Home

Man + Zone?

This is a discussion on Man + Zone? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2015, 10:20 PM   #33
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Man + Zone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBreaker35
To address the original post: Teams don't do this in reality because defense isn't called like it is Madden. The emergence of pattern matching schemes causes it to appear as such after the pattern distribution. It begins as zone and ends in man coverage after the receivers have dictated their intentions.

What you are trying to do in Madden can work on a user if they it's a quick read progression or even if they aren't very good. I do this out of Cover 3 with the CF defender, but u must control the opposite side hook to control any crossing pattern to the vacated area.
Just trying to make sure I am understanding the pattern matching scheme; this is the Nick Saban concept of zone system?
Old 09-29-2015, 10:43 PM   #34
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Just trying to make sure I am understanding the pattern matching scheme; this is the Nick Saban concept of zone system?
Nick Saban is credited with its development if that's what you are asking. Every major football program uses pattern matching, so it's not really the 'Saban' way anymore however. The only differences are how coverage rules apply to specific situations and these can vary by team. For example, how a team plays the smash (High-Low) concept is sometimes different from team to team even out of the same coverage shell.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:59 PM   #35
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBreaker35
Nick Saban is credited with its development if that's what you are asking. Every major football program uses pattern matching, so it's not really the 'Saban' way anymore however. The only differences are how coverage rules apply to specific situations and these can vary by team. For example, how a team plays the smash (High-Low) concept is sometimes different from team to team even out of the same coverage shell.
Okay, cool..I understand how concepts vary by team..I used Saban as a basis for a general grounds on talking of the concept..but I see what you are saying now..49ers, I am aware of their smash concept..

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 09-29-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2015, 11:37 PM   #36
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

I sometimes run a half man/half zone coverage on defense.

I was messing around and would man align the corner on one side and if there was two receivers, I'd man align whoever was closest to him. I'd leave the rest of the field in zone and it worked surprisingly well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 09-30-2015, 04:30 AM   #37
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Okay, cool..I understand how concepts vary by team..I used Saban as a basis for a general grounds on talking of the concept..but I see what you are saying now..49ers, I am aware of their smash concept..
No, I mean how teams react to concepts defensively not how their team's run them offensively. Pattern Matching is a defensive coverage option. Tell you what...

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-s...g-pass-defense

That link offers a very simple explanation of what it is, and I hope you'll take the time to give it a look. It's application is more technical, but it will give you a greater understanding of what is going on on the field during pass plays.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:10 AM   #38
Rookie

Fours's Arena

Match coverage has come a long way since Sabans liz/rip, but that's a simple introduction for someone new to the concept.

Modern match is much less reactive, and does a better job of directing route combos away from their strength. If anyone is wondering why spot drop zones still exist, the unfortunate reality is that match coverage will always be a missed tackle away from a giving up a huge play, and it also can give the D tough match ups such as a 5'8 nickel back in man vs Megatron, etc..

So step 1 is finding four 6'2 CB's that can tackle.. lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »