like group projects in college

Remember all those fond memories you have of getting assigned into groups in your English 101 class? Remember how awesome it is to do group projects? Game development is like that. It is EXACTLY like that. Imagine a group project where 5 people need to write sections of a creative writing assignment in a Word document together. That’s EXACTLY like game development assuming some of the members are not native-English speakers.

Sometimes a game is a failure because of poor management. You would be surprised how many talented and passionate people are in the industry. Poor management can ultimately sink a talented team almost every time.

Every game is just smoke and mirrors with known defects when it's shipped

I remember a simpler time, before I began my game development career, where I bitched about developers failing to add accurate collisions to character props, or pieces of trees, etc. I remember complaining about the lack of realism in character faces, or hair, or anything. Guess what? Almost none of those things I mentioned are created or placed in a game by programmers. These things will almost NEVER be right no matter how many developers you throw at a game, or how long they develop. There are usually so many higher priority problems with a game at the end, that spending time on these minor issues is viewed as a waste of money, time, and energy.

Artists and designers generally spend the end of a development cycle by figuratively putting rugs over the cracks in the floor, and hanging paintings over holes in the walls. This is called polish. Great artists and designers can sometimes make a mediocre game feel nearly perfect, but it’s all done at the end, and only if there is time and money for it. The work done here is what people praise more than anything, and is the least important and poorly planned part of the project.

No game has ever finished early

No game has ever finished early. There just isn’t enough time to fix everything. If you gave a development team hundred years to make a game, they would take a hundred years and complain about running out of time at the end. The reasons for this are varied:
  • Developers generally schedule the project based on the amount of time allowed in an attempt to maximize the output from a team
  • Nothing ever goes exactly to plan, leaving management with a load of tough problems to solve, and pushing the team past internal deadlines
  • As the complexity of the project increases, the difficulty and time involved with testing and fixing issues increases disproportionately. You have to test the combination of features as well as the feature by itself on the off chance that some edge case bricks the game.
  • Given more time, developers unleash their ambitions and elect to make larger and more complicated systems with more attention to detail. Nobody ever says “Ok, I think we have the perfect ___.” and never looks at it again.

No developer is scamming you to get your money

Game developers love their jobs. They’d have to or else they would be suicidal. With the amount of training and knowledge required to be a successful developer, there are about a thousand other jobs you could take that pay better, and give you less stress. They want to be universally successful, entertain the masses, and be recognized for their work. This is not an environment where people want to half-*** something for the sake of a paycheck.

The reason some of these games end up being ****ty is usually because of investors, publishers, and MBAs. These people are not developers, and they view the development cycle as a business investment. They do not make decisions for the love of the community, they make decisions for their bottom line. Unfortunately, the larger a game budget needs to be, the more important people like investors and publishers become. By pushing things towards high-end graphics, the consumer is forcing non-developers into the process, and destroying their own games.
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........

Last edited by Hassan Darkside; 07-30-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2015, 05:02 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

that was a good article hassan

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »