Home

Formation Subs - A More Realistic Approach.

This is a discussion on Formation Subs - A More Realistic Approach. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
Rookie

JoedicyMichael's Arena

OVR: 3
Post Formation Subs - A More Realistic Approach.

Well, as many of us love & miss the formation subs that were in prior Madden & NCAA games; I've a great idea about whenever (if ever) we see its return.

( Of course this is all a realistic approach, so if you are more of a SIM style, this may not be for you. )

1)Realistic Sub-Ins/Out

One of the biggest gripes about formation subs was that whenever you went to that formation with a player on the sideline, that player(s) just automatically appeared in the game..

HOWEVER, we all know in reality, the player has to run on the field & get in the game. This could be something added in the future & should feature players running in & out of the game. This only takes about 5 seconds at most and shouldn't be too much of a problem. (Plus, it makes you think about Clock Time/ Play Clock etc).

This could be applied for Auto-Subs as well. (Also, the defense has the opportunity to sub in/out as well)

2)Scripted Plays

While this is a little bit more built toward gameplay, than the actual auto-sub feature; It would be nice to be able to have 2/3 plays already called & set-up without having to go to the play call screen. <<< However, you could only do this after a time-out, before the game, opening halftime).

This would allow users who like to set-up their opponent with different plays back-2-back quickly. (Of course you can audible out of them).

Back to Formation subs- lets say you set-up two different formations with personnel that have to come in-out of the game, instead of the sub taking the regular 5 seconds, maybe it could take less ???

But, this is all an idea. What do you all think??

Last edited by JoedicyMichael; 09-07-2015 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Forget to mention some defensive strategy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Formation Subs - A More Realistic Approach.

I think your ideas are worth exploring.
In general, I just want them back. Mainly, so we can set who plays on special teams. I'm tired of having a starter cover a kickoff, then be tired on defense and removed on a critical 3rd down due to fatigue.
I'd also like to see better definition of positions. For example, Strong LB, Weak LB, Strong side DE, Weak side DE, 1-Technique DT, 3-Technique DT, etc.
Slot WR, Flanker, Split End, etc.
This would allow us to setup a more responsive depth chart, and have guys play the specific roles we want them to play.
Custom Sub packages would be wonderful, too, instead of having to rely on cookie-cutter packages already in the game.
It must be one hell of an undertaking to implement these features, even though most of them were in previous versions of the game (in some cases even with technology from 2 generations ago).
Maybe they'll figure out how to implement these things someday.
But before they add anything, I'm always for fixing existing bugs/glitches/nuts/bolts first. IOW, if you have 10,000 hours to make the next Madden, and there are 11,000 hours of bugs/glitches to fix, just fix the bugs and glitches. Save the new features for next time. Don't go to Step 2 when you haven't mastered Step 1.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:01 PM   #3
Rookie

JoedicyMichael's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvann4x
Mainly, so we can set who plays on special teams. I'm tired of having a starter cover a kickoff, then be tired on defense and removed on a critical 3rd down due to fatigue.
I'd also like to see better definition of positions. For example, Strong LB, Weak LB, Strong side DE, Weak side DE, 1-Technique DT, 3-Technique DT, etc.
Slot WR, Flanker, Split End, etc. M
I 100% agree. I thought that taking out taking the KR/PR packages was totally out of line.

Also, about the defined positions, I also would like to see some defined for linebackers especially. Even tho, most LB's play multiple, it would be nice to see.

For WR's tho, this is a must because alot of lower rated receivers are good utility players
Old 09-07-2015, 11:43 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm fond of creativity when it comes to play calling. Bookmarking the thread to support the idea. The point in regards to the formations, and the scene where the sub should be displayed or what not would be cool. I'll end it with post game interviews NOT necessarily w/ audio and the crowded field after the winning team's QB Kneel on the opposing team w/o timeouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tap
Old 09-08-2015, 12:38 AM   #5
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

I'd like a quicker way to switch backs, in the modern NFL days of committees it's somewhat unacceptable that this hasn't been addressed.

Should just have right stick (click in) change your primary back on the fly even if in play call selection.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2015, 02:00 AM   #6
Rookie

JoedicyMichael's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find_The_Door
I'd like a quicker way to switch backs,
As in subbing in your back-up RB quicker ?? I remember in NCAA you were able to change subs on the fly with the formation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Coaches
I'm fond of creativity when it comes to play calling. Bookmarking the thread to support the idea. The point in regards to the formations, and the scene where the sub should be displayed or what not would be cool. I'll end it with post game interviews NOT necessarily w/ audio and the crowded field after the winning team's QB Kneel on the opposing team w/o timeouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tap
Sure, it seems like 2K has this down pact. I guess that'll be a deeper concept for CFM.

One thing I will say is that, one thing we don't ever see in a game is 10/12 men in the game. Maybe frequently subbing in/out too often could cause this.

Speaking of which, I would like to see some of what NFL Head Coach had in-game in terms of player confidence in current gen. Imagine what that could do for SIM Style gamers.

"When I die, bury me upside down.. So the world can kiss my ***"
Old 09-08-2015, 08:42 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 1

i liked ncaa or old school m08 on pc, hc05 on pc. not hc09 or madden 25(?) where you do it every game or fudge by in game then save

all formations you can select who is where. i dont have starters on ST if i dont want, if i want to block kick or punt then switch for those to bsh/pmv crew

whilst i might prefer 3-4 tackler mlb and 3-4 pr olb, i might want to sub the mcv/zcv mlb and rolb in dollar. when i want the hands team i want the cat peeps whether off or def.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoedicyMichael
As in subbing in your back-up RB quicker ?? I remember in NCAA you were able to change subs on the fly with the formation.

Sure, it seems like 2K has this down pact. I guess that'll be a deeper concept for CFM.

One thing I will say is that, one thing we don't ever see in a game is 10/12 men in the game. Maybe frequently subbing in/out too often could cause this.

Speaking of which, I would like to see some of what NFL Head Coach had in-game in terms of player confidence in current gen. Imagine what that could do for SIM Style gamers.

"When I die, bury me upside down.. So the world can kiss my ***"
I saw 9 men on my defense yesterday. I called a Dime that's supposed to have 4 CBs and 2 safeties. I use Wide for camera and could see there was nobody covering a WR. I called timeout and viewed the replay. Sure enough, I had 9 men on the field and missing 2 CBs. I called the same play again, and again I was missing 2 CBs and had 9 men on the field. I viewed instant replay, clicked R3 and thought I was making a video clip to record it. I have a PS4 and couldn't find where that video clip is. I went looking and it appears with Madden 16 I need to use the Share button.

Anyway, so yes, I saw 9 men on the field for my team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »