Home

A change to Madden ratings may be coming

This is a discussion on A change to Madden ratings may be coming within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21
A change to Madden ratings may be coming

http://www.pastapadre.com/2015/11/16...ming-next-year
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: A change to Madden ratings may be coming

"it's something I'm trying for next year, I dont think you can argue with any of our 99 ovr players tho"

This screams double talk to me. The ratings probably won't change.

I don't know the 99s off the top of my head, but I am sure I can argue with most of them.

The article is right about Madden being quick to boost player's overall but hesitant to lower them by too much. That has always been a problem.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

What I would like to know is who nixed Donny Moore's original plan? Gameplay guys or some suit? Or even the NFL
Old 11-16-2015, 05:39 PM   #4
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

Also why is Madden the only sports game that seems to be notorious to give way to many players 99's and just 90+ ratings in general. Another case of Madden not willing to change when it's needed.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:45 PM   #5
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I don't know the 99s off the top of my head, but I am sure I can argue with most of them.
I bet I can argue with all of them.

What is really disturbing is that the NBA required 2K to change their ratings because they didn't want the "perception" of the league having "bad" players. If the same is going on at EA, we will never get ratings that stick to a realistic attribute and OVR distribution. Even when you present them with data to justify said distribution, the league could always come in and tell you to change it.

That being said, I firmly believe, as PastaPadre asserts at the end of this article, that lowering the ratings and changing the distribution does make the game better and more realistic. However, they can't just universally lower everyone for the sake of lowering everyone in the game. They MUST refer to data that supports the change. At this time, it seems like EA is throwing the proverbial spaghetti at the wall, hoping for it to stick.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1

JJ Watt the best DL but not 99
Sherman, proven falable this year, not a 99
von miller, no way he is a 99 olb
wagner, 99 mlb not

ive got np rating beings based off Football Focus(?) or whatever that place NFL Redzone talk about

they can still be the best, just not with 99
Old 11-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #7
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0

Things will never change, the ratings have become a vital marketing tool for EA. That is why they nixed Donny's plans. The all important casual gamers love to brag that their favorite team has X players rated above 90. Just visit any of the forums that discuss Madden (besides hardcore forums like this one), you will dozens of posts complaining about their favorite players/team not being rated high enough. I wouldn't mind the high ratings if there some separation between players at the same position. Personally I could care less about the actual rating, I care about how they play.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:29 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
Personally I could care less about the actual rating, I care about HOW THEY PLAY.
This would require discussing/building a foundation that makes "Animations" differ for players on different levels.

Right now every player can/will animate without regard to any type of talent level differentiation.

The second issue, which is greater problem, is how can/do they incorporate the Human element which oftentimes will circumvent the predefined rating/animation differentiation that may be established.

The AI can be programmed to follow the rules of differentiation, but I think we can agree that there would be a lot of gamers deeming the game broke or full of bugs if they couldn't make a lower skilled player play like an All-Pro.

I'm with you, I can care less about whatever they use if most of the "Gameplay" elements continue to remain so predefined, dated and restrictive.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »