Home

Do You Care About Dangerous Hits in Madden?

This is a discussion on Do You Care About Dangerous Hits in Madden? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #33
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Do You Care About Dangerous Hits in Madden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
I don't see how you can get rid of animations completely in any game. Even Backbreaker limited its physics implementation to collisions. Players still have to run, throw, attempt to catch, swat, etc. You need animations for all that stuff.
In his defense, he did specify all contact:

Quote:
Originally Posted by half-fast

Ive been wanting companies to get rid of animations for years. Theyre holding graphical fidelity up, but hold down the realism of the game. Eventually, everything all contact in any sports game needs to be fully dynamic and physics based - its the only way of the future. Id be willing to keep graphics the way they are now, and have EA, 2K, SCEA and the like only work on physics and AI. I'm so done with canned animations and limited outcomes.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:36 PM   #34
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
I don't see how you can get rid of animations completely in any game. Even Backbreaker limited its physics implementation to collisions. Players still have to run, throw, attempt to catch, swat, etc. You need animations for all that stuff.
You actually can get rid of all animations, 100%, but it takes far too much processing power to do it in any kind of meaningful way at the moment, in my opinion.

You can literally create a wireframe person that you can train to learn how to walk, jump, turn, whatever, and the ai has to do the math to make the limbs do exactly that. Add in some of the player stats and some slight random variation and you can literally get a muscle pull that is legit, basically just by turning awkwardly, not a random muscle pull dice roll.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:21 AM   #35
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by half-fast
You actually can get rid of all animations, 100%, but it takes far too much processing power to do it in any kind of meaningful way at the moment, in my opinion.

You can literally create a wireframe person that you can train to learn how to walk, jump, turn, whatever, and the ai has to do the math to make the limbs do exactly that. Add in some of the player stats and some slight random variation and you can literally get a muscle pull that is legit, basically just by turning awkwardly, not a random muscle pull dice roll.
Except you can pull a muscle without anything awkward. Your season can end on a cut that you do/practice several dozen times over the course of a week.

Don't see why a dice roll triggers some of you, it will never go away, just ideally be influenced by ability/stats.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2016, 12:30 AM   #36
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Except you can pull a muscle without anything awkward. Your season can end on a cut that you do/practice several dozen times over the course of a week.

Don't see why a dice roll triggers some of you, it will never go away, just ideally be influenced by ability/stats.
I dont believe I said it bothered me, just that physics based is better, and it is. In college I had a project where I had to create a wire-frame, self-calculating stick man. It's creepy at how lifelike the movements are, even though its just a stickman. Eventually, sports game will lose animations, the tech is there,and has been for a while, its just not quite practical yet, and games dont have enough competition to make it happen at the moment.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:22 AM   #37
Just started!

As a Offline CFM only mode player the addition of penalties for late/illegal hits could add some realism to the game, but I don't see it flying with the NFL to get it in the game. Also this would open a can of worms of having ratings for sportsmanship/character which the NFLPA would have none of.

Personally EA have a ton of other more important issues to resolve before tackling this, like the getting the clock to stop when I run out of bounds, OC & DC's, (insert features that have been taken out of previous games)
Old 04-26-2016, 07:31 AM   #38
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigolenutz

Personally EA have a ton of other more important issues to resolve before tackling this, like the getting the clock to stop when I run out of bounds, OC & DC's, (insert features that have been taken out of previous games)
The clock stopping when running out of bounds? I'm pretty sure EA is getting the ruling right if this is what you are referring to.

The official ruling that the play clock shouldn't resume until the ball is hiked is only when there is less than 2 minutes left in the first half and under 5 minutes in the second half.

Scrimmage Down
Article 2Following any timeout (3-36), the game clock shall be started on a scrimmage down when the ball is
next snapped, except in the following situations:
(a) Whenever a runner goes out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, the game clock is started when
an official spots the ball at the inbounds spot, and the Referee gives the signal to start the game
clock, except that the clock will start on the snap:
(1) after a change of possession;
(2) after the two-minute warning of the first half; or
(3) inside the last five minutes of the second half.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content...ame_Timing.pdf

Last edited by roadman; 04-26-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #39
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Not to speak for the author, but I think the issue highlighted via the embedded video is the late cleanup hits that come well after the whistle.
The thing is the hit technically wasn't late bc the ball carrier was "resting" on a tacklers legs so to the game the ball carrier is not down and the whistle hasn't blown which is why the second defender flies in like that. It's important to remember the reason they added his "clean up" hits is bc we were all tired of seeing 10 defenders just standing around while a tackle animation played out.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #40
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

You can clearly hear the whistle a full second before the defender launches himself into the receiver.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »