Home

Madden 17 needs to bring back QB cone or something for user QBs.

This is a discussion on Madden 17 needs to bring back QB cone or something for user QBs. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-29-2016, 10:49 PM   #33
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 17 needs to bring back QB cone or something for user QBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdleRace
QB is the most important position in football yet in Madden if user controlled QB doesn't matter much. There is 1% difference in playing a game if I am using Ryan Tannehill or Aaron Rodgers. Maybe one more missed throw a game and that is the honest truth. And Tannehill being more mobile in Madden makes up for a few missed throws.

The jacked up ratings also don't help anything. Almost every QB is rated in the same ball park for accuracy of starting QB's. I look at most the teams in Madden and in real life only a handful are solid at QB where you wouldn't even think about finding or drafting another QB. But the way Madden plays every teams QB except a handful are solid.

Even Cutler makes a good QB in Madden. In real life I would poke my eyes out if I had to watch him play more than 2 games a year.

I been trying to take a team in my CFM that has no QB but some teams with no QB like the Texans are stacked. So if you user a QB your eliminating the one flaw the team has which is the biggest flaw you can have on a team.

So this got me thinking about the old QB cone. I am not saying the QB cone is the solution. If it was a option that could be turned on and off it couldn't hurt though. I would like to think of something better or take something similar to the cone.

There has to be a way to make user QB's matter besides a few missed throws. Awareness has to matter. QB's have to matter as its the by far the most important position in football. It makes or breaks a team.

It would help allot if Madden wouldn't jack up all QB ratings. I mean freaken Tyrod Taylor is siting at 80+ awareness and 80+ accuracy. Carson Palmer is rated like he is a HoF QB. Andy Dalton has never won a playoff game yet he is locked in as a HoF QB with his rock solid ratings. These laughable ratings are not doing this game any favors.

Playing QB is kinda boring as well. The cone can be just like the kicking arc. It can be turn on or off. This is my post to EA to try to get this added to Madden 17.
I thought the cone was a joke when madden had it, but with that being said, I think you are right.

I posted earlier about how ratings in Madden needed to be tweaked. When Madden 16 released in August, there were 35 players rated above a 95 overall.

In my opinion, a 99 overall means that you are the best to ever play the game, and a 93 or above means that you are a Hall of Fame caliber quarterback. But with madden giving out high ratings like it is candy, it is really hard for us to appreciate great quarterbacks.

Adjusting sliders have helped quite a bit for my experience in cfm. However, as a Bears fan, I can admit that Jay Cutler (78 overall) is too easy to win with. The even sadder part is when Cutler was injured, and Jimmy Clausen (72 overall) jumped in to put up the same numbers and success as Jay Cutler.

And honestly, the same thing can be said for the kicking game. Accuracy means nothing. I always pick up the kicker in the free agency with the strongest leg, because accuracy doesn't mean anything in Madden.

Last edited by Toupal; 02-29-2016 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 03-01-2016, 12:44 AM   #34
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
What this essentially boils down to, is creating a variance of passing difficulty to the Human player without it being done in a gimmicky fashion and requiring some type of major adjustment/injection to years of programming.
Basically. Which can be directly related to the "yearly release" platform when it comes to sports games, but I digress...
Old 03-01-2016, 12:57 AM   #35
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I'm sorry, but I have different results if Arod is playing vs Tolzien.

I had Arod go down for a 4 week injury and Tolzein came in and passes were over and under thrown and intercepted during that time frame. This was in my SIM onlnine CFM.

If there is a drop off between #1 and #2 QB, there isn't a need for flashlight QB's.

There was so much turmoil and negatively last time it was implemented, there isn't a chance it will come back.
I think the ultimate point is how you get that dropoff. In my experiences, bad QBs just throw terrible passes. Missing wide open receivers by 5+ yards, throwing it directly to defenders, etc. The poor results don't come from a lack of ability in identifying defenses or recognition.. it's just the player is programmed to physically play poorly.

The game is missing that mental part that separates Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers/Drew Brees from Johnny Manziel/Ryan Mallet/etc. The cone brought that concept into play by making it tougher for poor QBs (Jake Delhomme had a sliver-sized cone when I remember using it) to execute plays because it took a fraction of a second to move the cone to cycle through receivers.

It also made playing safety an absolute blast because you could actually read the QBs eyes and react to where they were looking.

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2016, 06:45 AM   #36
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
I think the ultimate point is how you get that dropoff. In my experiences, bad QBs just throw terrible passes. Missing wide open receivers by 5+ yards, throwing it directly to defenders, etc. The poor results don't come from a lack of ability in identifying defenses or recognition.. it's just the player is programmed to physically play poorly.

The game is missing that mental part that separates Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers/Drew Brees from Johnny Manziel/Ryan Mallet/etc. The cone brought that concept into play by making it tougher for poor QBs (Jake Delhomme had a sliver-sized cone when I remember using it) to execute plays because it took a fraction of a second to move the cone to cycle through receivers.

It also made playing safety an absolute blast because you could actually read the QBs eyes and react to where they were looking.
That is a good point, but I'm seeing enough of a variety of passes that are thrown into coverage by QB's with lower ratings, passes being knocked down or out, passes thrown out of bounds because of a rush, or passes thrown early because of a rush. I'm seeing QB's like Kap and Wilson running out of the pocket with a rush coming or the WR's are all covered.(All from a solo online league user vs cpu)

If EA brings back something similar to the cone, but not physically looking like the cone, I'm all for it. The cone won't return to the former state because of the back lash that it received. Heck, 3 or 4 years ago as an April Fools joke, the Madden teamed joked that it was making a return.

This subject is brought up every year since the cone was dropped.

Last edited by roadman; 03-01-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:22 AM   #37
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Please, for the love of God no QB Cone. That was terrible and awkward to use. Good idea in theory, but it was just clumsy to use IMO.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #38
Rookie

Cajungodfather's Arena

I agree we need something that really makes elite QBs standout. If only for the option in CFMs. I'm a sim CFM guy, and really believe that 95% of sim leagues would play with the vision cone on. I didn't like it when we had it, but I also wasn't a sim player back then. I think the awareness attribute should be THE most important stat for a QB, and vision cone would be a great way to make it matter more,
Old 03-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #39
Rookie

smace767's Arena

OVR: 4

I hated the vision cone. I thought it was too clumsy after a few games i turned it off and put madden away and focused on NCAA.

In January of that release i decided to give madden another try. This time i dedicated the time to PRACTICE because i believed in the principle of what it was doing. My biggest issue was its too much. in reality it was a flick of the stick hit the button.

What was being marketed at the time was not just the awareness of the qbs having different cones. But the ability of the defense to read the eyes of the qb. i would say a large percentage of all interceptions are a result of the defense reading the eye. Young qbs staring down receivers leading defenders to the ball.

The visual didn't bother me because a sim view would be the 2K helmet cam. Having the god view of the entire field is so far from simulating real life. If real qbs could see the field the way a user could they would complete over 80% of passes. I think a compromise of the visual that was even brought up at the time is have the receiver icons illuminate for who is covered by the cone, from the offense and defensive point of veiws and kill the flashlight or at the least make it less bright.

With practice using a qb that had a half the field cone i developed the skills of the cone. pre loading the cone to look right knowing I'm going to throw left or down the middle. Looking down the middle when i knew i was throwing a corner.
Using the cone took practice but after some practice using it was pretty easy. Made having a bad QB that Dallas did, matter. Having Peyton was like playing todays madden, since you didn't need to move the cone. It covered the field.

Looking off defenders and reading the qbs eyes are such fundamental skills of the passing game that it needs to be represented. The only way to SEE the eyes is some kind of visual. To me having that element is way more important than, It doesn't look real or good. This is a video game. some things have to give.

SOS (5 release veteran) --Oakland Raiders

10yard Fight (rookie release)-- Detriot Lions
Old 03-01-2016, 01:45 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

They need something, if they don't go with a vision cone, QBs with low awareness should see just a shadow in the approximate place of the defender. I'm not talking about guys on the outside where they have a clear view, but in the middle of the field. Or maybe the lower the awareness, the longer it takes things in the vision cone to come into focus.

So a seasoned QB like Brady or Rogers could be locked onto a receiver on the left side running a streak, turn to the right side and see the receiver running a 15 yard out clearly while a rookie with low awareness turns to the right and everything is blurry within the cone for split second so if they throw the ball before everything comes into view it could go way off target or straight to the defender they didn't see.

Last edited by fistofrage; 03-01-2016 at 01:50 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »