Home

Line Play During Passes is Still Bad, How Come They Can't get it Right?

This is a discussion on Line Play During Passes is Still Bad, How Come They Can't get it Right? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2015, 03:00 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0

Three years into next gen and line play still does not come close to resembling what we see on Sundays, especially during pass plays. From the videos I've seen of Madden 16 its still the same old defensive linemen get stonewalled at the los until one of them break off for a b-line towards the Qb, and defensive ends get absolutely no pressure for the most part.
I think the problem is that defensive ends are not able to push offensive tackles backward fast enough allowing the Qb to get the ball off before the pocket forms and collapse.
I think the pocket needs to start forming as soon as the ball is hiked, defensive ends should be headed up field towards the Qb collapsing the pocket by the time the ball reaches the Quarterbacks hand. Why is this do hard to do in Madden?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2015, 05:20 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Line Play During Passes is Still Bad, How Come They Can't get it Right?

It will never look right until foot placement and leverage are properly taken into effect.
They need to have linemen execute run/pass footwork effectively and then use leverage as the multiplier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2015, 06:40 AM   #3
Rookie

lowndsy's Arena

OVR: 2

It is far from perfect agreed but the video of Titans vs buccs just come out 1 guy vs cpu looks not to bad at all in my opinion cpu QB still drifts into LDE a lot but looked a lot better than some vids I have seen.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:51 AM   #4
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

The only videos I have seen where the line play looks bad are all user h2h games. Against CPU it seems fine

I think they had a good thing going last year with the war in the trenches. Line play interactions were somewhat dynamic and pockets formed sometimes. The interior rush was overpowered but they just needed some tuning. It would help if they improved HB and TE blocking on pass plays so people used it more as well to buy more time in the pocket.

Hopefully with sliders in the online cfm we can get a realistic pass rush again.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:10 AM   #5
Banned

Seems like CPU defensive ends get absolutely no pressure again this year, its been like this for years for some reason, you have to user control to get any pressure with defensive ends accept for an occasional random sack. When I say pressure I dont mean sacking the Qb all the time, I mean having the pocket collapse in of the Qb, have a defensive end like like JJ Watt push offensive tackles into the the Qb all game, I want to see dominate defensive ends be cause havoc all game, again it doesnt mean they are getting five sacks a game, it means they are pressing the Qb, attempting strips on Qb's in an attempt to cause a fumble, bat down passes, causing false starts and holding calls.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19

Agreed on all fronts OP. The line play does not reflect the NFL at all, and that affects the entire game.

Maybe next year they will redo the line play.

Line play isn't sexy though, not a big sell to the masses.

Last edited by DocHolliday; 08-18-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #7
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides421
It will never look right until foot placement and leverage are properly taken into effect.
They need to have linemen execute run/pass footwork effectively and then use leverage as the multiplier.

This is exactly how I would do it too. You could mo-cap new animations for both bad and good footwork and have that tied to Pass Blocking and Run Blocking Ratings in game. As you pointed out, leverage would be the modifier. This sounds like a pretty solid design choice. I'm sure they have thought about because they have some former offensive lineman that work for them.

Last edited by GameBreaker35; 08-18-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #8
All-Pro

ATLBrayden's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Agreed on all fronts OP. The line play does not reflect the NFL at all, and that affects the entire game.

Maybe next year they will redo the line play.

Line play isn't sexy though, not a big sell to the masses.

Yep, even in the real NFL casual fans like to see the flashy players and points scored, even though it's one of the most important things on the football field they couldn't care less for line play.

My NBA 2K19 Lakers Dynasty -https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-nba-2k19.html

PSN: GetYourSwooshOn
XBL: Gunslinger7O2

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »