Home

So can we agree dynamic drive goals were not implemented well and must be overhauled?

This is a discussion on So can we agree dynamic drive goals were not implemented well and must be overhauled? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
So can we agree dynamic drive goals were not implemented well and must be overhauled?

They would be fine if they were a lot more generic. But as they exist, they encourage arbitrarily statpadding a random player's stats (throw a TD pass to your tight end, never mind he's been invisible and your RB has been shredding the opposition), or even worse, ask totally unreasonable things on defense (the "get an interception" goal is laughable considering how rare INT's are, and even worse this goal will appear MULTIPLE times throughout a game as if the game thinks you're playing as some super team).

What's really bad is how disconnected from actual football strategy they are. You could be executing a specific gameplan and the game suddenly tells you to do something out of left field. That's a bit disconcerting. And even worse, I think it'll be bad for players new to football-- instead of encouraging them to think intelligently about how to approach offense, it just has them forgoing all strategy and trying to randomly statpad some stats.

Sure, you could just ignore them for no penalty... except there is kind of a penalty. With the paltry way XP is distributed in CFM, hitting dynamic drive goals is actually one of the best ways to earn XP. Which means playing in a totally random and not strategic way is one of the best ways to get XP, definitely a bad thing.

My solution: on offense, scrap all goals like "pass it to X player, get X yards passing/rushing on the drive." Anything that forces you to play a specific way. Honestly the only goals should be things like "get X total yards of offense", "get 2 first downs", or "get a FG or TD".

And on defense, get rid of goals asking you to do rare things like get an INT or force a turnover. Goals about holding the opposition to under X yards, or prevent a touchdown, are the only ones that should count there, too.

I think this would solve everything. Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: So can we agree dynamic drive goals were not implemented well and must be overhau

First, I believe confidence was not implemented correctly.

I also believe, like you said, too many of the drives are very unrealistic and 1 player goal based. If you had drive goals you could accomplish as a team more often, it'd be a lot better.

CFM plays like a badly put together text/rpg sim. Bugs galore, features that are supposed to be finished products and play like they're in the beta phase. They have a lot of work to do to salvage this mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: So can we agree dynamic drive goals were not implemented well and must be overhau

It's like most good ideas that come from EA. They're usually better the second year.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
Rookie

sonsart2's Arena

OVR: 11

Better yet, eliminated altogether. Let's just call a bad idea, a bad idea.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsart2
I hate dynamic drive goals now. They were so close to ruin this awesome game. So close.

They even said that madden is so fragile in numbers and ratings that even small changes could have a big impact. How they implemented this feature so random and unbalance. why??? make no sense, not even sim person can think of drive goals as being good. awful.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsart2
I don't think the idea is inherently bad but the way they implemented it made it inherently bad.

If I get rewarded for playing good solid offense/defense, that's great. But I shouldn't have to play good solid offense/defense in a very specific way which randomly changes drive to drive.

Also, I think making it one of the best ways to earn XP was a mistake. Give me XP based on wins/losses and my overall stats, that's the whole endgame, not hitting some random in-game goals
Old 09-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #7
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadzier
I don't think the idea is inherently bad but the way they implemented it made it inherently bad.

If I get rewarded for playing good solid offense/defense, that's great. But I shouldn't have to play good solid offense/defense in a very specific way which randomly changes drive to drive.

Also, I think making it one of the best ways to earn XP was a mistake. Give me XP based on wins/losses and my overall stats, that's the whole endgame, not hitting some random in-game goals
You were already rewarded with the confidence. The problem is that the drive goals unbalance everyting and were to easy and well iīm mad i canīt even talk about drive goals
Old 09-11-2015, 05:00 PM   #8
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I've stated this plenty elsewhere, but I also dislike Dynamic Drive Goals as they are presently designed.

I don't think the feature is fundamentally hopeless and I do think the idea of rewarding players for their accomplishments on the field is a good one. However, the current design and implementation nullifies the challenge presented by Game Prep (because it awards too much confidence, so I can safely always use the XP-rewarding options in Game Prep), the goals presented in-game mostly ignore the current game state, and the logic of the goals often doesn't make sense (ex. allowing a long bomb passing TD triggering a completed drive goal because the user didn't allow X yards rushing on that drive).

It could benefit from some rethinking.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »