Home

Scouting and Drafting: how's your experience?

This is a discussion on Scouting and Drafting: how's your experience? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Scouting and Drafting: how's your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInSaratoga
I think a good compromise between the old system and this new one, would be if we could scout up to 3 attributes where you could choose specific attributes or have the scout reveal his best unrevealed attribute.

For example, if you are trying to draft press-man corners you might scout man coverage, press and "tell me what else they are good at".
This was almost exactly my idea, too. Another idea is to make every position-specific attribute "scoutable" but have costs go up as you scout. Want to know every one? Fine, but it's going to keep you from exploring someone else. Don't allow physical and intangible ratings to be revealed...let people use the combine results for that. Development should never be revealed. Or at least not without a BIG cost associated with it In other words, you want to find a sure-fire "home run" pick? Fine...but you'll probably be drafting pretty blindly with the rest of your picks.

In all honesty, I'd love to see a scouting system like Head Coach 09 had. You started out being able to lightly scout a whole bunch of guys but didn't reveal much. Later in the process, you could scout the senior bowl (or whatever it was called) and it revealed more info but you couldn't select very many players (IIRC, the number was dependent on scout ratings). They added in the combine where you could get physical attributes scouted but, again had to select a limited number at each position. Pro days meant you could only select one of five schools each day...some would have a bunch of players but others just 1-2 but it wasn't unusual to have multiple guys scouted from different schools with the same pro day. Again, just bits of information were revealed. Finally, you had a very small number of individual workouts that revealed a bunch of info. IMO, this was a nearly perfect system. Better scouts meant that you could get info on more guys and you had to start narrowing down your list as you wanted to dig deeper on players. I don't remember the exact details but ratings were linked to certain scouting stages, too. I didn't get into the game as much as I wanted so can't speak too much to the execution of it but the theory was fantastic. Thought for sure that when some of those guys joined Madden's team we'd see it implemented. Man, now I want to break out my old copy and give things another try...
Old 09-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #34
Rookie

EricFreakingBerry's Arena

OVR: 0

Personally, I'd rather trade knowing about one random player trait for the "true draft value" since that TDV isn't that helpful anyway. It might be nice to know:

*His 3 top intangibles
*His combine numbers
*One randomly revealed player trait like the feet in bounds, swim move, big hitter, throws ball away stuff (no dev trait though)

Then the risk of drafting a bust is still completely there but you get a more rounded profile of the player.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #35
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by althor
I just did my 3rd draft last night. I had more pressing concerns in the first draft so I didn't check linebackers. I made LB a priority in the 2nd draft and they seemed to be terrible. Either really slow with OK strength, or not quite as slow with low strength. I drafted 2 last night. Both in the 2nd round. First was ROLB 81ovr 84sp 82acc 74str star dev. The 2nd was 74ovr 87sp 90acc 75str star dev. I also drafted a RE that I will be switching to LB he was the 71st overall pick 79ovr 85sp 89acc 68str star dev. If they aren't star or quick, I dump them. With progression being an issue it is not worth the time investment for any rookie that isn't.

*On a side note.. I saw in last night's draft that my scout got a discount on a couple of the locked traits. Now, it is the biggest waste EVER. What happened is, instead of paying 5 pts to unlock the trait, I paid 3 pts. That left me with 2 unusuable points. So when I advanced to the next week, it left me with 1 unusuable point. So I guess if you get real lucky you might get the discount 5x and get an extra 5 points to unlock a trait with... woop dee doo.
Did u pick up on anything specfic as to note on how they were superstar dev trail while u were scouting them
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 5

Drafted a DE in round 1 6'4" 250 lbs and moved to OLB. Was 1st round talent, but deciding factor was combine numbers. Even progressing normally the kid is a star. 8 sacks as a rookie. This was just for testing, so it goes away on Friday. I like it, there is still a bit of fog of war.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:38 AM   #37
Rookie

RabidPanther's Arena

3rd rd. pick doesn't match my scheme didn't even scout him just noticed he had a good combine with a 4.27 40 yd dash. Drafted him and this was his stats pretty stellar and has good size! Going to be a good target. With a matching scheme would imagine he would be 82-84ish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (364.0 KB, 466 views)
Old 09-10-2015, 06:03 AM   #38
Just started!

[color=red" size="4]Ms. Thuy Hoang - 0909.648.178,[/color]
Cho thue xe nang hang - Diesel Forklift / Battery Forklift / Reach Truck t?i HCM, Bình Duong, D?ng Nai, Long An vÃ* các t?nh lân c?n. Bán xe nâng m?i 100% hi?u Nissan, xe nang cu 85% ph? tùng chÃ*nh hãng Nh?t B?n.
Chúc các b?n m?t ngÃ*y vui v?,
Old 09-11-2015, 01:21 AM   #39
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidPanther
3rd rd. pick doesn't match my scheme didn't even scout him just noticed he had a good combine with a 4.27 40 yd dash. Drafted him and this was his stats pretty stellar and has good size! Going to be a good target. With a matching scheme would imagine he would be 82-84ish.
He's the best receiver in the game. Lol at the madden draft classes
Old 09-11-2015, 02:24 AM   #40
8bit Super Macho Man

Nuke LaLoosh's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidPanther
Bombs away to this guy^^^^^ Just chuck it up dog. They can't jump with me golly!

I'm in bed and don't have more specifics but my first draft class was probably as good as it could get.

First pick overall I took a QB, 85 ovr, arm in the upper 90', SS development. I did not notice, as it was my first ever selection on madden 16, where he fell in terms of overall value. Second rd I took a WR, he was in the 80's and was one of the top 15 players in the draft, SS development. I added a SS development LT in the 4th rd and a quick development DE later as well. I believe I am leaving out one more SS development player, just can't remember who.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »