Home

The Broncos' Defense Dominated Super Bowl 50, But Can't in Madden

This is a discussion on The Broncos' Defense Dominated Super Bowl 50, But Can't in Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #41
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: The Broncos' Defense Dominated Super Bowl 50, But Can't in Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnaidt1
Amazing read!! I am so excited to see articles like this point out maddens massive head scratchers as to why features and mechanics from games 8 years and older arent being utilized....

the fact of the matter, you look at the size of madden games..checking in around 26 gigabytes...and its very lackluster in what it offers...

and then you see nba 2k16 check in at over 50 gigabytes...

11 on 11 is 26 gigs...but 5 on 5 is double the size?

and look how feature and mechanic rich 2k is..

kinda tells ya the difference between each company..

I wish that soon articles like this start being reflected in the games score you give them...because like you said at the end...if madden keeps going in this trend it will be a game you watch not play...yet OS's score for the game encourages people that its a solid product worth playing,

I agree with your write up 100% I just think more needs to be done Initially in your reviews of games to stay consistent...if Madden is leaving enough to be desired to not want to play, a review score should indicate that as well for us users who make purchasing decisions heavily based off what OS writers have to say about it.
There is zero correlation to how big an install is, to quality of game. Zero.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridiron
Great article.

If the whole media woulda been doing this for the past decade maybe things would be different, but this site still gives Madden higher scores than it deserves practically every season so it doesnt help.

Next we could use one for all the little things missing in this joint. You could have a 10 part series on that one!

Only thing Imma say about the defense though, is the AI needs to be able to catch on to a user calling the same play and all that, I agree, but the defense cant be OP like 15 had it. That was straight garbage. It can be balanced somehow.
I'm definitely tired of the AI not being able to adjust to USERs calling the same play over and over. We shouldn't have to go through another year of that issue not being addressed.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 5

A fix to that could be another play call window showing what plays the offense (and defense) frequently calls in that down and distance and part of the field.

There was a feature a couple years ago that let the offense see the defensive play after they broke the huddle. I think it was based on QB ratings because when I used the Patriots I could see the coverages and who was blitzing pre-snap.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #44
All-Pro

ATLBrayden's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
As someone who has worked in games, I promise you this really doesn't matter. If you want to make the argument that other games have more content, you don't need to go to disc size to make it. Just compare features and all the stuff that's actually in the game and that's a good enough argument, you know? Saying Game X has more GBs in it proves nothing and never will prove anything, and it doesn't need to because you can judge a game on what's in it anyway.

EA could compress their audio files a different way. EA may just have fewer cutscenes in their game -- and compresses video files a different way as well. EA might compress textures a different way. EA may just have people on the tech side who strive to make the discs smaller so the install is shorter, and on and on.
Let's not forget that 2K has a whole movie thing going on in the MyCareer mode. There's a ton of cutscenes and such in that mode and I'm sure that's where a lot of the 2K game size comes from.

My NBA 2K19 Lakers Dynasty -https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-nba-2k19.html

PSN: GetYourSwooshOn
XBL: Gunslinger7O2
Old 02-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #45
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorrinRadd12
A fix to that could be another play call window showing what plays the offense (and defense) frequently calls in that down and distance and part of the field.
Coachglass actually does show you a lot of this information, but I never remember to set it up.

In any event, my problem with the defensive gameplay is that the front 7 players are intentionally nerfed in several ways.

How many times have you broken through to get a sack, but the other guy hits the pass button at the last second and gets the little dribbling incomplete animation? If real QBs were waiting that long to start their passing motion, they'd be strip sacked all day at best or get themselves injured at worst. If the team made it so that late throws in the face of pressure were the high-risk plays that they should be, then it would have a ripple effect through the gameplay. Players would either have to run substantially shorter routes or eat more sacks going for long plays.

It would also help if holding the sprint/scramble button as a QB force-zoomed the camera down to the QB, so you couldn't have a guy running flat out but still somehow able to read the coverage. It would make the scramble into the desperation move it's supposed to be, rather then the normal footspeed of the QB. If the guy escapes, then he can release the button and the camera will zoom back out, reflecting the QB getting his eyes downfield.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2016, 12:57 PM   #46
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
Coachglass actually does show you a lot of this information, but I never remember to set it up.

In any event, my problem with the defensive gameplay is that the front 7 players are intentionally nerfed in several ways.

How many times have you broken through to get a sack, but the other guy hits the pass button at the last second and gets the little dribbling incomplete animation? If real QBs were waiting that long to start their passing motion, they'd be strip sacked all day at best or get themselves injured at worst. If the team made it so that late throws in the face of pressure were the high-risk plays that they should be, then it would have a ripple effect through the gameplay. Players would either have to run substantially shorter routes or eat more sacks going for long plays.

It would also help if holding the sprint/scramble button as a QB force-zoomed the camera down to the QB, so you couldn't have a guy running flat out but still somehow able to read the coverage. It would make the scramble into the desperation move it's supposed to be, rather then the normal footspeed of the QB. If the guy escapes, then he can release the button and the camera will zoom back out, reflecting the QB getting his eyes downfield.
These are good ideas.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 0

The offense in Madden is great, which is why there's always such high scores. Next year's Madden should heavily focus on defense. I want to play full 15 minute quarters and finish 16-10 or 17-13. I'm tired of teams averaging 39 points. I want to struggle to score points and I want a competent defense.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #48
Rookie

Cajungodfather's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC

Even a simpler approach would be just for the wr icons would disappear if you were sprinting with the qb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »