Home

Anyone have Scouting restrictions?

This is a discussion on Anyone have Scouting restrictions? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 6
Re: Anyone have Scouting restrictions?

I've always just scouted based on my scheme for sim purposes. From time to time I'll go out the box with a 3-4 to 4-3 switch on a player but only if their ratings look beneficial for that kind of switch.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:29 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 1

same. i'll move a base 43 DE to OLB to fit my base 34.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
this kinda depends on how you view the projected rankings. real teams often do not change their rankings because of combine results - not the best teams anyway.
I disagree with this. I know at least the Seahawks weigh combine results heavily for certain positions. More often than not, the top players are going to be among the best athletes. JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Von Miller... all fast twitch athletes with fantastic combine numbers.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0

I use a house rule that I don't start scouting players or even looking at upcoming prospects until week 12. This seems to be about when the draft starts heating up in real life as far as evaluating prospects. Otherwise you can scout the entire draft class because half the players have a "C" as their best attribute and no one in their right mind is going to draft them so why waste the scouting points by unlocking their 2nd and 3rd best attributes.

Furthermore, since 21 year old players develop better than 22 or 23 year olds, I rarely bother looking at anyone older than 21. Which means even more that I can scout the entire pool of players I would potentially draft.

So yea, losing half my scouting points every week because I choose not to scout until week 12 is the only way I can make the draft decently challenging. Also, as mentioned, the CPU offers way too much in trade downs so I use the house rule of not trading down in the first 2 rounds (I can trade up if I want), and a maximum of two trade downs per draft. Otherwise I could trade my 4th for a 3rd, 5th for a 4th, etc and have 10 3rd round picks every year eventually.

Last edited by jhigginsluckow; 04-05-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
I only scout players who fit my scheme. I've got a Power Run offense and my WR scheme is Possession, so I can scout WRs who are either Power Run or Possession type.
This is what I do for both FA and the draft.

I'll scout players who either fit my overall scheme or my positional archetype.

I tend to be able to make it through a whole draft and draft guys I fully scouted and who are appropriate picks for their respective rounds this way. Conversely, there are lots of guys I just don't even look at because they don't fit my criteria, so I enjoy seeing who the CPU found that I didn't look at.

I allow myself two exceptions.

For drafting or FA, I'll allow myself to target USC alumni as a homer pick.

For FA, I'll allow myself to pursue a "reunited and it feels so good" player who has formerly played for a team and who developed a strong connection with the fanbase, set team records, or something like that.

These rules generally keep me in line and keep it fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2016, 10:37 PM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrtkolman
I disagree with this. I know at least the Seahawks weigh combine results heavily for certain positions. More often than not, the top players are going to be among the best athletes. JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Von Miller... all fast twitch athletes with fantastic combine numbers.
those players were ranked high before the combine. seahawks care about measurables but most teams rarely change their big boards much based the combine.

well, actually, bad teams do. that's why the raiders use to draft stupidly under al davis for the last decade of his life.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:39 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
This is what I do for both FA and the draft.

I'll scout players who either fit my overall scheme or my positional archetype.

I tend to be able to make it through a whole draft and draft guys I fully scouted and who are appropriate picks for their respective rounds this way. Conversely, there are lots of guys I just don't even look at because they don't fit my criteria, so I enjoy seeing who the CPU found that I didn't look at.

I allow myself two exceptions.

For drafting or FA, I'll allow myself to target USC alumni as a homer pick.

For FA, I'll allow myself to pursue a "reunited and it feels so good" player who has formerly played for a team and who developed a strong connection with the fanbase, set team records, or something like that.

These rules generally keep me in line and keep it fun.
i generally ignore player type and focus on scheme. i'll draft any good B34 CB, regardless of whether he's man, balanced or run support. i may flip him to FS and back to change his player type but i generally don't care. the same goes for WR and RB. i'll take any WCO WR even if he's a RZT or SPD guy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »