Home

Now That Madden Works Again, It's Time To Restore Some Legacy Features

This is a discussion on Now That Madden Works Again, It's Time To Restore Some Legacy Features within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16
Now That Madden Works Again, It's Time To Restore Some Legacy Features

I am a Madden 2005 loyalist from the old Madden Mania board. During the transition to PS3 gen I tried my best to keep hope alive that we wouldn't lose too much during the change over. Unfortunately, we lost a ton of great strategic/sim features that have never been restored.

1) Custom plays/ Play editor. This is my number one favorite feature of all time, and it's what brought me over to Madden from Gameday back in '99. The ability to install my own offense and defense and play my style of ball at all times made the game tremendous fun both against other players and the CPU. Moreover, the replay value of the game is massively increased by this tool. I could spend hours and hours just tinkering around with my offense, and running practice mode.

I understand the worry and bother about cheeze. But with a more powerful editor/creation tool you could adjust your defensive zones and offensive blocking schemes to adjust to any kind of money play or nano blitz. In my opinion, you could eliminate cheating altogether.

As for online, you wouldn't allow it for ranked games. But it could be an AGREED UPON OPTION for unranked games and Connected Franchises. Within franchise mode it would be great because you could add in the ability to ban certain plays and routes, or simply only allow specified plays, routes and formations.

2) Custom Hot Routes. This was a big one to lose. And I would take it a step further than PS2 gen, and not only let you choose from a variety of existing routes, but also install your own custom routes as options.

3) Custom Audibles. Really seems like a no brainer. If you've got a profile you should be able to install your custom offense and defense in that profile and attach a given set of audibles to it. Any time you go to play a game, your audibles go with you.

4) Formation Audibles. This was a great one. It allowed you to run any one of your existing plays out of any formation at the line of scrimmage. It really helped to disguise intentions and beguile opponents.

5) Custom Controller Configuration. This one is self explanatory. I should be able to choose what buttons do what, so that I can be the most comfortable. Every player should have the ability to lay out his own config so that however he runs his game, he can always be at his best.

Lastly, a feature that was lobbied for, but never made it into the PS2 gen games:

6) In-Game Play Editing/Adjustments. This will be huge for stopping cheeze. I believe that if this feature is ever adopted by Madden, it will become a must have for every player. The ability to adjust defensive zones and offensive blocking within plays DURING THE GAME. In the real game there are no "money plays" or "nano blitzes" because players and coaches can adjust coverage and blocking. If you're running the same shallow cross that's unstoppable, I should be able to open up my play and adjust the zone accordingly. Without you seeing it. So the next time you try to slide your money play in that area, *BANG*, interception. Same with pass blocking. You should be able to give a blocker a gap emphasis if a certain area is being repeatedly exploited. Just like in real football.

As powerful as these new gen machine are, I feel all these things could be achievable in the next two production cycles. Thank you all very much for your contributions to this board, and for your commentary here.

I want to drop a Special Thank You on the current Madden development team for restoring Madden to it's proper glory. We're so close to getting it right, and your hard work in fixing legacy issues is much, much appreciated.

Last edited by shotgun styles; 08-29-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
MVP

Madden's Jowels's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Now That Madden Works Again, It's Time To Restore Some Legacy Features

Add to this list, formation subs that actually save and don't revert back to default the next game.

If I want Emmanuel Sanders to start in all 2 WR sets and move into the slot in all 3 WR sets with Latimer on the outside, I should be able to set that up ONCE and not have to do it again the next game of my franchise.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:09 PM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
3) Custom Audibles. Really seems like a no brainer. If you've got a profile you should be able to install your custom offense and defense in that profile and attach a given set of audibles to it. Any time you go to play a game, your audibles go with you.

4) Formation Audibles. This was a great one. It allowed you to run any one of your existing plays out of any formation at the line of scrimmage. It really helped to disguise intentions and beguile opponents.

5) Custom Controller Configuration. This one is self explanatory. I should be able to choose what buttons do what, so that I can be the most comfortable. Every player should have the ability to lay out his own config so that however he runs his game, he can always be at his best.
These three are already in the game and/or possible through other means.

Audibles are customized per-playbook, so you'll have to create a custom playbook to set them (you can create a playbook that is a duplicate of a default playbook, however; you don't have to build it from scratch). Those audibles are then loaded whenever you enter a game with that playbook. You can set four audibles per formation in your playbook, so formation-specific audibles are in the game as well.

Custom control mapping is done through the the console operating system. Admittedly this is only a feature on PS4 right now.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #4

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7

I dont think its still in the game but I remember when you would scramble with your QB you could use the stick to point where you wanted your WR to go to try and get him open.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:31 PM   #5
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
You can set four audibles per formation in your playbook, so formation-specific audibles are in the game as well.

All of that was good to know. I want to address the above quote. "Formation Audibles" are not "Formation Specific Audibles".

The Formation Audible feature allowed you to call a play on the play screen, say X Deep Post, Z Cross out of the I Formation. Then WITHOUT CHANGING THE PLAY, you could change the formation to Single Back Two TE, sending the FB to the TE position. This is something the Patriots are notorious for: running the same play out of many formations, and changing the formation while keeping the play so as to disguise their look.

I do like the idea of having Formation Specific Audibles, though. It ups the total number of audibles available. Before, you only got 5 total. The problem there comes when you need to audible to a play that's in a different formation, and now you can't get to it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

OVR: 0

Defensive Assignments i.e Joe haden follows the #1 receiver wherever he lines up

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #7
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datninja619
Defensive Assignments i.e Joe haden follows the #1 receiver wherever he lines up

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
YES! I was going to add this, but couldn't remember what it was called. Good call Ninja.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
Rookie

wundrbread33's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
I dont think its still in the game but I remember when you would scramble with your QB you could use the stick to point where you wanted your WR to go to try and get him open.
I haven't tried this year but it was in last year's game, although cumbersome to use. Last year you could hold "LT" or "L2" and then move the closest receiver with the right stick to get him open.

I never used it because it hurt my brain to remember the method while scrambling with my QB.

They might have taken this out now due to those triggers being used for "low passes" now.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »