Home

Why do defensive players hand off WRs in man D and not Zone?

This is a discussion on Why do defensive players hand off WRs in man D and not Zone? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2015, 11:39 PM   #1
Rookie

DreSki's Arena

OVR: 2
Why do defensive players hand off WRs in man D and not Zone?

This is really weird but it happens to me quite frequently playing man D and it should totally be a thing for zone defense more then man. Its shows that its possible so its just surprising it doesnt happen ingame. Anyway check this out.

Playing a man cover 1 right here. LB is suppose to be covering the HB on a flat and my Safety is suppose to be covering the TE. Instead LB passes the HB to the Safety and decides to go after the TE instead leaving a huge gap in the D that luckily the QB misses.

While i dont mind this the question is why isnt this happening when defenders play zone? Ncaa was able to have this in and i think it would solve a huge problem as to why zones this year arent nearly as good as they should be. Could it possibly be a bug? Has anyone else had any experiences like this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2015, 12:05 AM   #2
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Why do defensive players hand off WRs in man D and not Zone?

Maybe because the way Madden is programmed to match players up? So they may match up by speed, and if the HB is faster than the TE the Safety takes the HB and the LB takes the TE?

It is all I can think of here..
Old 09-07-2015, 04:26 AM   #3
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreSki
This is really weird but it happens to me quite frequently playing man D and it should totally be a thing for zone defense more then man. Its shows that its possible so its just surprising it doesnt happen ingame. Anyway check this out.

Playing a man cover 1 right here. LB is suppose to be covering the HB on a flat and my Safety is suppose to be covering the TE. Instead LB passes the HB to the Safety and decides to go after the TE instead leaving a huge gap in the D that luckily the QB misses.

While i dont mind this the question is why isnt this happening when defenders play zone? Ncaa was able to have this in and i think it would solve a huge problem as to why zones this year arent nearly as good as they should be. Could it possibly be a bug? Has anyone else had any experiences like this?
In balanced formations, it would make sense for the safety take the deepest stemming route and the line backer to take the shorter depth. This is very similar to to man coverage against two back formations; the play art shows linebackers or safeties covering specific players but it doesn't play out that way - they cover the receiver that breaks to their side of the field regardless of who it is. It would create a natural pick if they didnt.

I say this in many of my posts, but Madden doesn't replicate real defensive coverage. In Madden, player are given a choice of Man, Zone, or a combination of these two; each of these choices has a strength and a weakness. However, teams don't run man or zone anymore in a given play. They run both at the same time in the same play depending on how the receivers run their routes. It's called pattern match coverage. It gives playcallers the best of both worlds with none of the weaknesses. It really bothers me because Madden continues to misinform fans of football on how the game is played leading to confusion about what is "realistic" and what is not.

The real question is why is the offense equipped with contemporary strategic tools and the defense is still locked in the proverbial "dark ages" of counter measures.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #4
Rookie

DreSki's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBreaker35
In balanced formations, it would make sense for the safety take the deepest stemming route and the line backer to take the shorter depth. This is very similar to to man coverage against two back formations; the play art shows linebackers or safeties covering specific players but it doesn't play out that way - they cover the receiver that breaks to their side of the field regardless of who it is. It would create a natural pick if they didnt.

I say this in many of my posts, but Madden doesn't replicate real defensive coverage. In Madden, player are given a choice of Man, Zone, or a combination of these two; each of these choices has a strength and a weakness. However, teams don't run man or zone anymore in a given play. They run both at the same time in the same play depending on how the receivers run their routes. It's called pattern match coverage. It gives playcallers the best of both worlds with none of the weaknesses. It really bothers me because Madden continues to misinform fans of football on how the game is played leading to confusion about what is "realistic" and what is not.

The real question is why is the offense equipped with contemporary strategic tools and the defense is still locked in the proverbial "dark ages" of counter measures.
Oh i know exactly what you mean. Again im not mad that it happened, my question is more along the lines of if players on defense can hand off their man to someone else why isnt it possible with zone Ds that rely on it more then man coverage does. Its clearly in the game maybe it just doesnt trigger on zone like its suppose to?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »