Home

Does strength matter for DEs?

This is a discussion on Does strength matter for DEs? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 1
Does strength matter for DEs?

I was doing the depth chart for Patriots and noticed LOLB Jamie Collins had a higher overall as both LE and RE. Looking at his attributes, seems like strength doesn't matter for DEs.
Strength-65
PMV--93
FMV--79
BSH--76

He has both Swim and Bull Rush traits. Depth chart in Franchise showed Collins as a 91 overall at LOLB. However, at both LE and RE he was higher, 94.

I thought strength would be important for a defensive end. But, looking at Collins, I don't know what to think. He has good power move rating of 93 but really low on the strength side at 65. Does strength matter for DEs in this game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
Where is A-Aron

bspring3's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Does strength matter for DEs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
I was doing the depth chart for Patriots and noticed LOLB Jamie Collins had a higher overall as both LE and RE. Looking at his attributes, seems like strength doesn't matter for DEs.
Strength-65
PMV--93
FMV--79
BSH--76

He has both Swim and Bull Rush traits. Depth chart in Franchise showed Collins as a 91 overall at LOLB. However, at both LE and RE he was higher, 94.

I thought strength would be important for a defensive end. But, looking at Collins, I don't know what to think. He has good power move rating of 93 but really low on the strength side at 65. Does strength matter for DEs in this game?
It does, but the importance varies depending on what your scheme type is for the DE position. If I recall correctly, a 3-4 run stopper DE will have strength as more important in the overall calculation then a 4-3 speed rusher.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Strength-65
PMV--93
FMV--79
BSH--76

Spring has it correct.

If a 3-4, I like linemen with a high STR (to hold double teams), PWV( to bypass double teams), PREC (for reading screens and play action) and Blockshed (Necessary for the run)

What you listed is pretty good for a DE, plus I'm sure his SPD and ACC is 85+ (at least ACC). PREC and AWR also.

SDP, ACC, PREC, and AWR may also be inflating his End OVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspring3
It does, but the importance varies depending on what your scheme type is for the DE position. If I recall correctly, a 3-4 run stopper DE will have strength as more important in the overall calculation then a 4-3 speed rusher.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
The Patriots in Madden are designated Hybrid Defense. The LE and RE scheme is 3-4 versatile. Looking at the Patriots defensive playbook, there are more 3-4 formations, much more, than 4-3. They have just two 4-3 sets and that's all. Thus, I would believe they are looking more for 3-4 Ends.

If say I changed Collins to a DE, he would be the only DE in Madden with an overall rating that high, 96--no one else even close with that strength--using main screen sorting by strength under NFL. I just edited Collins at main screen to LE and he was 96 overall. he has 83 speed 90 acceleration. But, someone like Khalil Mack is faster and would have less overall at LE.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
Where is A-Aron

bspring3's Arena

I have used 3-4 versatile in previous years, and this one I know heavily weighs play recognition and awareness in its calculation. My guess is that Collins is fairly high in both.

What I would do is go into the schemes and rotate through the options, they list the attributes that are most important in its calculation. Look for the one that YOU will value most in that position and then go with that. I rarely look at strictly overall in making depth chart determinations as I usually have a few attributes that I value for each position and then base it off that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
I have used 3-4 versatile in previous years, and this one I know heavily weighs play recognition and awareness in its calculation. My guess is that Collins is fairly high in both.

What I would do is go into the schemes and rotate through the options, they list the attributes that are most important in its calculation. Look for the one that YOU will value most in that position and then go with that. I rarely look at strictly overall in making depth chart determinations as I usually have a few attributes that I value for each position and then base it off that.
Collins has 84 for PRC and 83 for AWR.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #7
Where is A-Aron

bspring3's Arena

Quote:
Collins has 84 for PRC and 83 for AWR.
There you go....that combined with his crazy high Power Move and speed will give you a high overall. But i would still not play him there because you know he will not be as good with the low strength. Again, I do not use overall for this very reason.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
There you go....that combined with his crazy high Power Move and speed will give you a high overall.
Does it make sense to you that he has crazy high power move and just 65 for strength?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »