Home

Ridiculous Catches ruin this game

This is a discussion on Ridiculous Catches ruin this game within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2015, 09:50 AM   #49
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Ridiculous Catches ruin this game

Turn off Ball Hawk and your problems should be solved regarding the "ridiculous catches".
Old 12-19-2015, 12:50 PM   #50
Rookie

Shizz420's Arena

OVR: 3

Every "contested" catch is a Tyree or Beckham style catch it seems. ALso the fact they took away the "swipe" button on defense means when I press the button to defend the catch, the animation to defend the pass is chosen by the computer, and not by the player. The player should have the choice to either swipe it away (conservative) or to try and catch/take the ball from the defender (aggressive).
Old 12-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #51
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
I honestly feel like the bigger problem is still deep balls being thrown on the money too often. If a ball is perfectly thrown where the WR is always in the best position to go up and high point it, they are gonna go up and get them more often than not in real life. One of the problems with accuracy in this game is it seems to be all or nothing. The QB either misses the throw by 5 yards or puts it right on the money, there needs to be more slight underthrows, slight overthrows, slightly off target inside outside, enabling more situations for a wider variety of DB/WR interaction outcomes to trigger. There needs to be more variation in ball placement and DBs, regardless, definitely need to play the ball better.

The whole "play ball, play man" mechanic needs to be scrapped, DBs need to play organically and realistically. If a DB has the aggressive play ball trait that shouldn't mean he gets stuck in a catch animation on a ball he has no business trying to catch and because he does so he gets beat for a 60 yard TD, that just isn't realistic.

Basically, I think they need to change why outcomes are happening. I almost feel like at the moment its too convoluted
I fully agree with the first part of your post regarding the all or nothing nature of accuracy. There needs to be more variation and more passes with less than ideal accuracy where a elite athletic WR can make the play while most WR cannot. And DB play still needs to be improved greatly.

I disagree on your stance regarding play ball/man. That actually is realistic and should stay. However it does need real improvement, not just more variety in animations.

There are many CBs who really struggle at locating the ball and they always play the man. This leads to many PI calls. Conversely there are many corners who tend to always try for the game changing int when they have no business doing so. This is in direct opposition to your comment about getting beat for a 60 yard TD. It does happen and it is realistic.

So what I think should change is instead of a dichotomous yes/no for traits, they should be a numerical scale that is modified by other ratings (awareness probably). I agree that it should not be as simple as "well he has x trait so that means he will do this...," but the current mechanic is not convoluted. It would actually benefit from more complexity.

Maybe it would be better to scrap the "traits" and go to a "locate ball" rating. That rating used in conjunction with awareness could result in the more organic feel you cited. Locate ball is their ability to play the ball, awareness (or something else) would be their ability in deciding how to play the pass.

It could lead to the following scenarios:

high ball locate, low awareness: maybe go for pics more often, maybe seem to be random. Tries to play ball when he should not (jump ball with megatron? great idea)

low ball locate, high awareness: Few PI penalties, excellent at playing receiver but will still misplay some balls.

high locate, high awareness: Excellent at locating the ball but is also able to judge the tactical situation and how to protect against the pass.

low locate, low awareness: The kid is lost out there lol

I still think there should also be a new "aggression" rating. Aggressive corners try for the int more.

I think there will always be a problem with user control though.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »