Home

Madden 16 - Assists

This is a discussion on Madden 16 - Assists within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Madden 16 - Assists

So, it started with the auto-dropback...

"Let us do that for you. Just read the D and look for your receiver."

Then, they started catching for us...

"Just hold the catch button whenever you feel like it. Let us do the rest."

Then, they started tackling for us...

"Just hold the tackle button and watch the defender run down the ball-carrier and bring him down."

Then, they started adjusting for us...

"If they call the same play, its effectiveness will go down. Also, we'll slide protect for you."

Now, they RC and jetpack for us too...

"Just throw with LB to access the jetpack and L trigger to access the RC."

So, what skills are left to learn? What is left for us to do?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Madden 16 - Assists

This is a bit of a oversimplification.

There's situational mastery to learn with the new catching system with the user having the option to choose between three types of catches, which is especially relevant if you include the various types of throws now available to the user when passing (lob / low / touch / bullet / lead). If you call the aggressive catch feature "rocket catching" (referencing the behavior from old Madden games), that's your prerogative, but there's nothing similar between that and the new system other than an athletic receiver jumping for the ball.

There's also still situational mastery to learn with the tackling mechanics with respect to timing, even moreso with the aggressive tackles which are more high-risk high-reward.

Finally, the game absolutely does not automatically trigger slide protection for the user on All-Pro difficulty. Further there's a Skills Trainer drill about slide protection which teaches the user how to execute the mechanic and provides general guidance about when he should consider using it.

The game is absolutely not playing itself and it is not at all designed to play itself. If it were, I'm sure the CPU v CPU crowd would have much less of a problem with the game than they currently do.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:59 AM   #3
Rookie

I really wish it were an oversimplification.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Val Events
Try to go out and play a madden god. A big name guy. You'll see what you need to learn, they'd whip the floor with us noobs. The guy above is right

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2015, 09:44 AM   #5
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Val Events

I just explained to you why it is. Feel free to tell me where I'm wrong.

If the assists really bother you that much - Ball Hawk, Auto Strafe, Defensive Assist, the context-sensitive control UI elements, etc. - you have to option to turn all of them off and/or ignore them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Madden it's self has become one of (if not the most) well know sports games.

With that comes avid Madden players and just the casual person that doesn't totally understand Madden mechanics, but loves football.

As CM mention, most of these assist can be turned off. Ever played without heat seeker? If not, try it sometime.

Another thing is that the catching and tackling mechanics are more so features implemented in the game to make the game more fluid. While it can use some TLC, i.e wrap tackles, the concept its self IS needed.

In the past, WRs would catch the ball and run out of bounds on out routes. Flat routes were basically pointless. RAC catch solves that.
On slants WRs would catch the ball and run right into a Linebacker. Now they can catch the ball and fall to prevent the hit.

In the past, it was hit stick (was OP), dive tackle (dove at air), or nothing. Now at least we can go for the sure tackle against a big back or on the one on one open field tackle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »