Home

Scouting and Drafting: how's your experience?

This is a discussion on Scouting and Drafting: how's your experience? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Scouting and Drafting: how's your experience?

Apologies if there's another thread like this, I didn't find one by a search.

I'm interested in everyone's drafting experience. I'm only mid way through my first season, but I'm liking it so far.

Finding good people? Getting a bunch of busts? I have to laugh when I scout a guy's best trait and it's a B - for toughness....uh, next !

Discuss!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Scouting and Drafting: how's your experience?

Yeah mixed results so far. Seems like it may not be quite as easy to consistently find studs which is probably a good thing. 2/3 drafts I had all normal development players but on the third attempt I nailed it and had several quick and a pair of superstar devs. Not sure if it is a crap shoot and I got lucky or what.

Would be nice to be able to sort combine results though. I'm curious what everyone's strategies are though. What ratings they will give up on (example being if toughness is the best attribute for a lineman, unless he's very late round and its B+, then he's off my board instantly)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
Rookie

althor's Arena

Back- 4.49= 90 speed, acc variable
24 reps = 77 str.

WR- 4.27= 98 speed
4.32= 96 speed
TE- 4.71= 82 speed
22reps= 74 str..

I have been taking notes like this to try and get an idea of what I am drafting. I really don't like I cant check their development since the xp is so low that development is hugely important.

What is the point of a scout now?
Old 09-07-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
Worst Gamer Ever

timisone's Arena

OVR: 6

I like the new scouting, only thing is if I have the first pick it is hard for me to get the best pick in the draft or even the top 5. I can of have a solid draft but that first pick is almost like a throw away pick for me. I have never drafted anyone higher than 79 when their is a few 80s in the draft.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #5
Rookie

I really just don't understand it at this point, to be honest.

I hired the highest level scout that I could (lvl 23). When I scout people, as everyone knows, I am shown the current projected draft position, and then a true value once I complete scouting. What has me confused, is that true value seems like complete BS.

For example I had a top 5 pick and needed a WR. There was a WR projected as an 'early 1st round' pick. I completed my scouting and his 'True value' was listed as 'early first round' and it changed his little diamond green. I drafted him thinking it was safe based on his true value, and then it tells me it was a huge reach, and that he was the 53rd best player in the draft.

In the very same draft I scouted a QB projected as mid 4th round. After scouting him it said his true value was as a early 4th round pick. I selected him in the late third round, and he was an 84 overall QB, and was the 2nd best overall player in the entire draft.

Now, while it was exciting to select the QB and get a steal, what is the point in scouting for a players 'true value' if that is complete 100% BS. I mean, I'm not saying it needs to give the exact spot a player should be rated. But, if a player is the 53rd best player in the draft it shouldnt tell me the 'true value' is early first. If a player is the 2nd best player in the draft it shouldn't tell me that the 'true value' is early 4th. Something at least a little closer to the real spot would be nice. As it stand it seems like you should ignore the 'true value' metric completely.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan89
I really just don't understand it at this point, to be honest.

I hired the highest level scout that I could (lvl 23). When I scout people, as everyone knows, I am shown the current projected draft position, and then a true value once I complete scouting. What has me confused, is that true value seems like complete BS.

For example I had a top 5 pick and needed a WR. There was a WR projected as an 'early 1st round' pick. I completed my scouting and his 'True value' was listed as 'early first round' and it changed his little diamond green. I drafted him thinking it was safe based on his true value, and then it tells me it was a huge reach, and that he was the 53rd best player in the draft.

In the very same draft I scouted a QB projected as mid 4th round. After scouting him it said his true value was as a early 4th round pick. I selected him in the late third round, and he was an 84 overall QB, and was the 2nd best overall player in the entire draft.

Now, while it was exciting to select the QB and get a steal, what is the point in scouting for a players 'true value' if that is complete 100% BS. I mean, I'm not saying it needs to give the exact spot a player should be rated. But, if a player is the 53rd best player in the draft it shouldnt tell me the 'true value' is early first. If a player is the 2nd best player in the draft it shouldn't tell me that the 'true value' is early 4th. Something at least a little closer to the real spot would be nice. As it stand it seems like you should ignore the 'true value' metric completely.
Tom Brady's true draft value was a 6th or 7th round pick and he is the G.O.A.T. Just a friendly reminder. Same thing with RGIII his true draft was a top 2 pick and look at what he was. Also Jamarcus Russell the undisputed #1 rated prospect in that draft and was trash. Scouts screw up all the time with these values. Also seeing how scheme affects overall maybe the WR doesn't your scheme but the QB does. Just some thoughts.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Tom Brady's true draft value was a 6th or 7th round pick and he is the G.O.A.T. Just a friendly reminder. Same thing with RGIII his true draft was a top 2 pick and look at what he was. Also Jamarcus Russell the undisputed #1 rated prospect in that draft and was trash. Scouts screw up all the time with these values. Also seeing how scheme affects overall maybe the WR doesn't your scheme but the QB does. Just some thoughts.
Those are extreme outliers, not the norm. From my experience thus far in my five drafts, the outliers are the norm. It makes my scouting very unreliable. It almost seems like I am being intentionally being mislead. More often than not in the real NFL, early round picks are top players more frequently than late rounders.

Even if your examples above are the attempted goal behind it all, those results were realized after 1-2 years, not the day of the draft. It still would make more sense to have the top 5 bust be a beast early (lets say 82 overall with slow dev) and the 4th rounder be low early (lets say 74 overall with superstar dev). Justin Blackmon may be a bust now but his rookie year in Madden he wasnt 74 overall while some 4th rounder at the same position was 84. It isn't even a little realistic.

Also, the QB was a scrambling QB who did not fit my scheme in the slightest, and the WR was a perfect fit for my scheme.

Last edited by Gatorfan89; 09-07-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:35 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
In all fairness, RGIII looked like a number 2 overall draft pick his rookie season. It is only injuries that have derailed his career.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »