Home

The Equalizer in Madden 16.

This is a discussion on The Equalizer in Madden 16. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #17
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Equalizer in Madden 16.

CM Hooe:

I think that scripted/tight games (as annoying as they are) create that intensity and excitement you wouldn't see in a blowout. Using that logic we could ask why does All Madden or HOF (NBA 2K/The Show) artificially inflate CPU ratings instead of making the respective games more X's and O's oriented. Who does that benefit? No one really except people who want a challenge, not necessarily a more tactical game. Yet it's there in every sports game and the devs a fully aware of it. I think it's a limitation of the times, we're not at the point yet where we can have CPU Belichick or Popovich think and function like the themselves and then have the players react accordingly.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:55 AM   #18
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I think the OP intentions were not about momentum, comeback code, etc........ it was more about "wonky" plays happening because he sees stuff happening in the 1st quarter.

I'm not blaming anyone, just saying there are a lot more threads on the above and should try to steer the topic back to equalizer or "wonky" plays.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #19
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
CM Hooe:

I think that scripted/tight games (as annoying as they are) create that intensity and excitement you wouldn't see in a blowout. Using that logic we could ask why does All Madden or HOF (NBA 2K/The Show) artificially inflate CPU ratings instead of making the respective games more X's and O's oriented. Who does that benefit? No one really except people who want a challenge, not necessarily a more tactical game. Yet it's there in every sports game and the devs a fully aware of it. I think it's a limitation of the times, we're not at the point yet where we can have CPU Belichick or Popovich think and function like the themselves and then have the players react accordingly.
It does benefit a certain audience, though and you need to try to please as many masses of consumers you can, only if it's a small percentage, it's still enough of a percentage for companies bottom line.

In the past, and I don't see why it would change, the game was tested on All-Pro.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #20
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
It does benefit a certain audience, though and you need to try to please as many masses of consumers you can, only if it's a small percentage, it's still enough of a percentage for companies bottom line.

In the past, and I don't see why it would change, the game was tested on All-Pro.
I get that. I have friends who like to play on those harder modes simply because of the challenge and bragging rights. Nothing more. This isn't something that's specific to Madden, though. It's in every sports game. I remember one year in NBA 2K where it showed how much of a boost the CPU players got on the higher difficulties. Like a +10 point difference in attributes and stuff. The main point being that these games have mechanisms built in them to tilt/manipulate it one way or another. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing. We need it because everyone has a different skill level and will, presumably, get better at the game over time. We just aren't there yet with the technology. I don't think that it's devs intentionally trying to "cheat" people. Or even trying to please a certain audience. If you're an NFL fan do you really want Leonard Hankerson playing like Julio Jones because you need a challenge? It's just necessary. What I would like to see though is coach/manager tendencies and personalities based of their real life calls in certain situations and coverage. Talk it further than just playbooks.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #21
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
I get that. I have friends who like to play on those harder modes simply because of the challenge and bragging rights. Nothing more. This isn't something that's specific to Madden, though. It's in every sports game. I remember one year in NBA 2K where it showed how much of a boost the CPU players got on the higher difficulties. Like a +10 point difference in attributes and stuff. The main point being that these games have mechanisms built in them to tilt/manipulate it one way or another. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing. We need it because everyone has a different skill level and will, presumably, get better at the game over time. We just aren't there yet with the technology. I don't think that it's devs intentionally trying to "cheat" people. Or even trying to please a certain audience. If you're an NFL fan do you really want Leonard Hankerson playing like Julio Jones because you need a challenge? It's just necessary. What I would like to see though is coach/manager tendencies and personalities based of their real life calls in certain situations and coverage. Talk it further than just playbooks.
Oh yeah, I wasn't saying it was specific to Madden, heck, how many threads are in each sports game forum about momentum or difficulty levels.

Agree with the last point, I think that feature was with HC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #22
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I think the OP intentions were not about momentum, comeback code, etc........ it was more about "wonky" plays happening because he sees stuff happening in the 1st quarter.

I'm not blaming anyone, just saying there are a lot more threads on the above and should try to steer the topic back to equalizer or "wonky" plays.
My understanding of what you refer to as "wonky" and what the OP refers to as "the equalizer" is a deliberate corrective measure by the developer to artificially make a lopsided matchup more competitive, or to even reverse the likely outcome altogether because reasons.

The closest you'll get to that in the game is All-Madden and/or sliders giving ratings boosts / applying ratings penalties in determining the results of various dice rolls. But the dice roll still applies, and either side can still theoretically win; the game doesn't predetermine a winner on any given play and forego the dice roll.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #23
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

I believe there is a coding to make games more competitive when playing the CPU...I have seen my CB's just stop while covering M2m, for example...And in MUT, I have found on the challenges where you are faced with a certain scenario, such as scoring a TD for the win with 2:00 minutes left in the game, first you are generally behind by 4 points; then if you score too fast, the CPU will run that ball down the field and score...It is obvious to me that some how things are setup to create a more intense experience...When it comes to beating the CPU in these challenges what Madden wants you to do is time your score with as little time on the clock as possible, else you will get burned.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #24
Rookie

Had a case of the "make it exciting" last night.

Beating Denver at home by 8. I've got the ball and I'm trying to run as much clock as I can. Computer is doing some serious cheating...pretty much all drive long, every three downs, I get a holding call or block in the back. Big play? Block in the back. Nice run? Holding

I manage to convert and grind out the drive. I get a crucial third down conversion with 5 minutes left at their 30. Worst case, I can run clock and kick a field goal to go up by 11. But, I'm suddenly able to run and find a first and goal from the 5. Game over right?

Ha. Next play, my runner cuts though a gaping hole heading for the end zone. Von Miller catches me from behind, pops the ball out. He then picks it up HIMSELF and proceeds to run the other direction, 95 yards for a TD. No one even came close to catching him.

Now, I know Von Miller is pretty awesome, but that was total bull****. They of course get the 2 point conversion to tie. I ended up winning the game because I broke a big run for a TD, but they had 45 seconds to make a tying score. I stopped them on a 4th and 5 for a 4 yard gain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »