Home

Ideas on how to progress defensive players

This is a discussion on Ideas on how to progress defensive players within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2016, 08:32 AM   #1
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4
Ideas on how to progress defensive players

Hi guys. I'm a long time poster but haven't been around as much lately as I used to be, so forgive me if this has been covered a lot and I just missed it.

Since the transition to the current franchise mode and progression system, I don't have a lot of trouble getting the "right" players on offense to progress well. Pass a lot with a QB, run a lot with a RB, and catch the ball a lot with a WR or TE, and they'll generally build XP, especially if they have "quick" or "superstar" status. Gain a lot of yards one way or the other, and OL will as well.

On defense, the same can be said for pass rushers to a large degree, but otherwise things can be pretty outside the user's control. I'm having trouble getting even "superstar" rookies that I draft at LB, DB, or DT positions to gain very many progression points at all. A guy can be on the field for almost every play of every game, but if he doesn't compile the right stats, he may end up with just a few thousand XP at the end of the season, and a 75 OVR rookie (who looks to be a guy who can turn into a Pro Bowler) may only move 1 or 2 ticks up.

Any tips tricks on this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Ideas on how to progress defensive players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
Hi guys. I'm a long time poster but haven't been around as much lately as I used to be, so forgive me if this has been covered a lot and I just missed it.

Since the transition to the current franchise mode and progression system, I don't have a lot of trouble getting the "right" players on offense to progress well. Pass a lot with a QB, run a lot with a RB, and catch the ball a lot with a WR or TE, and they'll generally build XP, especially if they have "quick" or "superstar" status. Gain a lot of yards one way or the other, and OL will as well.

On defense, the same can be said for pass rushers to a large degree, but otherwise things can be pretty outside the user's control. I'm having trouble getting even "superstar" rookies that I draft at LB, DB, or DT positions to gain very many progression points at all. A guy can be on the field for almost every play of every game, but if he doesn't compile the right stats, he may end up with just a few thousand XP at the end of the season, and a 75 OVR rookie (who looks to be a guy who can turn into a Pro Bowler) may only move 1 or 2 ticks up.

Any tips tricks on this?

It is tougher on defence but I find it much more rewarding to build awesome defences. Some tips I use to help consistently gain XP are:

• If building LB’s, you want to hit weekly goals and milestone goals for tackles and TFL (as they are worth more), develop play recognition to get off the snap more and play a 7 man front on 1st and 2nd down even if it’s a nickel situation (play zone or zone blitz), it will transfer tackles from DB’s to your LB’s
  • For pass rushers, sacks are key, tackles for a loss often complete a milestone and are worth 50+xp each, fumbles help but not as much as TFL I think (as they don’t happen as often).
  • Get player of the week if you can, LB’s need a 10+ tackle with 2+Sacks or 1+INT usually, DL needs 3+ sacks and DB’s need 2+ INT… these are just rough though.
  • For DB’s, I think CB’s are the toughest, you need 3 tackles a game, 1+INT and go to the probowl just to go up a couple of points per season. Focus on developing Man coverage as this will allow you to stick to the WR hip more and put you in better positions for INT’s. If the QB keeps throwing check downs and flats (itchy feet mode), play COVER 2 with underneath coverage (pick 6 usually).
  • For safeties, get tackles, play a Cover 1 in run situations to get TFL or run your own safety blitzes (i.e. when assigned in man on the HB or FB), natural safety blitzes are blocked much easier. Sacks can help a CB too but can also backfire a lot as they are often not man aligned on the HB or FB.
  • Hit drive goals, you get more XP for playing a game than simming, play long enough quarters to get normal tackle numbers.
  • Get to the probowl... easier said than done, LBs need 100+ tackles and sacks and INT, pass rushers and DT’s 10+sacks, DB’s need 5+ INT.
  • Get defensive MVP… usually only a LB gets this, 150+ tackles for MLB or 100+ tackles with 5+ sacks and 2+INT. Forced fumbles don’t count for much I rating I find.
Hope that helps a bit.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

OVR: 0

Also, if you need more INTs than tackles and sacks, set your DL to QB contain as they will get to the QB slower and allow him to get a pressured throw off... more change of INTs.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Thanks, guys. All good ideas, and certainly goals that I've been shooting for. Making it happen is the tougher part. Without adjusting sliders in my own favor, INTs are much harder to come by in this year's game, it seems. I agree that CB seems to be the most difficult position on the field to advance. Space clogging DTs that don't get many stats seem pretty stuck where they start as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »