Home

Madden in Court for the same issue as NCAA football

This is a discussion on Madden in Court for the same issue as NCAA football within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Madden in Court for the same issue as NCAA football

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I am growing tired of the whole litigation mindset our society has. It is as if people actively look for things they can file a lawsuit over.
+1 a million times

http://www.twitch.tv/purecokain/profile - Streams

-The Hate Made Me Famous-
Old 01-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
This is kind of baffling to me. I have Madden 08 for the PC, and a great number, if not all, of the historical players are not named at all and misnumbered. It's been awhile since I've used a historical team, but I think Brett Favre is #5 for example. I thought EA purposely avoided exact likenesses to avoid something such as this.
Nate I think it's more about having Jim Brown's, number, hometown, home state, handedness, height, weight. If all of that is there but he is 33 instead of 32 that's still Jim Brown.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:57 PM   #11
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
I am growing tired of the whole litigation mindset our society has. It is as if people actively look for things they can file a lawsuit over.
These companies are using a real players likeness to make their game. It shouldn't surprise EA that a player like Jim Brown would expect to be paid if they put a player on the all browns team that has his number, ratings, appearance, etc in a football game.

The irony is that EA paid a fortune for the rights to nfl players and logos. If another company released a football game with the 32 NFL cities, basic player likenesses for each team so the Green Bay team has a qb with Aaron Rodgers ratings, etc. EA would have a lawsuit filed on the day it released.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2016, 10:06 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
These companies are using a real players likeness to make their game. It shouldn't surprise EA that a player like Jim Brown would expect to be paid if they put a player on the all browns team that has his number, ratings, appearance, etc in a football game.

The irony is that EA paid a fortune for the rights to nfl players and logos. If another company released a football game with the 32 NFL cities, basic player likenesses for each team so the Green Bay team has a qb with Aaron Rodgers ratings, etc. EA would have a lawsuit filed on the day it released.
Aaron Rodger's ratings? What? Is that like a social security number or something?
Old 01-09-2016, 10:33 PM   #13
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

Quote:
Aaron Rodger's ratings? What? Is that like a social security number or something?
It's basically his property yes. If the guy plays for Wisconsin or green bay, wears number 12, went to California, is one of the top qbs in the game, etc. Then the developers are profiting from a character meant to be Aaron Rodgers and have to pay him.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:39 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
It's basically his property yes. If the guy plays for Wisconsin or green bay, wears number 12, went to California, is one of the top qbs in the game, etc. Then the developers are profiting from a character meant to be Aaron Rodgers and have to pay him.
No, things like 96 THP, 88 MAC, 77 acc are not his property.

Maybe things like jersey number, college, height/weight but not his ratings.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:21 PM   #15
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

Quote:
No, things like 96 THP, 88 MAC, 77 acc are not his property.

Maybe things like jersey number, college, height/weight but not his ratings.
His ratings are the most important. Rodgers would have a better case for a lawsuit from a game if the character plays similar to him than if he was was wearing no. 12 and had Tim Tebow's ratings.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2016, 12:43 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
His ratings are the most important. Rodgers would have a better case for a lawsuit from a game if the character plays similar to him than if he was was wearing no. 12 and had Tim Tebow's ratings.
His ratings are certainly not most important. What is most important is his physical likeness and EA's made up ratings are not part of that.

However, as there is no precedent for this *as far as I know), maybe it could go either way. My thinking is that if the court rules against EA it will be due to the biological attributes instead of ratings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »