Home

When will we get and who desires a more realistic depth chat

This is a discussion on When will we get and who desires a more realistic depth chat within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-05-2015, 02:13 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
When will we get and who desires a more realistic depth chart

I've always been one of those people who would like the option to designate players as the Will/Sam, Strong Side/Weak side end, Nickle corner(not just corner #3), Slot receiver(Not just WR #3) and ect.

Also to coincide with this actually have the defenses line up to strong side and weak side like if your running a 4-3 over have the strong side players line up against the Tight End.

Last edited by guineapig71; 12-05-2015 at 03:10 PM. Reason: typo in title
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: When will we get and who desires a more realistic depth chat

It's unacceptable, imo, that we can't set our special teams units. The depth chart, in general, as it currently is just does doesn't come close to being enough.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Worse still, is the "logic" that the CPU controlled teams use in CFM...

In no particular order:

1) Wrong player at 3rd down back, more often than not

2) MLB's as back DTs

3) Speed Backs often turn up as backup FBs

4) OLBs as DEs and DEs as OLBs in the wrong schemes

5) Starters at Long Snapper

6) Often "Starting" FA level players on the OL, when better options remain on the bench

7) Etc.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 20

... and we haven't even mentioned yet the egregious nonsense of how ROLB/LOLB and RE/LE, etc. are still official position designations. Real teams haven't been using those for like 20 years. Real rosters list players as DB, OL, DL, LB, etc. It's like the game is always trying to force the issue with players playing "out of position" when that really isn't how it works. Plenty of guys can play plenty of positions. Stop pigeonholing them, EA.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
... and we haven't even mentioned yet the egregious nonsense of how ROLB/LOLB and RE/LE, etc. are still official position designations. Real teams haven't been using those for like 20 years. Real rosters list players as DB, OL, DL, LB, etc. It's like the game is always trying to force the issue with players playing "out of position" when that really isn't how it works. Plenty of guys can play plenty of positions. Stop pigeonholing them, EA.
I really wish they would go with those broader designations.

Let me decide where a particular DB plays in my scheme on the basis of my scheme and his skill set.

And let me decide to use an offensive player on defense or a defensive player on offense if I feel talent, scheme, and strategy suggest it wise to do so.

I think much of this is hampered by the simple fact of online play.

Since they do differentiate between online and offline modes, please give offline players maximum flexibility. You can put all the rules you want for online players so they don't cheese your game, but for the offline player who wants to create his or her own experience as he or she sees fit, please enable that!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

I really hope we get more realistic depth charts, but I don't think we will any time soon.

Aside from the most cited LB positions like Sam and Will, they should do away with WR 1, 2, etc. Give us x,y,z
The plays follow this naming convention.

Then somewhere (scheme settings, playcall screen, presnap) there should be a control hat toggles the mirroring of offenses. Ideally it should be under the scheme screen and it should have options for each position group.

LB mirror: Whether or not the Sam LB always lines up strongside
DT mirror: If you use a 3 tech you can set him to always play a certain side
DE mirror: toggle to keep best pass rusher on weakside
CB mirror: This is defensive assignment basically. Toggle to determine if #1 corner always follows #1 WR

I think Madden could revolutionize the way defense is handled by making changes like this.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #7
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

I don't think they'll arbitrarily change the terminology, and ditch WR1, WR2, etc but could see them supplementing the depth chart slots with some of that data. Isn't x, y, z playbook related anyways? What NFL team's depth chart lists their 1-3 x, y and z receivers? Special teams probably would be addressed in that way too, at the playbook level rather than supplemental depth chart positions that might not even exist today, or do they? We have what we have now in part because here is what NFL rosters look like: http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/depth-chart

Honestly, I think some of this stuff will be addressed in the next year or two, with how this team is tackling things. The next real deep dive into franchise has to hit on rosters and contracts for sure.

Last edited by mestevo; 12-05-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I don't think they'll arbitrarily change the terminology, and ditch WR1, WR2, etc but could see them supplementing the depth chart slots with some of that data. Isn't x, y, z playbook related anyways? What NFL team's depth chart lists their 1-3 x, y and z receivers? Special teams probably would be addressed in that way too, at the playbook level rather than supplemental depth chart positions that might not even exist today, or do they? We have what we have now in part because here is what NFL rosters look like: http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/depth-chart

Honestly, I think some of this stuff will be addressed in the next year or two, with how this team is tackling things. The next real deep dive into franchise has to hit on rosters and contracts for sure.
This is why I really want them to greatly expand on the scheme feature. "Attacking 4-3" is inefficient. I would like for them to drastically change the defense.

Under scheme there could be something like the following for defense:

Base:
Choose the front: 4-3, 3-4, exotic/misc choices (think TCU 3-3-5 and the like).
Coverage: Single high, two deep, etc
Options for alignment: under/over shifts
Type: Options pertaining to man or zone

Philosophy:
Movement: Controls the presnap movement. Options would be none, manual, 5 seconds, 7 seconds, etc. So lets say you call a zero blitz out of a 4-3 look. If movement is set to manual your defense will come out in their base look. You then press the trigger and this causes the defenders to move into position. None would mean they come out of the huddle showing blitz, the time options would tell the defense when during the playclock to move.

Press: on/off. Basically something of a default stance.

Mirroring: All the mirror options from above.

Matching: auto/passing situations, manual, always. Controls behavior when it comes to 3 WR sets and other subs the offense may make. More of an AI/coach suggestions control.

Packages: Think formation subs here.

There should also be options detailing whether LBs in man coverage add to the blitz, spy, or drop into hook.

So for my preferred defense my base defense would be a 4-3 under shift single high man defense (apologies to Pete Carroll). I think this method is more realistic because everything would be derived from a base defense.

Yeah it would be very complex but guys can leave everything set to the team defaults if they wish. But allow guys like me to have total control over what our defense is. One of the options in franchise is to be a coach. Well then actually give us the option to be a coach then.

Then improve custom playbooks and reintroduce create a play so users can truly create their own schemes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »