Home

Madden NFL 17 Interview with Rex Dickson (SimFBallCritic)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17 Interview with Rex Dickson (SimFBallCritic) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Madden 17 First Look Interview with Rex Dickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Was this the first video they released for 25? I ask bc usually we get a "sizzle" highlife trailer first.

Listening to how they described things though leaves a lot to be desired. Locomotion/ True Step is still not that good, the line interactions dont really feel physical bc the players lack a sense of weight, the pocket still doesn't form like a true natural pocket.

Madden has always been good at marketing, I hope 17 really delivers,'can't wait for more info to roll out
Nah, the first trailer was this fake trailer:

^^^ I got that from Azure's channel, but it's the one that links the whole Ignite thing. If you recall, there used to be a standalone trailer for 25 of that same thing, but somehow it's pretty much disappeared from the internet. Hmmm, wonder why...
Old 05-13-2016, 10:54 AM   #34
EA Game Changer

AzureEffect's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
To be fair guys you cant compare a teaser cover guy trailer to an official gameplay trailer, I'm sure we will get a gameplay trailer similar to this one later on.
Very true! But I'm from the thought of "what's wrong with showing a gameplay trailer first" I'm not a casual fan but that Gronk trailer was subpar at best. I also understand that it was a marketing ploy; I believe it was a bad one. I'm pretty sure that casual fans could get on board and enjoy a "gameplay" trailer. Two birds; one stone.

But it is what it is; what really matters is when the game comes out and the 30 - 120 days thereafter
Old 05-13-2016, 10:57 AM   #35
EA Game Changer

AzureEffect's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridiron
Nah, the first trailer was this fake trailer:

^^^ I got that from Azure's channel, but it's the one that links the whole Ignite thing. If you recall, there used to be a standalone trailer for 25 of that same thing, but somehow it's pretty much disappeared from the internet. Hmmm, wonder why...
And I didn't even know that was fake at the time lol. That was during the "secrecy" of XB1, PS4 transition. I watched the presentation and uploaded it and now that I look back on it... Reminds me of 06. We are in a better place gameplay wise though and that's great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2016, 10:59 AM   #36
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureEffect
And I didn't even know that was fake at the time lol. That was during the "secrecy" of XB1, PS4 transition. I watched the presentation and uploaded it and now that I look back on it... Reminds me of 06. We are in a better place gameplay wise though and that's great.
Yeah, not your fault. Nobody knew for sure at the time.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #37
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Seriously....Madden is in great hands.

And it has shown in the game. M16 was a breakthrough a true next gen Madden game....like since PS2/XBOX.

I am super pumped for M17. It's only going to be better. No doubt in my mind.

Pre-ordered it for PS4 on Amazon today. Really excited.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 05-13-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #38
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16

I haven't been the biggest fan of Rex (not that that matters at all). The "come at me bro" stuff was just silly, and saying he thought Madden 16 was a better overall game than NBA 2K16 last year on the Press Row Podcast saddened me. There's confidence in your game, and then there's not recognizing that your game is far behind another game in the sports gaming genre. Made me think Madden would never reach the NBA 2K level.

With that being said, he seems like he's leveled out a bit more. The confidence in the game is still there (which is great), but admitting that the teaser was lackluster, even for a teaser, shows me he's grown. Last year, he kept pointing out the sales and the meta-critic scores, which I know are important to the safety of his job and many others there, but we all know why pointing at those as a sign that the game is where it needs to be is flawed. Even in it's worst year, Madden sold like hotcakes. And Meta-Critic is filled with reviews from reviewers who won't play the game past a couple hours.

Toning all that noise down and being open with the issues your game has and communicating with us about it, that I can definitely get on board with. Celebrate your achievements, but also show some humbleness. I'm pulling for ya, Rex & squad. Keep at it.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 28

I guess I don't understand why anyone really cares much about whether a trailer is great or not. Why does it matter? The only thing that REALLY matters is the final product. I've seen many trailers for games that both over and underwhelmed, but did not do a good job of representing the real game. We've also seen countless madden trailers that did nothing to show what the real game was like (Madden 25 on NG for example). From what I saw, there was nothing in the trailer that showed what they did or didn't do in Madden 17.

After reading what they've added, it "sounds" great. However, it always sounds great. Like when they talked about the "smartest madden ever", best line play ever in a football game, 50 calculations per second, a real pocket, true step foot planting, etc. etc. None of those things worked at all like we expected, and still didn't in Madden 16. Once again, over the years I've said that some good ideas come out of there from time to time, but the implementation always fails. All that matters is the implementation.

On another note, with respect to the marketing stuff, I would rather them not advertise basic football fundamentals. That stuff SHOULDN'T be marketed, it should just be there, so I don't think their marketing team is doing anything wrong. A basketball game doesn't market fouls or free throws or having nets on the rims. Those are just things that make basketball part of what it is.

I applaud them for attempting to put these things in the game, but at this point in time, no praise or criticism is warranted. It doesn't do any good to be super excited if it doesn't work right. It also doesn't do any good to be critical because it may end up being the best thing we've ever seen. Seeing a live stream will help to show whether or not this stuff actually works.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #40
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Madden 17 First Look Interview with Rex Dickson

This was the first Madden 25 trailer that wasn't "fake", I believe that Ignite trailer said it was their target vision for Madden so all of that combined was more of a end game goal than a reality. Anyway here is the first M25 trailer but even this was at E3

https://youtu.be/-VWVSwEtJQU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »