Home

Spectacular Catch and CPU

This is a discussion on Spectacular Catch and CPU within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-16-2016, 05:00 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Spectacular Catch and CPU

Is this just a thing players have to deal with now in Madden? I decided to give Madden a chance after a 3 year hiatus and clearly there is new cheese for CPU this year. Unstoppable catches, especially on 3rd and long. Is there anyway to stop the cpu in 2 minute drill?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2016, 10:10 PM   #2
Rookie

SpyPirates's Arena

Re: Spectacular Catch and CPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBartender
Is this just a thing players have to deal with now in Madden? I decided to give Madden a chance after a 3 year hiatus and clearly there is new cheese for CPU this year. Unstoppable catches, especially on 3rd and long. Is there anyway to stop the cpu in 2 minute drill?
There's not much you can do. The CPU's clock management isn't great, so sometimes they'll **** up with under 20 seconds left by throwing in bounds, but the best way to stop the 2 minute drill is to not give them the ball in that situation.

3rd and long I've gotten a little better at defending by accepting that they'll get at least 12 yards every play. just drop 8 into coverage, man up 3 deep or cover 4 (and hot route the LB to play deep)
Old 02-17-2016, 04:51 AM   #3
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Quote:
Don't run the same defence over and over, mix it up, disguise coverage's, if it's a 50/50 ball DON'T use catch (triangle/Y) unless you are clearly going to intercept it as you are not on the defenders hip, use pass break up (X/A) instead. If you are getting beat with the long ball, signal DB's to set coverage over the top instead of normal/underneath. Mix up your pass rush as pressure throws off accuracy.

I play A&S sliders on all-pro and sometimes all madden (all-pro I get huge blowouts vs weak teams) and can hold an elite QB under 300yards with 15min Q, runoff 16sec.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude
Don't run the same defence over and over, mix it up, disguise coverage's, if it's a 50/50 ball DON'T use catch (triangle/Y) unless you are clearly going to intercept it as you are not on the defenders hip, use pass break up (X/A) instead. If you are getting beat with the long ball, signal DB's to set coverage over the top instead of normal/underneath. Mix up your pass rush as pressure throws off accuracy.

I play A&S sliders on all-pro and sometimes all madden (all-pro I get huge blowouts vs weak teams) and can hold an elite QB under 300yards with 15min Q, runoff 16sec.
I've been using triangle (ps4) and not setting coverage to over the top. Thanks, will keep that in mind when playing.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Quote:
I've been using triangle (ps4) and not setting coverage to over the top. Thanks, will keep that in mind when playing.
Yeah, going for the interception is awful against the spectacular catch, I go for the INT if I am playing zone as usually my player is already in position and can move towards the ball to high point it. You will get burned by slants, curls, drags and short routes if playing "over the top", if playing against a west coast style QB with low arm strength you can get away with normal or setting "underneath". Underneath can generate more INT's, especially in Cover 2 flat zones with your CB or hook zones with CB's and LB's. Your safeties will get burned deep playing underneath on the deep ball so watch out!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #6
Banned

Hmmmm. I thought the spec catches were a big problem before the patches as basically everything was long and one-handed, it was just nonsense. But post-patches I don't see them even remotely as frequently, I also find that the ratio of catches to drops and catches to deflections/breakups is fair post-patches. I'm playing on All-Pro btw, not sure what it's like on All-Madden.

That being said, if you're going triangle all the time, you're going to get burned a lot. That approach is basically going for broke and playing for the INT only. It should yield you less good results. You'll get better results by defending the receiver and going for a deflection.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_isBringingSexyBack
Hmmmm. I thought the spec catches were a big problem before the patches as basically everything was long and one-handed, it was just nonsense. But post-patches I don't see them even remotely as frequently, I also find that the ratio of catches to drops and catches to deflections/breakups is fair post-patches. I'm playing on All-Pro btw, not sure what it's like on All-Madden.

That being said, if you're going triangle all the time, you're going to get burned a lot. That approach is basically going for broke and playing for the INT only. It should yield you less good results. You'll get better results by defending the receiver and going for a deflection.
No this computer spectacular catch thing is real. Its a issue, just confirmed with my last game played. 3 3rd and longs converted, 3rd and 21 was converted, 3rd and 6 was converted, and then another 3rd and 21 from the 50 yard line was converted for a catch and touchdown, the players arm went through my safety's body for the one handed catch. This was all one epic game winning drive. Each catch had a defender right on them except the first catch which the QB converted by scrambling to his right within 1 yard of the out of bounds line and threw it back across his body for a lazer accurate 32 yard catch in between 2 guys. Give me a break. The computer was doing this all day, I even switched to over coverage and had no effect. I've sacked the QB 7 times but he still is not shaken. Back to the shelf you go Madden and Im sorry I spent the 60 bucks trying to give it another chance. Every game its ridiculous 3rd and long with insane athletic catches no matter who the receiver is. Just wow EA and Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »