Home

Awareness vs Play Recognition for defensive players

This is a discussion on Awareness vs Play Recognition for defensive players within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #25
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Awareness vs Play Recognition for defensive players

Mostly on topic, I've been doing some experimenting with a lot of young players in my current franchise, and while I cannot say for sure which ones have the greatest change on the field, raising awareness at some positions has a MUCH larger effect on their overall rating than it does for others.

CB, LB and OL positions seem to see the biggest boosts, even when the players already have a high OVR. For example, I took a third year guard, and dumped XP into his AWR to raise it from about 70 to 85. By doing so (and not increasing his other attributes), his OVR went from 78 to 85.

I did the same thing with a RB, taking his AWR from around 60 to 80, and his OVR only went from 78 to 79.

The effect on CBs and LBs seems to be much closer to the guard, however gaining XP at those positions is much harder and takes a lot longer, so I haven't been able to do as much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2016, 05:55 PM   #26
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
Mostly on topic, I've been doing some experimenting with a lot of young players in my current franchise, and while I cannot say for sure which ones have the greatest change on the field, raising awareness at some positions has a MUCH larger effect on their overall rating than it does for others.

CB, LB and OL positions seem to see the biggest boosts, even when the players already have a high OVR. For example, I took a third year guard, and dumped XP into his AWR to raise it from about 70 to 85. By doing so (and not increasing his other attributes), his OVR went from 78 to 85.

I did the same thing with a RB, taking his AWR from around 60 to 80, and his OVR only went from 78 to 79.

The effect on CBs and LBs seems to be much closer to the guard, however gaining XP at those positions is much harder and takes a lot longer, so I haven't been able to do as much.
Check this link out. Helps ten-fold when upgrading players:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D81SKINS
Awarness = Consistency level (a player's ability to play to the other weighted attributes for his position).
This is the definition EA gives for awr: Awareness (AWR)*– Reacting to the other players on the field, both teammates and opponents.

Play Recognition (PRC)– Reacting to run or pass and defending specific routes. Also reacting properly to play action or screen plays.

Here's some more info on what attributes actually matter for each position and how they are weighted: http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/24/810...-to-perfect-qb

Here's where I found the PRC meaning: https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/...player-ratings
So according to this, PRC would benefit defenders but not offensive players.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #27
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51
Check this link out. Helps ten-fold when upgrading players:
Thank you for the links man. I can't believe that after all these years (I've been playing Madden since the NES) that I didn't know that it was elusiveness, and not trucking, that led to a RB breaking tackles.

The chart from 538 is also very interesting in some ways, along with of course being informative. I would NOT have guessed that the DT would be influenced by AWR more than most others on that side of the ball. In fact, my intuitive guess would have been the opposite. Also, in my experience, young DTs seem to have about the lowest initial AWR rating of all positions, meaning that they're then HARD to build up. Also seems off that LTs require less AWR than the other OL positions, but oh well.

Its also been said for a long time that certain atributes are turned off when the human player is on control of the player on the field, such as AWR for QB and BCV for RBs. Since they've switched to the current progression system, I've used that by not improving by QBs awareness before I sign him to a long term contract. His play isn't any different, but his OVR stays artificially low, allowing the user to resign him for less money.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #28
Rookie

Shards's Arena

OVR: 0

I remember when they introduced consistency was when they added the I'm have ratings changes. I don't have a source but the basic explanation was that a guy with low consistency will have a larger loss or bump based on his in game play. A guy with great consistency won't get as big of a boost when on a hot streak but won't drop as much when on a cold streak. I never did any extensive testing but it makes sense as the idea even if it wasn't implemented that way.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #29
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shards
I remember when they introduced consistency was when they added the I'm have ratings changes. I don't have a source but the basic explanation was that a guy with low consistency will have a larger loss or bump based on his in game play. A guy with great consistency won't get as big of a boost when on a hot streak but won't drop as much when on a cold streak. I never did any extensive testing but it makes sense as the idea even if it wasn't implemented that way.
What you describe was indeed true in Madden NFL 12 through Madden NFL 25; this was the Dynamic Player Performance feature.

The function of Consistency changed when Game Prep was introduced in Madden NFL 15, it now only affects XP accrued by Game Prep activities. I actually don't think Hot / Cold Streaks are in Madden NFL 15 or Madden NFL 16.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #30
Rookie

Totalpackage83's Arena

OVR: 1

Answer is easily AWR in my opinion. All I have ever known about PRC is that it helps players determine Run from Pass. AWR is big for the performance of CPU controlled players. Seeing that you can only control one of the 11 players on field at a time, AWR is the most important rating in the game imo. I've gotten great coverage from Defenders who had just average coverage ratings because the awareness served as a modifier.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:39 PM   #31
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
What you describe was indeed true in Madden NFL 12 through Madden NFL 25; this was the Dynamic Player Performance feature.

The function of Consistency changed when Game Prep was introduced in Madden NFL 15, it now only affects XP accrued by Game Prep activities. I actually don't think Hot / Cold Streaks are in Madden NFL 15 or Madden NFL 16.
It made much more sense in those days.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Does anyone know if either of these ratings effects the CPU taking false/forced steps at the snap for HUM controlled defenders?

I'm having a weird issue where even if I have all aids off, the CPU takes first steps at the snap for whichever defender I'm controlling. Oftentimes those steps are not the ones I'd choose, and they commit me to gaps or blitz lanes that take me out of the play, or they take me right toward blockers I would try to avoid.

I'm trying to figure out why this happens and how to eliminate this effect, as it makes defense no fun for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »