Home

I've played ~40 hours of Madden 17: AMAlmost Anything (Answers in first post)

This is a discussion on I've played ~40 hours of Madden 17: AMAlmost Anything (Answers in first post) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
I've played ~40 hours of Madden 17: AMAlmost Anything (Answers in first post)

So, as a GameChanger, I've been lucky enough to be invited to EA's studios to play Madden 17. I've been given permission to answer questions here with some ground rules: I can only talk about what's been announced and I cannot give any impressions. I will always err on the side of caution but I will let you know if I can't answer something and why. With that said, fire away!

EDIT 5/18/16 I can now talk about the information contained in this blog: https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/...-special-moves

And this one: https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/...ap-assignments

And this: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/ma...-and-more.aspx

Edit 5/26/16: can now answer questions related to zone coverages: https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/...-zone-coverage

special teams, and more https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/...s-improvements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ANSWERS SO FAR

1. The RB moves have been reworked within the tiered system. There are some new animations tied to it for offense and defense, but it's still a dice roll. So it's not like a power back will always be effective with a stiff arm or a small back will always be effective with a juke.

2. They've added new zone types, some of which replace zones that existed in previous defensive play calls. So, for example, there's still "Cover 3 Sky," but some of the zone types in that play have been changed. Does that make sense?

In addition, they've added pattern matching to cover 3 (they've made changes to other zones as well but the blog isn't specific so I can't be). I tested it with coach's film in front of me (I'm obsessed with pattern-matching) and I watched how different offensive concepts caused the pattern match to change and shift in real life. I then ran the same concepts in the game and the coverages in the game seemed to follow the same rule sets as the ones on the coach's film.

3. I definitely noticed a difference in effectiveness with players with different zone ratings, but I don't know if we'll ever see complete blown coverages. It's a philosophical thing that might just never jive with what they're doing.

4. The new zone types have different reads and checks, which should, in theory, help with the problem of defenders defending zones with no threats. Honestly though I didn't have time to really get in and test this the way I wanted. I was focused on pattern matching and ran out of time.

Some other tidbits: they have not talked at all about my 2 favorite additions to the in-game experience :x

5. Ratings definitely do play a part in gap control, but I don't think awareness is as important. I didn't do any specific comparisons between players as it relates to gap control but I imagine block shed, strength, speed and play rec play more of a role.

6. I'll be able to talk about this more when they get more in depth about the tiered system. Some of these moves are more or less effective depending on the tier of ball carrier.

7. I can't really give impressions about the running game but the tools are there for the user to hit cutbacks.

8. I don't know everything that's out there but I noticed a bunch of new cleats

9. Are blitzes effected by the new gap system? Yes, it is possible to get gap pressure using blitzes, since the gaps are now correctly occupied by DLinemen.

10. Did they remove the Over-Powered Double Juke? The ball carrier tiers should help alleviate this problem for most players.

11. Did they remove the catch system from last season? No

12. Does CPU attack ball carriers differently based on ball carrier type? Not really.

13. With the zone blocking, are all teams zone blocking based? I don't know if I can answer this directly, but I can say they did not remove any run plays from the playbook that I could tell.

14. Are there new zone assignments or did they just re-configure plays with the same old zones you could hit route? There are completely new zone types to go along with the old ones, as well as new zone plays.

15. Can all of the new "on field cues" be turned off? Yes, and some of them are off by default on higher difficulties.

16. I'm 99% sure both types of approaches to zone coverage (spot-drop/pattern match) are in the game.

17. Certain tiers of ballcarriers have access to different moves. It's dependent on ratings, but I didn't think to ask which ones exactly (facepalm). You should be able to progress your players in such a way to unlock the tiers.

18. No half-sleeves, player models about the same as last year.

19. There are new fake fgs and punts.

20. The new zone defenses will definitely force an adjustment from users.

21. Ice the kicker is different than in NCAA but is still being tuned and worked on, as is the meter itself, so I can't speculate as to how easy/hard it will be in retail.

22. I did notice some new plays on offense but didn't have time to pore over the playbooks.

23. Both placekicks and punts can be blocked. Again, it's being tuned, so I don't know how easy or difficult it will be in retail, but I was able to get at least 1 of each and the AI got me at least 1 time in each.

24. The ratings have an impact on how much you're penalized for not executing the new mechanic perfectly. I think it also impacts certain timing windows.

Ratings also come into play with the new kick blocking mechanic. It's easier with elite players than it is with lower-rated guys.

25. The new zones will certainly take some adjusting to for players.

26. The kicking meter is a 3-click, sorta C shaped thing where you press A/X once to start it, again to set power, and once more to set accuracy. The accuracy window is determined by difficulty and ratings, and the speed of the meter is determined by difficulty.

27. AFAIK, no special teams trick plays on returns.

28. QBs are still holders on kicks.

29. Tackle battle: cannot be turned off as of now. When 2 players of equal ratings (in the tackle/truck department) engage in a 1-on-1 standup tackle, a button prompt will flash over their heads. In AI games, the user will have a small window of time to press the button and break out of the tackle. In user games, whoever hits it first will win the battle. This is interruptible by other players on the field, and does not come up outside of the very limited parameters they've set.

30. I didn't notice anything different when it came to the physics of tackling.

31. The AI uses ball carrier moves and can activate the new fakeout animations on users when appropriate.

32. Defensive auto flip changes responsibilities (not positions) for defensive players when the offense has flipped their play. Will also change front separately from coverage where appropriate.

33. You can turn off the visual feedback on auto flip.

34. Running requires more patience with the new gap fits and force/cutback responsibilities. Run defense will require you to pay more attention to your responsibility on the play, forcing where appropriate and not under-running your angle.

35. Ball physics examples: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...&postcount=337

36. You can choose your kick type before kicking the ball, and the AI will use the different kick types available to them.

37. Returns of punts and kicks still function largely the same as they have in the past.

38. QBs are beholden to the ball carrier tiers as well.

39. To the best of my knowledge, ball physics only come into play when the ball makes contact with something in the field. Everything prior to "loose ball" situations is handled roughly the same.

40. Bobbled catches are not in the game, neither are players reaching out for first downs.

41. There are new punt/field goal block animations.

42. New fumble recovery animations, guys flat on their stomach reaching the ball out to grab it.

43. Gap responsibilities are based on alignment in most plays. If the Dlineman is covering the Olineman, it'll be 2 gap. If not, 1 gap. Cannot change the responsibility by shifting DL around.

Last edited by mrprice33; 05-26-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Pro

smiley3's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: I've played ~40 hours of Madden 17: AMAlmost Anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
So, as a GameChanger, I've been lucky enough to be invited to EA's studios to play Madden 17. I've been given permission to answer questions here with some ground rules: I can only talk about what's been announced and I cannot give any impressions. I will always err on the side of caution but I will let you know if I can't answer something and why. With that said, fire away!

There's adidas cleats in the game. But is there adidas gloves also?
Old 05-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #3
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
@MrPrice if your still answering questions:

1- Are there new HB moves? or just the pop up and the blocking more so what is new to change the run game?

2- Did you use a Power Back, and was he useful as a bruiser ,trucking people.

3-Did stiff arm work if you used a Power Back?

4- Did you notice oline blocking all around be better? Ex- not standing there watching a defender just blow right by them, looking at them, but never even trying to engage them?

Also thanks for your time and answering our many many questions that you can.

The RB moves have been reworked within the tiered system. There are some new animations tied to it for offense and defense, but it's still a dice roll. So it's not like a power back will always be effective with a stiff arm or a small back will always be effective with a juke.

I can't really say if the oline play was better, since it's an impression.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #4
You know why I'm here...

jWILL253's Arena

OVR: 25

1. What do the new ball carrier controls consist of?

2. The new gap assignment features... how will they change OL/DL play, and does it have any affect on pass rushing?
Old 05-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
Pro

smiley3's Arena

OVR: 1

Is there a different feel to the game as in gameplay? Or does it it feel the same as 16?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #6
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

I'm on Tapatalk so it's going to take me a bit to copy my answers over but if you check the "3 phases thread" I've answered some of the above

Old 05-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

What are the new additions to zone defense? Have the zones been changed entirely? Is the pattern matching noticeably different than zone play last year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #8
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley3
Is there a different feel to the game as in gameplay? Or does it it feel the same as 16?

I can only answer things in objective terms. Unfortunately this is an impression, so I can't answer it. When I can, I will definitely give my opinion.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »