Home

Madden 16 Running game

This is a discussion on Madden 16 Running game within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Madden 16 Running game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
Most of the Top Ranked Madden players are also using the same two runs (Inside zone out of the shotgun offset sets and HB Toss out of Strong Close), two runs in which turbo is more helpful (especially the inside zone when people immediately cut it back and turn it in to a manual counter run).
Can you please tell me which playbooks have the inside zone from a shotgun offest? Any example would be great so I could study it. Only nine playbooks have the strong close formation.

Which playbooks do the ranked players use? What would you personally recommend(especially for use against the AI)?

This link has all the offensive playbooks and the formations they contain
http://www.muthead.com/forums/madden...s-w-formations

Last edited by hellblazer; 01-04-2016 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 01-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #18
Rookie

Rysumm's Arena

OVR: 1

Thanks again for all the comments guys! So I've been practicing and I mainly play H2H online. So by accident I allowed the AI to just control my RB from start to finish. I noticed the AI made better hole reads, follow blocks and make jukes than I could. So I started playing around with this. I tried several different plays and every time the AI made better reads than I did. The only thing I would do to control the back, is if I saw a huge hole I would use the speed burst (R2). So My first online game using this method I ran for 127yrds. I normally average 45yrds.

So doing less is more apparently in Madden 16. I've never trusted the AI to control any player in Madden before. This year I can honestly say that the AI is improved, the RB performs 10 times better. Allowing the AI to at least control the back from hand off, to 3-5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage has helped tremendously. So hands off the sticks is my method now.

Now I would imagine the lower rated RB's with less awareness etc.. may not perform as well. I use Jamaal Charles so that could also be a reason why the AI play is better. Perhaps lower awareness backs wont make the same reads.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 5

I'm still getting used to the running game myself, it seems like when I try to do a subtle cut back, my back will reverse field and I get tackled for a loss. I am, however, bad at holding the sprint button the second I get the handoff. The other thing that I noticed as well, is just being patient with the running game in general. Just because you may only have 2 or 3ypc in the first quarter or two, do not give up. Keep pounding the ball if your able to and eventually by the fourth quarter you will be busting five to ten yard runs on a tired defense. This does become dependent on how much you keep their defense on the field. If your opponent is dominating the time of possession, their defense is less likely to get tired out.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysumm
So doing less is more apparently in Madden 16. I've never trusted the AI to control any player in Madden before. This year I can honestly say that the AI is improved, the RB performs 10 times better. Allowing the AI to at least control the back from hand off, to 3-5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage has helped tremendously. So hands off the sticks is my method now.
Im in the same boat but I play against the ai so the stakes are smaller so I can control my HB not as well as the AI can and get away with it.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:09 PM   #21
Think Different

onetonmartin's Arena

OVR: 9

I became obsessed with the "Carries over 20 yards" stat. At first I was frustrated gaining only 1-2 per season with Todd Freakin' Gurley. Now I'm at around 7-10 per season and getting better. Most of these are breakaways of 40-80 yds. I rarely gain just 20-25 yard runs for some reason.

For me a few tricks helped.. (Most probably already mentioned) (I only play CFM All-Madden)

1. Get through the 1st level, then look for some way to double juke to the outside. As soon as you pass the D-Line, snap R, then L on the left stick. (If going to the left)

2. Go REALLY slow and let the runner's CPU moves set in as you make impact with defenders. For some reason this triggers a lot of great combinations I never intend, then I end up in the open field.

3. Toss and stretch plays. Sometimes you end up with the perfect combo of defensive positioning and offensive blocking. I love these. I usually end up cutting inside a block and running down the middle of the field. Look for stray blockers coming off their original blocks to come and help. Sometimes you can cut back off of their new blocks.

4. Double-juking off of zone and stretch plays to the outside. Get parallel to the LOS, look for a hole, then double juke. These are fun because you get some kind of built-in speed burst. Sometimes you'll lose 3-5 yards, other times you are off to the races.

Last edited by onetonmartin; 01-04-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2016, 05:14 PM   #22
Think Different

onetonmartin's Arena

OVR: 9

For Consistent yardage... I like the zone plays out of Shotgun formations.

Look at where the LBs are and observe which of your linemen have nobody over them. Hand the ball off to your RB, but go slow. Try to slowly float your RB and gauge where the LB(s) are headed and if your linemen are getting helmets on them. Once you have a feel, make a light move into the hole and attempt to change direction to avoid defenders. Juking rarely works for me unless it's a double-juke to outside. It's all slow-steering. I like to look outside-in, but stay within the tackles. I rarely break these to the outside. Sometimes it's best to have your TE on the opposite side you're running so they defender can't crash your play. Other times it's fun to sub in a LT for a TE and put him on play side.

My favorite types of RBs for this, I call "Pickers". They're usually 5'10-6'0, with great slow/start, left/right, BCV control. If you can find a good one, they don't need good moves or speed because they can make people miss enough and "pick" through holes to move the chains.

One thing I find frustrating is how some RBs have a built-in ability to level defenders on the way into the end zone. Latavius Murray is amazing at this, but Todd Gurley gets leveled so often near the goal line and in short yardage.

It's sad to say it, but I use Todd Gurley as my main RB, then a drafted 5'10 185 pound RB as my goal line RB. The little guy has some secret trait to dominate in short yardage.

Last edited by onetonmartin; 01-04-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:36 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 0

Good tips.

What about using max. protect for all run/pass plays ?
Improves OL and FB logic ?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2016, 07:37 AM   #24
Rookie

BB_Dynasty's Arena

OVR: 0

I've seen this complaint a ton and I actually run better in this madden then any of the past maddens lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »