Home

Madden NFL 17 First Look Trailer and Five Things You Must Know About the Game

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17 First Look Trailer and Five Things You Must Know About the Game within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2016, 02:43 AM   #57
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Madden NFL 17 First Look Trailer and Five Things You Must Know About the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Same as his handle on here @RexDEAFootball
Thanks Jp, as well as getting us information.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:02 AM   #58
MVP

SeaTownGamer's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 17 First Look Trailer and Five Things You Must Know About the Game

First few pages was hoping the OS community have a discussion about gameplay, animations and player model but instead it was mostly about arm sleeves? Smh.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:13 AM   #59
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaTownGamer
First few pages was hoping the OS community have a discussion about gameplay, animations and player model but instead it was mostly about arm sleeves? Smh.
Quite honestly that's the only conversation worth having in lieu of the new footage that is not completely speculative. We can opine about the pattern recognition and gap assignments but until we see those things in action, any in-depth analysis is pointless. On the other hand, people could actually see the arm sleeves and equipment. People have been clamoring for new equipment for years.

I for one was not surprised at the course the conversation took. The community has a right to analyze any aspect of the trailer.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:01 AM   #60
Rookie

undrafted's Arena

Here are 5 things I took from the trailer:

- interspersing real-time footage in in-game footage may save you from producing ultra high quality models of the players (that never show up in the final version of the game anyway), but does not make your presentation feel any less suspect

- the continuous slow-motion / fast forward may be an effective technique to highlight the player special moves, but does not make the trailer particularly easy on the eyes (I would not want to watch it again)

- as a result of the above mentioned technique, the trailer does not make a good job of portraying the fluidity/synchronicity of American Football, but instead feels like a discrete sequence of individual actions I have already seen countless times: trick-play / spin / hurdle / (signature) touch down celebration... and it feels frustrating because this does not say anything new to me

- the exclusive focus on a single player (no matter if he is the one on the cover of the game - WE GOT IT, OK ? ) seems to disregard (or even worse disprove) one of this year's edition main features, which suggests different 'special' moves depending on each player features (I would have expected a different player doing each of the special moves and not all of them made by a single player)

- all-in all, this trailer looked to me more like one of those announcements of a new character made availabe in a pre-existing videogame with a DLC
Old 05-13-2016, 04:18 AM   #61
Rookie

JimmyT85's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by undrafted
Here are 5 things I took from the trailer:

- interspersing real-time footage in in-game footage may save you from producing ultra high quality models of the players (that never show up in the final version of the game anyway), but does not make your presentation feel any less suspect

- the continuous slow-motion / fast forward may be an effective technique to highlight the player special moves, but does not make the trailer particularly easy on the eyes (I would not want to watch it again)

- as a result of the above mentioned technique, the trailer does not make a good job of portraying the fluidity/synchronicity of American Football, but instead feels like a discrete sequence of individual actions I have already seen countless times: trick-play / spin / hurdle / (signature) touch down celebration... and it feels frustrating because this does not say anything new to me

- the exclusive focus on a single player (no matter if he is the one on the cover of the game - WE GOT IT, OK ? ) seems to disregard (or even worse disprove) one of this year's edition main features, which suggests different 'special' moves depending on each player features (I would have expected a different player doing each of the special moves and not all of them made by a single player)

- all-in all, this trailer looked to me more like one of those announcements of a new character made availabe in a pre-existing videogame with a DLC
I hear you.

But I was just listening to an interview with Rex, and he pointed out this new trailer is to try and drag in casuals and new players. It's not made for us people who already play/purchase Madden.

He said this is what marketing want, and not necessarily what himself or the Madden team wants. I guess it's just one of those things I'm afraid!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2016, 08:09 AM   #62
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
Quite honestly that's the only conversation worth having in lieu of the new footage that is not completely speculative. We can opine about the pattern recognition and gap assignments but until we see those things in action, any in-depth analysis is pointless. On the other hand, people could actually see the arm sleeves and equipment. People have been clamoring for new equipment for years.

I for one was not surprised at the course the conversation took. The community has a right to analyze any aspect of the trailer.
Well said. Equipment really is the only thing we can come to any kind of conclusion on so far. So people can say "all these gameplay improvements and we're talking about sleeves and socks" like Allen Iverson but like you said it is honestly the only conversation worth having outside of discussing the new fake field goal or what the gameplay features might mean.

Everything gameplay wise sounds great in theory which is always the case. But we have no clue what gap assignments look like or how line play has been changed to compensate for those changes. We know absolutely nothing about the new defensive AI or how it looks or works in an actual gameplay environment. Special teams changes sound great but we don't know how the new kick meter works or if punts have been changed. All we know is there is at least one new fake FG play. So we can sit here and jump to conclusions about what's behind door number one when we have no clue yet or we can talk about what we actually see in the 15-20 seconds of gameplay we saw.

I highly doubt there are many people here that prioritize new gloves, cleats, or sleeves over gap assignments, enhanced AI, or special teams improvements. I know I don't, but with equipment people were told it would be "on point" and I think they missed a big opportunity to cash in on that. The cleats look great and the gloves look awesome too although I'd like to see more styles so hopefully we'll see that moving. New helmets and facemasks we've yet to see to the full extent so it's hard to go in on that. I'm happy they finally touched equipment as it was much needed but I hope it continues to get better and doesn't go dormant again because there's still a lot of room for improvement in that area.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:25 AM   #63
Rookie

dk6663's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Madden NFL 17 First Look Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
Madden has a literally impossible job with some people lol. No wonder they stopped posting here.
I LOVE THIS GAME, FLAWS AND ALL !!!!!
Old 05-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #64
MVP

Gman 18's Arena

OVR: 27

That was quite possibly the most uninspiring trailer i've seen. What happened to years passed of showing the core elements of football in trailers? Now all they show is gimmicks---just goes to show you where the overall direction and focus of this game has gone towards---gimmicks. Why not make a trailer of the league's most popular TE receiving the flip from the holder on a fake-field goal attempt with a gimmicky rap song in the background? The likelihood of that happening in real life is slim to none. I mean you really can't even see the holder flipping the ball to Gronkowski on the play, all you really see is him trucking through a defender. The mechanics of the designed play aren't shown. Rather, all you see is Gronkowski running with the ball and running over a Jets defender.

And not to be too nitpicky, but don't even get me started on that awful song playing in the background. A first-look trailer is supposed to get you excited for what's to come next in the revealing of the game. Nothing in that trailer made me want to see what else is in store for the game. We want a simulation football game, not fantasy land. With madden in some cases it seems all logic is thrown out the window just to showcase the most popular players in the league mimicing what they do in real life, although to a MUCH higher extent. Just look at the emphasis they put on one handed catches after putting Odell Beckham Jr on the cover.

I know it may seem like im looking way too far into this, but we are seeing now what we see every year and it's looking like more of the same from EA. At the end of the day, hopefully that was just marketing-team bs and not a reflection of what's to be in the game.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gman 18; 05-13-2016 at 09:32 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »