Home

Getting the 46 to work in Madden

This is a discussion on Getting the 46 to work in Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Getting the 46 to work in Madden

I've been experimenting with the 46 defense in practice mode in an attempt to make it my base defense in CFM, but I've been failing miserably.

I'm wondering if folks could offer some pointers, but I'm not interested at all in developing nanos from it or in learning how to glitch the game. I want real, sound, football stuff.

One issue I'm having is related to coverage. When I come out in the bear front, for example, the base alignment is totally messed up. The SS will be on the offense's weak side but will have his man assignment being the TE on the strong side, virtually assuring that the SS can't make his coverage assignment. And doing "man align" doesn't work. I have this issue in multiple formations in the 46 playbook, and the game doesn't really give you the time to move everyone around manually to get them lined up with their receivers in man coverage.

Another issue I have is gap control. Several plays in the 46 have the DL on one side fanning out, creating really weird gaps for the offense to exploit at the LOS. I have no idea why the plays, particularly the big nickel plays, have this odd DL routing issue, and I'm not sure how to set up any of my 46 formations so that I have decent gap coverage to stop run plays.

Any thoughts? Any general tips on building a sim scheme for both run and pass out of the 46?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
Rookie

BB_Dynasty's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Getting the 46 to work in Madden

Wish I could help. The 46 has been my base defense for a few years, but I cannot use it in this Madden for all the reasons you just pointed out. It's frustrating.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #3
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Put your strong safety on the zero gap, blitz him, which would be the center...about 4 yards off the LOS..

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 11-03-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
Pro

When the safety is man coverage on the te opposite the line try using the flip play audible. I have had some success doing this but it depends on the formation and personnel of the offense you're defending.

Also more then any game previous, you must use your pre snap adjustments. Calling for underneath coverage on passing plays will help immensely.

Seems to me the browns use this scheme often, try looking at the play book they use as they have a tough defense to pass against.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
Rookie

I use this defense occasionally when the cpu comes out in heavy formations or 2 Rb, 2 Wr sets.

I usually shift the defense to whatever side seems unbalanced and user the SS.

I like it, but everything I've read about it seems to say it went out of favor when NFL teams went pass heavy. For that reason, I never run it against 3-4 WR sets.

I've also thought about running this all the time, but don't trust it enough. I'd love hearing about your exploits though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2015, 09:55 PM   #6
All Star

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

I admire you for trying to get the 46 to work as your base defense but my advice? Don't.

It doesn't work well with Madden, but even if it did and there were no alignment issues, it would not be effective. The tight ends of today are very different from the ones that played in the early to mid eighties.

Cam said you could flip the play to get the SS properly aligned, and this is true. But in doing so you would be removing the benefit of the 46. So why run it to begin with?
What happens if you flip this? Hint: Your run support will not be as good.

I think you would be better off running a 4-3 single high safety defense.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:40 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I admire you for trying to get the 46 to work as your base defense but my advice? Don't.

It doesn't work well with Madden, but even if it did and there were no alignment issues, it would not be effective. The tight ends of today are very different from the ones that played in the early to mid eighties.

Cam said you could flip the play to get the SS properly aligned, and this is true. But in doing so you would be removing the benefit of the 46. So why run it to begin with?
What happens if you flip this? Hint: Your run support will not be as good.

I think you would be better off running a 4-3 single high safety defense.
This is what I have come to.

It's in the game as a defense, but it's not in the game correctly and it's not an effective base for multiple WR sets, even in the case of the big nickel or whatever that formation is called. It feels like a very incomplete playbook in terms of execution, so perhaps they should just take it out.

Thinking about the 46 issues puts in mind just how bad Madden is at gap assignments, which is the absolute foundation of the NFL running game and run defense. I really wish they would tune the game so that gap control was properly done.

In any case, thanks for the advice, ggsimmonds. I have come to agree, though not without some chagrin. The Seattle single-high press scheme tends to work much better in this game than the 46, so that is a viable option if I want to blend some 34 and 43 principles while putting a safety in the box regularly.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #8
All Star

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

It is one of Madden's biggest flaws. It has a game mode that advertises itself as allowing the user to be an NFL coach, yet the user cannot create their own scheme or run a defense/offense if that scheme is not in use by a current NFL team.

True that the 46 probably wouldn't be effective in today's NFL, but the game doesn't even allow us to properly try.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »