Home

Anyone else when they face cover 2 have this problem...

This is a discussion on Anyone else when they face cover 2 have this problem... within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-28-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Anyone else when they face cover 2 have this problem...

It seems almost everytime I know my opponent is playing cover 2 hard zone I cant beat it with a verticals concept because the safety plays directly between the 2 streak/fade routes and even if one looks open the safety comes over in time to break it up everytime. Does anyone else have this problem...the safety should choose one or the other to follow am I right?

Last edited by dxyyz1; 10-28-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Re: Anyone else when they face cover 2 have this problem...

In a Cover 2 the safeties are responsible for their half of the field, so if you have 2 streaks on the same side, the safety responds to the direction of the ball, and in a zone will generally not commit to one receiver but play between both receivers..

This is how I have seen it in game..But this is my perspective only.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
Rookie

SpyPirates's Arena

I may be wrong, but here's my take:

There are two types of vertical route concepts, at least in madden.

One, you'll have four guys streaking: your WR1 and WR2 on the outsides, and the TE & WR3 running straight lines from their respective positions on the line & in the slot. This may be the one you're having a problem with, since the safety can pretty easily get between the routes, as you mentioned.

The second is usually when there are trips to one side, where the two outside trips WR run streaks, while the third guy in your trips formation closest to the QB runs a bent streak route toward the middle of the field. The other WR on the other side also runs a streak. I think this route combo could better counter cover 2, since the safety on the trips side will have to follow the 2 WR who are in his zone, while the safety on the other side will already have run down the field to cover the non-trips WR before he realizes the slot has cut into the middle of the field on his route.

Either way, I think you should have the advantage on the play, because worst case scenario, you've got a WR in a jump ball against a safety, but if you can get a verticals concept where there is a guy bending his route to the middle, you may have more success against cover 2.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyPirates
I may be wrong, but here's my take:

There are two types of vertical route concepts, at least in madden.

One, you'll have four guys streaking: your WR1 and WR2 on the outsides, and the TE & WR3 running straight lines from their respective positions on the line & in the slot. This may be the one you're having a problem with, since the safety can pretty easily get between the routes, as you mentioned.

The second is usually when there are trips to one side, where the two outside trips WR run streaks, while the third guy in your trips formation closest to the QB runs a bent streak route toward the middle of the field. The other WR on the other side also runs a streak. I think this route combo could better counter cover 2, since the safety on the trips side will have to follow the 2 WR who are in his zone, while the safety on the other side will already have run down the field to cover the non-trips WR before he realizes the slot has cut into the middle of the field on his route.

Either way, I think you should have the advantage on the play, because worst case scenario, you've got a WR in a jump ball against a safety, but if you can get a verticals concept where there is a guy bending his route to the middle, you may have more success against cover 2.
I have tried out plays that had the bend to the middle route but those usually ended up bringing a linebacker/2nd db into the equation
Old 10-28-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
Rookie

SpyPirates's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxyyz1
I have tried out plays that had the bend to the middle route but those usually ended up bringing a linebacker/2nd db into the equation
Hmm have you tried the check down in that case? Not the big play you're looking for, but if they abandon their intermediate zone to chase a receiver down field, maybe that's open for 10 yards.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Yeah running 4 verts out of a trips formation usually works better.

You can still run it out of a 2x2 set though, but aim to hit the outside receiver down the sideline. The hope is that the inside streak will do just enough to hold the safety for the sideline to become open. I don't particularly like this because of two things: 1. You have to hold on to the ball longer than ideal, and 2. the deep sideline is harder to complete. Accuracy rating is much more of a factor.

Besides 4 verticals I like attacking cover 2 with smash out of a trips formation. You can hit the corner or inside streak fairly consistently but there is a catch -- If I am in cover 2 and see trips I automatically come out of it. ALL THE TIME. I suspect that I am not alone in this thinking.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Yeah running 4 verts out of a trips formation usually works better.

You can still run it out of a 2x2 set though, but aim to hit the outside receiver down the sideline. The hope is that the inside streak will do just enough to hold the safety for the sideline to become open. I don't particularly like this because of two things: 1. You have to hold on to the ball longer than ideal, and 2. the deep sideline is harder to complete. Accuracy rating is much more of a factor.

Besides 4 verticals I like attacking cover 2 with smash out of a trips formation. You can hit the corner or inside streak fairly consistently but there is a catch -- If I am in cover 2 and see trips I automatically come out of it. ALL THE TIME. I suspect that I am not alone in this thinking.
I personally like using sets with multiple te's so I never have a problem with man press (tight ends never get bumped). I usually use this 3x1 formation with the te's and going verticals against a hard cover 2 still doesnt work for me so I think I've come to the conclusion that in Madden you need someone fast running the seam route (which will be my ladarius green/jared cook) and a possesion/slow reciever to hit down the sideline which will create more space to actually beat cover 2 deep since the safety just backpedals between the 2 routes so perfectly every time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »