Home

M17 (PS4) vs M07 (PS2/Original XBox)

This is a discussion on M17 (PS4) vs M07 (PS2/Original XBox) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
Rookie

Guru03's Arena

OVR: 5
M17 (PS4) vs M07 (PS2/Original XBox)

Mods, if you need to move this thread or it needs to be a post in another thread, you guys can do what you need to do.

So my twin brother and I are going to do a franchise together when we come home from college next week.

I have not played Madden 17 at all this year. I have played previous PS4 Maddens a little bit so I understand how it's now called CFM.

For an offline franchise, is it better to do one with Madden 07 PS2 or Madden 17 PS4 and why?

By the way is it better to play as a regular team or to do a fantasy draft?

Please list specific pros and cons for each and thank you guys so much in advance.

EDIT: I am not going to play on a PC, because I do not understand how to mod or work a PC.?

- Clemson
- Michigan
- Michigan State (because of Anthony Ianni)

Last edited by Guru03; 05-02-2017 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Not playing on a PC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: M17 (PS4) vs M07 (PS2/Original XBox)

You would probably have more fun playing madden 07 tbh. I only played ps2 version.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
MVP

jerwoods's Arena

OVR: 1

i just got madden 17 on ps4

pros looks unbeliever deep cfm edit player in CFM edit draft class after the draft

cons better fran mode in ps2 QB are too Acc in mad 17 OL makes a easy pocket where u dont get sacked much in 17 kick system in madden 17 is like a goif game

m17 is a must on the ps4 but for your needs m07 will be better
Old 04-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

I would play a PC version before I'd bother with the ps2 version. Same thing with better graphics,mods,editing.

The gameplay has gotten alot better since those days but somehow franchise isn't as good. I prefer '16 to '17.I think it's a cleaner playing game but that's just my opinion.

'07 was the best franchise year,probably not as good as '05 gameplay though from what I remember.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #5
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0

If you are going old madden go pc version dude. In order to play though. You need windows 8 or older. Pretty sure windows 10 won't work.

Oh and go madden 08 or 05. 07 Isn't quite as good.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2017, 12:42 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Pretty cool seeing a fellow Greenvillian on here. Do you go to Clemson?

To answer your question, my advice is to play '17. I have seen quite a few guys try to pull out a classic version only to realize it had its flaws too. If you go with 07, you'll need to adjust to the gameplay speed. It was a solid game IMO, but like someone else said, 08 on PC is freaking awesome by comparison to the older consoles. You can most likely pick up a copy of Windows 7 or 8 at school...if not, take a DVD to Greenville Tech, go to the computer lab and they have a PC dedicated to burning software. The instructors don't want to be bothered with idiot end users, so the key is built in when you burn it. You can get pretty much any MS software other than Office.

Good luck!
Old 05-01-2017, 04:27 AM   #7
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Unless you are interested in modding (in which case you should be playing on PC and not PS2), there is absolutely no reason to play Madden NFL 07 on any platform over Madden NFL 17 on PS4 / XBOX One. The newest game does literally everything better: better gameplay, more authentic-to-real-life gameplay, better new user on-boarding, better presentation, better atmosphere, better commentary, more gameplay modes, better gameplay modes, more online functionality, better online functionality, etc. etc.

Specific to offline franchise gameplay mechanics, Madden NFL 17 offers you more meaningful control over your team than Madden NFL 07 did. You decide how your players progress (as opposed to being at the mercy of an opaque black box), you decide your team's weekly training regiment (which affects your team's performance in games), you scout incoming rookies as you see fit (to optimize your offseason draft), among other things. M17 is also far more transparent as to why certain things out of your control happen: if a player regresses, the game will tell you why in the Player Regression screen; if a CPU player dramatically increases in ratings, the game will tell you why in the player card; if a player returns early from injury, the game will tell you why. Finally, there's no comparison between the two with respect to franchise-specific presentation elements, at which M07 made no meaningful attempt.

By comparison, M07 franchise will just progress and regress players completely outside of your control without any forward-facing rhyme or reason (with the exception of the player roles, which were reasonably transparent as to how they were earned). One thing people will commonly point to that M07 has that M17 does not is offensive / defensive / special teams coordinators, but all assistant coaches did in the old games was provide static ratings boosts; coaches never progressed or regressed, so there was never any meaningful gameplay strategy other than "hire the coach who gives the best boosts". It was quite a flaccid mechanic. Both franchise modes have similar levels of functionality in Owner Mode other than that, but unless you want to relocate a team I personally don't think Owner Mode is worth touching in either game.

Really the only place where M07 has a leg up in offline franchise out-of-the-box is local multiplayer user control, and even then that advantage is specific to the acts of franchise setup and switching between users in the franchise UI. The user experience of creating and swapping between multiple users in an M17 offline franchise is admittedly a little clunky.

EDIT: one more note, both games offer fantasy draft to start a franchise IIRC; M17 definitely does. Personally, I don't use fantasy draft as I prefer to start with the roster my team actually has in real life, but I can understand the appeal of building a roster from scratch. Whether you use a fantasy draft is up to you, but both games will let you do that.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 05-01-2017 at 04:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #8
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
One thing people will commonly point to that M07 has that M17 does not is offensive / defensive / special teams coordinators, but all assistant coaches did in the old games was provide static ratings boosts; coaches never progressed or regressed, so there was never any meaningful gameplay strategy other than "hire the coach who gives the best boosts".
This is 100% wrong. In fact, dating back to at least Madden 2004 there was a menu in the staff hiring section of the off-season explicitly dedicated to coach progression and regression where coaches would progress and regress in not only position specific ratings but also ratings in Motivation, Work Ethic, Chemistry, Knowledge, Offense and Defense. The boosts players would receive could also change in accordance to these progressions and regressions. Just simming through one season of Madden 07 just now and I saw my OL and TE boosts go from exclusively +1 AWR to +3 AWR, +2 PBK, and +2 RBK all with the same coaching staff as the year prior.

And if gameplay is the most important aspect you're looking for then definitely go with 17. It is far and away a better game on-the-field than anything offered back then. The only area where I believe those older Madden still outdoes the current Madden's is player movement in terms of respecting speed and momentum but it's not a great enough difference to warrant choosing it over 17 if you're looking for good football.

Off-the-field Madden 07 offers player roles which affects how teams value players based on things like where they were drafted and injury history. It also offers restricted free agency and, as previously mentioned, tangible coaching and medical staffs.

Scouting I would say is a push. 17's is by far easier and more simple but would also require you both to do it before advancing the week at the expense of losing half your alotted scouting points. 07 allows you to play a College All-Star game with incoming rookies which might be interesting but from what I remember it is virtually the only info you get on the players. I much preferred Madden 06's scouting to both.

Trade and draft logic from the AI is absolutely horrid in each. Madden 07 had issues with teams drafting kickers and punters very early (talking first round here) and Madden 17 has its own litany of issues in that regard. Madden 07 limits you to 10 picks per draft while I believe M17 is somewhere in the 20's.

Progression/Regression is pick your poison. 17 is RPG-based and allows you to do pretty much anything you want with any player and stat chasing plays a significant role in both. It is also absolutely ruthless from a regression standpoint. Once players hit 26 they uniformly start dropping in all physical categories at a rapid pace. And on occasion certain players will suffer nonsensical drops in areas after "bad" games. 07's progression is much more restricted and almost exclusively out of user control and regression is far more friendly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »